PDA

View Full Version : Havasu 4-2 to 4-5

JENSEN500
04-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Kris,Derby (our dog)and I hit up havasu to stock up the house for the summer and hopefully get some striper blood in the boat.
The wind was kickin' 20-30mph steady with 40+ gusts' on fri. so no fishing. We went and got the boat storage unit for the summer and went to check the wind with hopes of it letting up,but no way jose'!! it was out of control. Went to the london bridge and checked ut the spring break scene. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! that was un real!!!! gotta love pasties!!!
Decide to brave the wind saturday,it was alot calmer.probably 10-15 mph w/o gusts. Hit up 2 spots i found while studying the map (i highly recommend a map studying session for those of you fishing the derby!!!!) anyways,i fopund the spots on the water,anchored up,dropped 2 lines and before we could get the others dropped,kris was on! a nice 2 lbr. we caught 2 more in 15-20 min. at that spot and decided to try the other spot. mind you ive seen people fishing these spots and didn't know why until i checked out the map.All i can say is this: Find the creek channel with very definitive drop offs and contours,anchor on the edge of the channel,CAST a 1oz carolina rig in the direction of the current,do not drop straight down,and let the under water current do the work of moving the bait,and fish on!!!!!

At the 2nd spot there were few fish on the graph,but when they are getting ready to spawn, they are so tight to the bottom,we wont be able to see the fish on the finder TRUST ME!!! we anchored,dropped 2 lines and kris was on AGAIN!! AND AGAIN!!!! THEN SHE HAD A DOUBLE,THEN ANOTHER DOUBLE!!!
Needless to say,she totally stroked the fish. We fished about 3.5-4 hrs for 13 nice fat fish! here are a few pics of the trip.
Pulled the anchor and a rock with quagga mussels all over it ,was jammed on it.These things are everywhere!

P.S. all stripers were packed with crawdads!! they are NOT feeding on shad. we didn't see one shad this weekend.not even on the graph. from what the guy at anglers pro shop in havasu said,the shad are all but gone and the stripers are getting ready to spawn.

Oh yea, almost forgot the the total slayage on sun. must have gotten 300-400 in 2 hrs........................butterflies that is, they were everywhere on rice rd. BILLIONS OF THEM!!!!!

And the 5th pic was for gary,Kris attempted a striper beheading,but failed, all the fish were too big!!!!

basscatcher
04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
did you hear anythin about shad at site 6? im going next week and i need info do you mind pm me on what you used.

God BLess

basscatcher

JENSEN500
04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Basscatcher, i have not heard anything about shad at all other than people pretty much cast netted all of the huge school at the london bridge. I think the shad are getting pretty scarce right now and only show occasionally. I dont lauch out of site 6 because my boat weighs too damn much to get it out when the ramp is wet,so i wasn't able to check it out.
We use a 3/4 and 1 oz. Carolina rig with a 5' leader and a 1" chunk of anchovie fished "catfish" style,just casting it out and letting it sit while anchored on the edge of the channel. All of our fish were caught in the south end of the lake around cattail cove.

Good luck,
jeff

basscatcher
04-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Basscatcher, i have not heard anything about shad at all other than people pretty much cast netted all of the huge school at the london bridge. I think the shad are getting pretty scarce right now and only show occasionally. I dont lauch out of site 6 because my boat weighs too damn much to get it out when the ramp is wet,so i wasn't able to check it out.
We use a 3/4 and 1 oz. Carolina rig with a 5' leader and a 1" chunk of anchovie fished "catfish" style,just casting it out and letting it sit while anchored on the edge of the channel. All of our fish were caught in the south end of the lake around cattail cove.

Good luck,
jeff

thank you so much bro, i am looking so foward for my trip. last year the shad were scarce a week before we got thier and when we got thier they showed up and man topwater was awesome.

God BLess

basscatcher

Santa Fe Eric
04-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Great Pictures and report!

LateFisher
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Jeff, great report and pictures. I have a friend that lives on the Ca. side near Havasu Landing that I plan to visit soon and will probably be my team mate for the derby. Anyway my question is how far from Havasu Landing are these fishing locations you are talking about. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as he and I are both amatures and need all the help we can get. Thanks Jeff

P.S. Where can I get the fishing maps you are talking about? Thanks again, John

JENSEN500
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
John,
The area we were fishing was around Cattail Cove and Black Meadows area,about 10-12 miles south of Havasu Landing. You can get the maps at Anglers Pro Shop in Havasu or most any tackle shop will have them or can get them for you.
We always fish in the south end of the lake,not only because we always catch fish there, but it is alot quieter then the upper end.The boat traffic can be ruthless during the derby and we prefer the ability to find a quiet area to fish.

here is the link to the map company and a pic of the map you want. It is only $7.95 and includes shipping!

http://www.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.php

good luck and we'll see ya at the derby,

jeff

Big Country
04-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice Jeff...sounds like you're dialed in already.

