PDA

View Full Version : Jack Jigs & Ganion Jigs

smitty99
04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Guys I am going on an overnight trip this weekend out to San Nicolas Island for shallow rock fishing. I was told by one of the guys going that I need to pick up some Jack Jigs and Ganion (Ganyon?) jigs. I went to Turners in Redondo for nada but I live in the South Bay.

I googled them but can't seem to find an overwhelming amount of information on what these things even look like or where I could get them in my area.

Was wondering if anyone here might have some more info.

Thanks!

Nessie Hunter
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Jack jigs??? Im sure thats old terminology for Salas & Tady type jigs?? Yo Yo rig/jig..

Ganion is just a multi hook rig above the weight..
Used to do them with leaders and swivels to get two or more hooks going out to side above a weight...
More common now, is a dropper loop with a couple of Loops for hooks above the weight... Much faster and easier to rig up.
Rock fish are normally smaller (up to 5# or so).. No real need for extra rigging to bring them up, especially shallow & with quality lines.....

If its a party/open boat the deck hands will show you how to rig up...

ghetto dad
04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah definitely pick up some jax jigs man......DEFINITELY....i dont know who would have them up here...but i know Fishermans Hardware in Huntington and Long Beach usally have them.....

id also recommend 50 lb spectra on your reel....

get the jax in mainly 6 and 8 oz..that will work fine with spectra....actually, mainly 8 oz....get the blue/white, red/white, and orange w/copper back...those are my 3 favorite colors.....good luck and have fun man

dont worry about gangions, you can tie your own.....

GD

cappo
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Purfields has a few selection of jax jigs, they are in culver city area.
Bobs sporting goods has them also in WLA.

fuj
04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Baja Fish Gear in Lomita should have a fair selection of Jax jigs left in the smaller sizes. They had less than a half-dozen of the large, close to a pound models a couple of weeks ago. I used these large ones last weekend on a San Martin trip and hooked a 15# cow cod on an orange/copper Jax.

sansou
04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
If you find yourself in SD, about the only place I find them are at Fishermen's Landing. Not cheap either.

Try putting a short ganion with the hot pink Gulp above the jig about 12 inches up. As for the jax itself, I don't even tip it and I seem to do fine fishing them in Mexico.

If you can't find a jax jig, try using a siwashed PL68 (or similar size). The advantage being that if there are YT around as well, you stand a chance to land one on the way up.

Alternatively, if you want to fish artificials and can't find jax jigs, buy some 8oz to 16 oz leadheads along with the Kalin's Mogambos or Berkely Gulp (I like the stinky dark green in 6 and 8 inch). Good success on lings with them. The downside is the that the tails get sheared right off pretty often, so it gets to be expensive. When it happens, I add a whole squid as a tail, as you can never have enough bait to satisfy big lings.

Go Sundevils!

smitty99
04-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the help fellas. I'll surely be able to track some down now!

smitty99
04-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Sansou... Hot Pink Gulp?

Go Devils!

If you find yourself in SD, about the only place I find them are at Fishermen's Landing. Not cheap either.

Try putting a short ganion with the hot pink Gulp above the jig about 12 inches up. As for the jax itself, I don't even tip it and I seem to do fine fishing them in Mexico.

If you can't find a jax jig, try using a siwashed PL68 (or similar size). The advantage being that if there are YT around as well, you stand a chance to land one on the way up.

Alternatively, if you want to fish artificials and can't find jax jigs, buy some 8oz to 16 oz leadheads along with the Kalin's Mogambos or Berkely Gulp (I like the stinky dark green in 6 and 8 inch). Good success on lings with them. The downside is the that the tails get sheared right off pretty often, so it gets to be expensive. When it happens, I add a whole squid as a tail, as you can never have enough bait to satisfy big lings.

Go Sundevils!

sansou
04-03-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0043433119786a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=gulp+saltwater&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

....or similar. The pink seems to work the best all the times I have used it. It givesyou the confidence that you still have a bait left on your ganions after you swing and you miss. Otherwise, with squid strips, you wonder if you should reel up the 300ft just to check. (keep in mind squid otherwise works perfectly fine too)

victor101
04-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Check out Sav-on Tackle in Santa Fe Springs. IMO its worth the drive. They will have everything you need...heavy sinkers, good selection of Jigs including Jax jigs, pre-rigged ganions....etc..you wont be disapointed with their selection and customer service.

Lightline
04-03-2009, 11:28 PM
boaters world is going out of business

smitty99
04-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I ended up heading over to Sav-On Tackle in Santa Fe Springs. WOW that place has a TON of stuff!!! Thanks for the suggestion I think I was able to get everything I will need (and then some)

LA Smoker
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Hope you picked up the Copper and Orange Jax Jig. Fish N Fools in Chatsworth?? carries them. They even have the big one, I think it's a 10 oz.

Jackpot Jimmy
04-09-2009, 08:37 PM
My suggestion when using any jig for rockfishing, Jax Jig or Diamond Jig, etc, get a Mustad 3551 treble hook - 3/0 or 4/0. With the lighter wire, if you get stuck in the rocks, you can easily straighten the hook if you have tied a decent knot and have somewhat heavy line - 30 or 40#.

ghetto dad
04-09-2009, 08:41 PM
My suggestion when using any jig for rockfishing, Jax Jig or Diamond Jig, etc, get a Mustad 3551 treble hook - 3/0 or 4/0. With the lighter wire, if you get stuck in the rocks, you can easily straighten the hook if you have tied a decent knot and have somewhat heavy line - 30 or 40#.

hopefully he dont hook a big ling.....