PDA

View Full Version : 4/4/2009 - The Lagoon with 160 Scouts

greg
04-04-2009, 05:29 PM
This is my third year assisting the Izaak Walton League taking Scouts fishing on the Lagoon while the Sport Chalet Tournament was lead on the main lake. This morning, along with the Lake Irvine Pro Staff, we helped 160 Scouts catch some trout today but more importantly, teach the next generation a sport that we enjoy and conservation of our fishing resources. The hot ticket was garlic PB with Gulp garlic spray. Most Scouts caught fish, some got limits of 1/2-3/4 pound trout. The Izaak Walton League purcharsed fish which was stocked in the Lagoon with Lake Irvine matching the stocking - nearly 1000 pounds of fish went into the Lagoon yesterday for this Special Event. At noon, we fed the Scouts and parents hot dogs, chips and drinks. Fun was had by all and some will enjoy a fresh trout dinner tonight.

The Izaak Walton League is a conservation organization that takes a common-sense approach toward protecting our country's natural heritage and improving outdoor recreation opportunities for all Americans.

Dave92706
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I was at the lake this morning and was very impressed with the quality of the Irvine Lake Pro Team seminars held for the scouts . Seems like the scouts had a great time and the event went like clockwork for those who organized it. The scouts were taught subjects ranging from the lake's natural wildlife, knot tying, baits,fish cleaning, fishing regulations and tackle. A group of scouts was rotated after each 15 minute seminar until all subjects were covered .
Great Job Pro Team and Ikes !!
Dave92706

Troutman65
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
marlon Mead and his Pro Staff are top notch !!!! These guys know their stuff. They have jobs during the week and come in on the weekends to help the kids learn how to fish. My hats off to these guys. They are the BEST in my book !!!:Thumbs Up:

Mondo21
04-05-2009, 06:41 AM
It was a beautiful day yesterday. I saw a few of the smiling Scouts out at bait shop. This will be a day they won't forget. Good jobs out there fellas. Cindy:Smile:

Hunt4Fish
04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Guys: I am with the Izaak Walton League of Orange, Ca. ( 10th year for me) and we would like to THANK a few of your fellow FFN'ers for helping out the 160 scouts and approx 100 parents at the 8th Annual IKE'S Kids Day Fishing Programs.

A Big THANK YOU to the following:

Daniella (Vineline) and Jimmy (Vineassist) and there excellent staff are always on board with this program months in advance working behind the scenes planning how to accommodate the 260 participants (During the Berkley/Sports Chalet Tournament, wow!! ) so they will have a great time at our favorite lake. Some of there work included mowing down the vegetation where the scouts camped, calling in the porta-potties, setting up the canopies and most of all making sure that the trout arrive on time and in good shape. We also want to thank the Irvine Lake Board for the low cost of this program, which by my estimate they are only breaking even at best. Did you guys know that part of the reason the road was raised between the lagoon and the main lake was to make sure this program would not get washed out from the rising water!!! THANKS Vineline, Vineassist, Nick, Rudy and staff !!!!!!

Irvine Lake Pro Team is also working on this months in advance, and the seminars just seem to get better every year. Pro Team Director Marlon Meade started this program 8 years ago, and many others prior to this one. He makes sure the basics are covered in these seminars because he knows that there are a lot of first timers at this program. The team has many meetings prior to the event to get everyone’s input to make this the best it can be, with an emphasis on FUN !!!!! The team then heads down to the lagoon to help the kids reel'em in. These guys are here on there own free time. Thank You Marlon, Bob, Brian, Ken, Mark, Steve and Dave, You guys are GREAT!!!!!!

Greg (Greg) lol, has been helping out for his third year and shows up on Friday afternoon with a few other of us IKE's to help set up the lagoon, the food, and the Ikes Camp, he spends the night and is up at o-dark-thirty with the rest of us to get ready for the kids, Greg mans one of the 6 stations on the lagoon for the entire morning where he rigs up tackle, nets fish, untangles multiple lines, lol. Greg is also our on site doctor !!!! Many smiles and thank you’s from the kids and their parents is his only fee for the 2 days.
Greg, Thanks for all the help, the kids really benefit from it!!!

