PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube Noob~ Questions??/

shy_boxer
06-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I am a tube noob and I would like to invest into a float tube in the near future but I don't have a clue of what to get? Basically, I just want to buy the best bang for the buck. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1. What is the best float tube you can buy for the money? How Much?

2. What is the best fins you can buy for the money? How much?

3. What is the best wader you can buy for the money? How Much?

4. How much would do I need to spend on fully decked out tube and supplies? No ebay please. I don't trust ebay! I got ripped off before.

P.S. Please inform me of what retailer I should go to buy my float tube and supplies.

jbacsaf
06-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Hope this helps...

1. If you weigh about or less than 200lbs, the ODC 420 ($160, 250lbs weight capacity) or Fish Cat ($160, 250lbs weight capacity). If you weigh over 200lbs, you probably want an Outcast Fat Cat ($300, 300lbs weight capacity) or Super Fat Cat ($350, 350lbs weight capacity). All of the tubes previously mentioned are "V" shaped, have 2 air bladders for added safety, and has room for storage in the back. Another good option to consider is the Caddis Navigator II ($140?, 350lbs weight capacity). This tube is fast , has I believe 4 or 5 air bladders, but has no storage in the back. I'm sure others will have their own opinions as to which is the best bang for the buck, because there's a lot to consider. Bottom line, all of the tubes mentioned are excellent.

2. Again, people will give you two responses here: Hot Spot fins ($80) or Force fins (no clue on the price). I personally use Hot Spot fins and do recommend them (HAHA, beat you to it Nessie!!!)

3. Don't know which is the best waders because I bought whatever was on sale at Turner's. I use the Hodgman breathable waders ($80?). I definitely recommend breathable waders because you can stay cool in the summer. If you get cold easily, like me, wear sweats under them and you will be okay.

4. Don't know how much you will need to spend, because it will be up to you what to put on the tube. You can make rod holders and rack out of pvc, leashes (to tie down everything you don't want to lose), and it would cost less than $30. If you want a fish finder, then obviously it would cost more.

Bought my tube, fins, and waders from Turner's Outdoorsman. Post up if you have other questions. I'm sure the other tubers here wouldn't mind sharing their 2 cents with you.

shy_boxer
06-17-2007, 06:35 PM
jbacsaf Thank you for the really informative info!

rcfb73
06-17-2007, 11:03 PM
i have the navigator II and it has treated me well the 4 times ive taken it out. ...easy to maneuver, fast, not that heavy. i did alot of research on tubes before i went out and bought one and it came down to either the ODC420 or the nav II....i got the nav II cause big 5 had them on sale for like 100 dollars.

i also use hotspot fins...this is my first float tube setup, and like i said before, i really did my research and looked up allt he different styles of fins...i went with the hot spots cause of the great reviews, and the fact that they float if one happens to come off. they also propel the tube really really well and i can turn on a dime.

waders...i originally were gonna get the hodgmann breathlites, ive read equal reviews of good and bad, but i still figured id get them...when i went to buy them at turners they didnt have them so i picked up the D-A-M breathables that they carry. i am extremely satisfied with teh guality of these waders and they should last a while...the only bad thing ive found is i cant find any reviews anywhere, and the website doesnt seem to have that much customer service...waders is one of those objects that shows the "you get what you pay for" theory quite well.

i learned that getting into float tubing is kinda costly in the beginning, but my frame of mind was to buy all the good stuff in the beginning so there would be no need to upgrade later. good luck with your adventure and hopefully we can tube together!

Ghost
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Here's a great site for any float tube info, check out all of them & you can come up w/ what is the best tube for you:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/Float_Tubing_General_F81/

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/Float_Tubing_General_F81/BEST_OF_THE_BEST_P184642/

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/Float_Tubing_General_F81/BEST_OF_THE_BEST_06_%26_07_P322050/

There is alot of good reading & information, you may need a 12 pack or a pot full of java.