PDA

View Full Version : Dropshotting, gulp! attractant, kastmaster, and frozen bait questions...

TimmayWOOHOO
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
A lot for one post but whatever...

First off... drop shotting. I know the basics and how to tie it and all, but just have a few questions on the specifics. Because of the nature of the rig it seems like it would work best fished close to vertical, is this the case or is it also effective to throw a drop shot rig way out there and bounce it up and down real slow all the way back in? And would gulp 2" shrimp be a good bait to throw on a drop shot?

Second question is on the gulp spray bottle attractants they have now. In the saltwater versions there's four scents (shrimp, herring, crab, and squid), if I wanted to use the attractant to squirt into my bags of gulp that are low on juice, which scent would you recommend for socal surf fishing?

On the kastmasters, simple question, swivel or no swivel, fast or slow retrieve, jerking or steady?

And if I'm throwing frozen bait on a second rod while I'm working plastics, what kind of rig would you recommend? I'm using anchovies and shrimp, do I want whole ones or pieces?

Thanks in advance

calico killer kevin
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
"First off... drop shotting. I know the basics and how to tie it and all, but just have a few questions on the specifics. Because of the nature of the rig it seems like it would work best fished close to vertical, is this the case or is it also effective to throw a drop shot rig way out there and bounce it up and down real slow all the way back in? And would gulp 2" shrimp be a good bait to throw on a drop shot?"
More vertical, the better IMO. But, that's only for water deeper than 15-20ft from a boat. Retrieving super slow with a few shakes is great as well and is the most common type of dropshotting. Gulp 2" Shrimps are perfect for the application and are one of my favorite dropshot baits for certain saltwater species.

"Second question is on the gulp spray bottle attractants they have now. In the saltwater versions there's four scents (shrimp, herring, crab, and squid), if I wanted to use the attractant to squirt into my bags of gulp that are low on juice, which scent would you recommend for socal surf fishing?"
I personally hate the gulp spray. It's super thin and is crap. I prefer Procure Sand Shrimp or Anchovy and Unibutter. Just to soak the baits in though, it will be fine.
On the kastmasters, simple question, swivel or no swivel, fast or slow retrieve, jerking or steady?
Split rings only. The smaller ones come with it, but the larger ones don't. In that case, you're gonna have to buy some. I prefer slow and steady, but when there's alot of bait in the water and fish are crashing on them, I speed it up. Just experiment and you will find what you prefer.

And if I'm throwing frozen bait on a second rod while I'm working plastics, what kind of rig would you recommend? I'm using anchovies and shrimp, do I want whole ones or pieces?
Second rods with bait are usually a pain, but I would use a high/low rig or dropper loop. Use a pyramid sinker ranging from 1-4oz depending of the swell. Whole or shrimp doesn't matter. Usually, fish the smaller baits and then slowly move up in size if they're biting. Size 2 or 4 baitholder hooks.