PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Sierra Opener...Fern Creek Lodge

Procure kid
04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
heading up to my first opener ever in three weeks. Been going to the June lake loop for 35 years...usually in early May and late Oct. First time ever for an opener. We are staying at the Fern Creek Lodge (another first), and wondering what we are in for. Any suggestions on lakes? I imagine Gull will be a zoo...not really willing to blow that morning on Silver, and definitely not a Grant lake fan. So we are leaning towards June, but we only have float tubes...And I know it will be cold. Any suggestions, on bait?, locations? events? Time we need to get out that morning? time season actually starts? anything else we should know?

billy b
04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I did 30 great years out of June Lake Marina. I liked to anchor near the highway at the East end .... near the beach. That may be a good access point for you. You could also go in at the North end of the beach and work your way up the North side too.

I liked to cast lures first thing (Kastmaster, ZRay, TBuoyants - might try the new LipZip lures also) ... then use Sierra Gold and PBaits ... behind a plastic bubble ... retrieved slowly.

I would need to be anchored at least an hour before fishing begins ... seems like it was about 4 am.

Best year was 7 fish over 2.5# in the first 1.5 hours.

You might also want to try over below Boulder Lodge along the weeds and near their dock ... if you can cozy on in.

Oh, don't forget the Carson Peak Inn for a steak...the highlight of the trip! ... if you're takin the wife/roomate/social director/CEO,CFO,CSO

Love to hear reports.

Procure kid
04-05-2009, 10:30 PM
So you would actually use a float tube on the opener. And great idea on the beach entry. Also, you would anchor out an hour early? two pound line? any luck the following day?

billy b
04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
If I didn't make it clear. I was saying I rented a boat of of J L Marina for 30 years ... always anchored down by the beach ... at least an hour (FREEZING HOUR) before sunrise. I have no experience with tubing. Looks like a great idea ... wonder if you wouldn't be pretty cold on opening day?

If I can be of any more help ... let me know.

GOOD fishun!

Procure kid
04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
did you always have that boat reserved way prior to the opener?

billy b
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
"did you always have that boat reserved way prior to the opener?"

Yep ... yep ... yep

I got on the list when John and Mickie first took over the Marina. I kept it year to year just like I make sure I got my reservations in early in the year for room and boat. I got moved up to eventually boat #2. Why did I quit? (you didn't ask...) I bought a cabin in BBL and decided it was more cozy and practical to go there ... except my buddy always was flaking out.

I'll still hit up June in the early fall and chew down a steak at the Carson Peak Inn. Did that for 30 years too.

GOOD LUCK ... BTW, are you making any plans?

sevenout
04-09-2009, 01:24 AM
"If you get a bit tired and cold sitting in the water at 0400, stop by cabin 5 at Big Rock and warm up your toes. Our condo was cancelled and we rebooked B.R. for the opener"-Team Hebrew Nationals

Procure kid
04-09-2009, 08:44 PM
we were able to get a cabin at Fern creek lodge, first time staying at this location. Usually stayed at big rock. We dont have a boat reservation, wish we did. Any tips on getting one?

thanks for all the info!

EMarty
04-09-2009, 11:14 PM
We did an opener at June from our float tubes several years ago. Put in at the swim beach and slow trolled streamer in front of the beach and thru the corner where the beach gets close to the highway. It was cold and had some light snow fall, but manage to catch fish. Everyone thinks sitting in the water is extreamly cold, but if got the right gear on under the neoprene waders, it's not all that bad.

Best of luck.