PDA

View Full Version : size limits for crabs?

mr iono
06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
hi, just wanted to know if there was a size limit and open/closed season for crabs. also, are there ones you cant keep or is not edible? thanks

lucky catch
06-23-2007, 10:06 PM
The minimum size is 4" from the inside edge of the spikes, from the left to the right side of the shell. Crabs season is open all year long and you can basically take all the crab you need, the limit is 35 per person. Figure 5 crabs per person (and a lot of beer)for a good size meal.Usually a crab has to be 4 1/2" to have good size claws. The males have much bigger claws than the females so throw the females back. Also large spider crabs taste better than the rock crabs but they have REALLY thick shells so only large spider crabs are worth taking. You also need a hammer to break their shells. You don't have to wait for night fall to catch crabs, their active all the time. You can use anything for bait and let the traps soak for about 1/2 hour before you pull the first trap. The conical traps can hold a lot of crab. Sometimes you'll have a hard time pulling the conical traps up, because they fill up with crab.

We're going to Ventura breakwater 4th of July day to load up on crabs for a big beach party north of the marina that evening. :P :P :P

mr iono
06-24-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks for the info lucky catch. i went hooping the other day and ended up with 5 crabs, which were red/orange? most people said at the pier said they never caught it before. also saw some people keeping small lobsters.

irvinec32
07-05-2007, 09:32 PM
hey lucky catch,

do you know good places around newport bay? i have caught a few small ones on balboa peir, but that is the only place i have tried.

TIA