PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Hawks

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I live in Orange County and at dusk and at night you sure can notice these flying creatures. I am sure the Vector Control has breed and released these to help control the mosquito population. With the West Nile Virus threat I am glad these mosquito killing creatures are out doing their job. It just seems this year there is a ton more of them around. Anyone else notice these flying creatures?

TShaffer
04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
What are mosquito hawks? Are they bats? I've seen lots of bats at dusk but that's not a new occurance.

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 08:48 PM
What are mosquito hawks? Are they bats? I've seen lots of bats at dusk but that's not a new occurance.

They have wings , and body and fly in search of mosquitos.

troutdog
04-01-2009, 08:53 PM

This is what they look like TShaffer...they often congregate around Jimmy at the Vine for some reason :ROFL:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/mh.jpg

TD

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
This is what they look like TShaffer.http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/mh.jpg

Yep, That what they look like . Thanks TD.

TShaffer
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
This is what they look like TShaffer.http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/mh.jpg

Yep, That what they look like . Thanks TD.

That looks like a mosquito. I thought a mosquito hawk would be some kind of bird or bat.

BIGRED KILLA
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
They are really big they allmost look like a daddy longleg spider but with wings some peeps think thay are a big mosquito. I new thay ate mosquitos never knew they raised them or the name of them they seem to dye really fast in you house i allways throw them out alive asap thanks for the post.

Bigred

trashetanush
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Ive killed like 20 of those in the past 3 days.

lurk 182
04-01-2009, 11:12 PM
i call those daddy long legs. they are very welcome in the crib. they handle their business on the mosquito genocide. they're rolling deep in the LBC right now.

City Dad
04-02-2009, 07:15 AM
They are really big they allmost look like a daddy longleg spider but with wings some peeps think thay are a big mosquito. I new thay ate mosquitos never knew they raised them or the name of them they seem to dye really fast in you house i allways throw them out alive asap thanks for the post.

Bigred

many people don't realize that before mosquito hawks, they tried to breed sasquatches for the same purpose... only to find that sasquatches much prefer the blood of small pets over that of mosquitos...

JENSEN500
04-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Sorry bro.,gotta shut you down on the mosquito hawk.

A crane fly,
(Diptera: Tipulidae).
Photo by Drees.

Common Name: Crane fly
Scientific Name: Varies
Order: Diptera
Description: Although some people think these flies look like Texas-sized mosquitoes, and they have also wrongly been called "mosquito hawks." Crane flies are large tan-colored fragile flies with long legs. Adults and larvae do not feed on mosquitoes. Larval forms of crane flies are grey-brown cylindrical larvae which may bear fleshy lobes on the (posterior) end. Occasionally, the segments towards the end of the body can be greatly expanded.

There are many species of these flies that occur in Texas. The term "mosquito hawk" generally refers to dragonflies (Odonata), but could also refer to the large true mosquito species in the genus, Toxorhynchites (Diptera), which have larval stages that are predaceous on mosquito larvae.

Life Cycle: Larvae are often encountered under layers of decomposing leaves in wet locations such as ditch banks in December and January. Adults emerge in February and March.

Habitat and Food Source(s): Larvae have chewing mouthparts. Crane fly larvae feed primarily on decomposing organic matter. Adults do not feed. They commonly occur in moist environments such as woodlands, streams and flood plains although some species inhabit open fields, dry rangeland and even desert environments. In compost piles, they often occur on the soil surface below the pile of decaying vegetation. Some species have been reported to feed on roots of forage crops, turf grasses and seedling field crops. Usually their presence causes little concern because they are assisting in the process of decomposition. Larvae have not been reported to feed on vegetable transplants or garden plants in Texas. Adults have long slender legs which are easily broken and may be missing in some specimens.

Pest Status: Large numbers of adult crane flies can be a nuisance indoors; medically harmless.

Management: None, not generally considered a pest.

Skyler
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM

A crane fly,
Photo by Drees.

Description: Although some people think these flies look like Texas-sized mosquitoes, and they have also wrongly been called "mosquito hawks." Crane flies are large tan-colored fragile flies with long legs. Adults and larvae do not feed on mosquitoes. Larval forms of crane flies are grey-brown cylindrical larvae which may bear fleshy lobes on the (posterior) end. Occasionally, the segments towards the end of the body can be greatly expanded.

There are many species of these flies that occur in Texas. The term "mosquito hawk" generally refers to dragonflies (Odonata), but could also refer to the large true mosquito species in the genus, Toxorhynchites (Diptera), which have larval stages that are predaceous on mosquito larvae.

Life Cycle: Larvae are often encountered under layers of decomposing leaves in wet locations such as ditch banks in December and January. Adults emerge in February and March.

Habitat and Food Source(s): Larvae have chewing mouthparts. Crane fly larvae feed primarily on decomposing organic matter. Adults do not feed. They commonly occur in moist environments such as woodlands, streams and flood plains although some species inhabit open fields, dry rangeland and even desert environments. In compost piles, they often occur on the soil surface below the pile of decaying vegetation. Some species have been reported to feed on roots of forage crops, turf grasses and seedling field crops. Usually their presence causes little concern because they are assisting in the process of decomposition. Larvae have not been reported to feed on vegetable transplants or garden plants in Texas. Adults have long slender legs which are easily broken and may be missing in some specimens.

Pest Status: Large numbers of adult crane flies can be a nuisance indoors; medically harmless.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing all that, lol. As for the eating of mosquitos, they actually don't eat ANYTHING during their adult life (which is quite short).

sansou
04-02-2009, 03:20 PM
many people don't realize that before mosquito hawks, they tried to breed sasquatches for the same purpose... only to find that sasquatches much prefer the blood of small pets over that of mosquitos...

CD,

Dissapointed here.

Ahem...I believe the term "sasquatch" is a derogatory term no longer used in today's society.

The correct term is "Follicularly Challenged Socially Regressive". Geeez....

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/sansou/010109010304010401200706228bcb95115.jpg

Signed,

Caveman.

Troutman65
04-02-2009, 03:34 PM

A crane fly,
Photo by Drees.

Well, I guess I am wrong them creatures. I have always been told that (Mosquito Hawks) Crane Flys kill mosquitos. Thanks for the post.:Smile:

JENSEN500
04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, I guess I am wrong them creatures. I have always been told that (Mosquito Hawks) Crane Flys kill mosquitos. Thanks for the post.:Smile:

i too had always thought that of them (mosquito hawks),until you poated this thread and i wondered how they eat the mosquitos. so a little research taught us all something new.

so thank you,troutman65, for making me a wiser man! :Beer Toast:

Granny Fish
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing all that, lol. As for the eating of mosquitos, they actually don't eat ANYTHING during their adult life (which is quite short).

Ditto - I've never heard crane flies referred to as mosquito hawks until today. Some people think they are really big mosquitos and kill them, although they are harmless. The worst thing about them is they create litter on your window seals when they die.

I have noticed a lot of them around lately.