It also looks like you have a different boat than you had last year, more space and comfort.

Good luck in a few weeks.

JENSEN500
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice Jeff...sounds like you're dialed in already.

It also looks like you have a different boat than you had last year, more space and comfort.

Good luck in a few weeks.

Hey Len,

Kris and I got a 23' deck boat that i outfitted for the derby,hell its even got a bathroom for Kris so I dont have to make those dreaded beach trips during the derby.

Really wish you guys were going this year,but its probably better this way, all the fish we got this weekend were out of your spot!

Take care bro,

jeff

basscatcher
04-06-2009, 04:07 PM
John,
The area we were fishing was around Cattail Cove and Black Meadows area,about 10-12 miles south of Havasu Landing. You can get the maps at Anglers Pro Shop in Havasu or most any tackle shop will have them or can get them for you.
We always fish in the south end of the lake,not only because we always catch fish there, but it is alot quieter then the upper end.The boat traffic can be ruthless during the derby and we prefer the ability to find a quiet area to fish.

here is the link to the map company and a pic of the map you want. It is only $7.95 and includes shipping!

http://www.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.php

good luck and we'll see ya at the derby,

jeff

kennys rod and reel have alot of them.

Eat Sleep Fish
04-07-2009, 09:44 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT! nice to see havasu kicking up again. i might be up there in a couple weeks, got a house and a tritoon there but havent been up inm a while. last i heard fishing sucked but here we go baby....

NICE JOB OUT THERE BRO!

Big Country
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Congrats on the deck boat!

Just remember something about that spot...I didn't know it existed until you told me about it as I was desperately begging for info just to put a single fish on my boat.

Damn good spot though!

LateFisher
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Jeff, thanks for all the info you gave me !!!! I have'nt made plans yet, I still have to confirm with my friends out there to make sure all is good for them. I'd like to come by and meet you and your family while i'm there, if thats OK please PM me with directions. If all goes well I plan to be there on the 14th and leave the 18th. Thanks again John

JENSEN500
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
i will pm you some info later tonight,

jeff

Big Country
04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Jeff,

You know anyone fishing single looking for a tourney partner? Since my bro can't go, maybe I can swing it with someone else.

Let me know.

Ambassadorhawg
04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I see that the butterflies attacked your truck on the way out there!

So funny, I was expecting a LMB/SMB report from you and then I saw the pics, LOL!!!

JENSEN500
04-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I see that the butterflies attacked your truck on the way out there!

So funny, I was expecting a LMB/SMB report from you and then I saw the pics, LOL!!!

That was on the way home!! It was frickin' nuts on the 62 between Vidal Jct. and the 62/177 split. I still haven't washed the 'burb yet,hope the detailer can get it all off :)

BingJr
04-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Ima be there Next week 13-18 as well. Lookin to do some serious stripey fishiing as well as other stuff. Looking foward to it. Looks fun.

Nice fish especially in the conditions!

Seeya out there.

JENSEN500
04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
we will be fishing the lower end of the lake the 17th and 18th (next weekend)

bluehunter
04-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Good luck out there I flew over the lake yesterday and what a site from the plane I tell you take as well as the Colorado River that flows below it. This area is in my plans soon.

JENSEN500
04-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Good luck out there I flew over the lake yesterday and what a site from the plane I tell you take as well as the Colorado River that flows below it. This area is in my plans soon.

Bluehunter, this place is becoming a hot spot for the flatties.Last year my GF (striper chic) got a 19.7 lb flattie out of here and my bros wife got a 9 lbr jigging a spoon the next day. flattie population is exploding here and would love to see you put on a tourny here this summer!

for all of our sake,put one on this year here!!! LOL

jeff

bluehunter
04-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks you. I really want to expand and check out that area as well as the parker strip I hear really good things about that vacinity. I will look into it and maybe catch a trip their soon and hit you up for some details sometime this summer.

JENSEN500
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks you. I really want to expand and check out that area as well as the parker strip I hear really good things about that vacinity. I will look into it and maybe catch a trip their soon and hit you up for some details sometime this summer.

you got it! I've got a rental there,so if you need a place to stay and its avail. you are more than welcome and its alot cheaper than a hotel.