PDA

View Full Version : fly reel help

basscatcher
04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
so today i tried my fly rod and through out my day the clicker on my reel slowly dies off next thing i know i got no clicker and my little drag in my reel is gone. i dont know what to do. and it feels different know when i reel it in than it did before. does anyone know how to solve this.

God Bless

basscatcher

smokinflies
04-04-2009, 09:51 PM
so today i tried my fly rod and through out my day the clicker on my reel slowly dies off next thing i know i got no clicker and my little drag in my reel is gone. i dont know what to do. and it feels different know when i reel it in than it did before. does anyone know how to solve this.

God Bless

basscatcher

cool that you're bringing the fly rod out. what type of reel is it?

oh how's pudd be donig lately? i'm thinking about going there soon. pm me

trout worm
04-05-2009, 12:14 AM
yeah, what kind of reel is it... it sounds like the metal "clip" that makes the clicking and creates tension is broken.... you can check with the manufacturer, they should have a diagram of the reel set up so you can compare what's in vs what should be in the reel. i am sure they can get you the part if you are past the warranty period.

Flying
04-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeah post up the make and model.Pictures of the reel with the spool off will help too.

You just may need to take it apart and clean it. The clicker can also be switched for left or right retrieve. Your may have just moved.

For the drag you are going to need new parts but I wouldn't worry about that too much yet. I rarely ever have to use the reel to bring in fish.

smokinflies
04-05-2009, 10:42 AM
if you paid less then 50 bucks for it, toss it.

basscatcher
04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
it was a combo set up that i got for christmas.

God Bless

basscatcher

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I've had the same problem with a Fenwick Combo fly rod/reel setup. I took the reel apart and found a spring was broken that controlled the clicking and drag system. I found a safety pin about the same guage as the spring wire, cut the pin to the same length as the spring , greased it up good and put it back together. It has been working great ever since. But I have progressed to having better equipment and using that combo to teach friends the art of flyfishing.
Another option so that your combo isn't a total loss, just get an inexpensive reel to replace the broken one.
Hope this helps.
TTFM

PUDD MASTER BAITER
04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey bass catcher.if it was bought at bps, take it back, and tell them its brand new. They should do something for you. The guys at the fly shop ,are cool guys. Depending on how much the combo cost ,chances are the reel isnt worth repairing . Let me know what wieght ,your combo is .i have a reel ,ill give you at no cost. I have to many. Lets hook up a at the pudd hole, and catch some pan fish . I just got 10 red ears ,on my 3 wieght fly rod sat. My secret weapon works every time. Pm me.peace out, and god bless....mike the pmb.....

Billy Bass
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey BC, it's great to see ytou are expanding your horizons.
A word to the wise, however.
Most fly rods are very limber, and are almost useless when it comes to snagging spawning bass off of their beds!