PDA

View Full Version : Prado 4/4

Cowboy Hookup
04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi, I'm one of the Newbies here. I hit Prado with the family. We are new to freshwater fishing and was attempting our second outing in the past 2 weeks. Our first at this lake.

Arrived at 10AM, weather was clear skies in the low 60's then warmed up to low 70's by the end of day and pretty breezy throughout the day.

I attempted to try to fish at far end of the lake by the camping grounds but as I got to the entrance I found out a Civil War Reenactment Event was going on closing off the last two parking lots, so change of plans.

First thing I noticed was a lot of anglers. Eventually found a spot by the canal connecting the 2 large bodies of the lake. Water clarity was fair. Set up trout rigs for the kids using combinations of Power bait and worms. I, in the other hand wanted to practice on the Walmart Special Baitcaster I picked up a few weeks earlier. One of my personal goals was to catch my very first Bass. Threw everything from senkos, roboworms, and even a 6" Castaic for the next 2 1/2 hours without much success or even a nibble. All I would be catching the next 4 hours was a ear full of gunfire from canons and rifles in the background from the Civil War fight. I thought I might have to jump in the lake from an incoming.

Sometime after 1PM I need to find our luck someplace else, we moved north of the boat docks. A very few anglers there had at least one trout. But when we get there the next 2 hours it would be skunk-o. Then a fellow angler had just arrived and after 15 mins. he hit on a trout with a night crawler. I thought we needed to catch something so I decide we might have better luck on trout. Problem was I didn't bring any crawlers.

Luck started to change the last part of the day. I found out there were crawlers in the park snack shop. I dropped down $3.50 and we were back in business. From 3:30 till 10 minutes till 6, we had the best lake fishing experience ever and a great rebound. I found a sweet spot in the lake in front of us. Among me and my 2 kids we had 13 hits, 10 lands, 3 broken off. Unfortunately other anglers on each side of us did not fair very well.
All were CADFG stockers in the 11" average but would trade that rather than a skunker any day. Until then my goal of getting the elusive bass will have to wait.

I've got pictures to share but the site gives me an failed error messages in uploading, can I get some 411 out there?

-Cowboy Hookup

basscatcher
04-05-2009, 03:34 PM
good job out there i love that lake but havent been thier for a couple months now.

God Bless

basscatcher

FishBalls
04-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Nice post , I camped out there before - it smelled like cow terd in the morning. Fishing was great though =).