Tim (Timster) joined us for his first year and helped out at one of the seminars with me where we showed the kids and parents the basic shore set up with the strike indicators, setting your drag, how to hold your rod, and the fish regulations on the lake, there is nothing more valuable at a seminar than having one of the best lake regulars giving tips to the kids. We also showed them the Fusion "Rodhogg" (Yammafish,Ladyfish) rod holder and mentioned the FNN site to use as a real time resource when heading out to a body of water. I believe both these items help you catch fish and that is why they were included. Tim really filled in on the proper use of the Rodhogg among other topics. Tim then also manned one of the stations on the lagoon for the entire morning for the exact same fee as Greg, :)
Tim, THANK YOU for being there Saturday, your experience shared with the kids is priceless.

Dave (Dave92706) came out to be our photographer, he is an expert in this field and has some awesome equipment, I hope he posts the group shot, it was great comedy for us onlookers watching Marlon herd the kids to the stage for the photo and then having to adjust for Dave's expert eye until Dave gave the thumbs up, instead of saying "cheese" for one of the shots we had them say "stinky garlic power bait", lol.
Dave, Thanks for coming out Saturday, can't wait to see the pics !!!!

On behalf of the IZAAK WALTON LEAGUE of ORANGE, THANK YOU fellow FNN'ers for making some great memories for the kids!!!!!!!!!!! Hunt4Fish

yamafish
04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Tim (Timster) joined us for his first year and helped out at one of the seminars with me where we showed the kids and parents the basic shore set up with the strike indicators, setting your drag, how to hold your rod, and the fish regulations on the lake, there is nothing more valuable at a seminar than having one of the best lake regulars giving tips to the kids. We also showed them the Fusion "Rodhogg" (Yammafish,Ladyfish) rod holder and mentioned the FNN site to use as a real time resource when heading out to a body of water. I believe both these items help you catch fish and that is why they were included. Tim really filled in on the proper use of the Rodhogg among other topics. Tim then also manned one of the stations on the lagoon for the entire morning for the exact same fee as Greg, :)
Tim, THANK YOU for being there Saturday, your experience shared with the kids is priceless.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/ladyfish_photos/DSCN2639.jpg
Many thanks to The Lake Irvine Pro Team!
Timster as well !
You guys are the True ambassadors!
Thank you guys for supporting our rodholder - Rodhogg
The official rodholder of Team 57

Marlon.. you da' man!

sansou
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Greg,

Pleasure meeting with you recently.

Nice job to all that work with the Boy Scouts!

Eat Sleep Fish
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
marlon meade is a trout himself. lol

he's good people.

Fisherman57
04-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Always nice to see members particpate in events like this........ Well done gentlemen! Great stuff!

See ya at the TEAM 57 Sierra event Greg!

Dana

Hunt4Fish
04-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Dang, I forgot to mention a few other peeps:

James and Gabrial are the two kids pictured above with Marlon, Yamafish,Timster and Brian. These two brothers were there at the crack of dawn and helped out in the seminars and were on the water all day fishing and handing off to kids that had not caught one yet. I really admire these guys attitude and politeness towards others. If you could put a face on the future of fishing these two would be it, and they already know the tricks to turn brief nibbles into full stringers at Irvine Lake. Marlon likes to refer to them as the Jr Pro Team :)
James and Gab, THANKS for helping out and helping others!!!!!!!

Alex (Dad) Kudo's on raising two great kids and for also taking alot of photo's of the event, can't wait to see them.

Melanie is the new events coordinator for the lake and did a great job assisting us, especially when we saw the water rising. THANKS Melanie!!!

Thanks again,
Hunt4Fish outttt!!!!!!