PDA

View Full Version : Buzzbait

PureAle
04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
i bought a buzzbait and it swims retarded.it tilts to one side and the bait swims on its side. ive checked the wire construction played with it and still have the same problem. the buzz bait is made by strike king.looks like this http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/ProductImages/SBEBB-BBW.JPG

its a topwater lure now should i be using braid for it? im rocking 8# Pline CX premium fluorocarbon coated. Need a solution thanks.

one time
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
fluro sinks and is not needed for this application, and will pull the buzzbait down.....I throw straight 10 or 12 pound mono maxima or izor xxx.

PureAle
04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
alright clean man thanks. will try.

tacklejunkie
04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Have you tried reeling it in slower? Gives the bait less resistance so the weight will pull downward and get the skirted leadhead in the water.

PureAle
04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
ya ive tried reeling it slower, ive even moved the knot up the wire and it swims normal then. but we all know we shouldnt move it up.

lurk 182
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM
its not cause your line is flouro coated. that line still floats but some bigger mono like twelve pound will keep the bait up better while allowing you to reel it a little slower. they roll over when you reel too fast. i like 1/2 oz buzzers, 3/8 minimum. the lighter they are, the worse they roll and the slower you have to reel. keep your rod tip high and start reeling almost before they hit the water.

JENSEN500
04-02-2009, 06:03 AM
This has always been my go to bait and fish it all the time. I can tell you that almost evevry buzzbait (except the double prop type) will roll on to its side when fished at high speed (my prefered speed). If you are fishing a 1oz. bait,of coarse, it will probably drive up right. I fish this bait all times of the year,and have fish blast this bait in as cold as 55* water. I think the speed of retrieveis the ultimate key and have NEVER been concerned or even noticed that it affects the bite when the bait rolled to the side as long as it is not doing complete barrel rolls during the retrieve.

Never quit throwing this bait! Ive killed the bass up to 7LBS at lakes like hemet,perris,skinner and of coarse the river bass will kill this bait!

I have killed local club tournys with this bait even with people knowing what im throwing,alot of people have a hard time gaining confidence with it,but if you do have confidence you can throw and be succesfull with it all time of the year,it takes practice,but you will be able to do some trippy stuff with it as well as different presentations with this bait!

It is NOT a single presentation bait like most think.Go experiment with it and dont concern yourself with the roll of the bait,the bass will kill it out of reaction or frustration and not hunger.THEY WANT TO KILL IT.NOT EAT IT!

OH,ALMOST FORGOT....ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS USE A TRAILER HOOK!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS,
JEFF

Ambassadorhawg
04-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Yes, I agree with JENSEN500, always use a trailer hook with this bait and for God sake, use braided line with this one.

I use 50 or 60 pound braid with these and when you hook a fish, the fish comes up and partially comes out of the water momentarily due to the non-stretch qualities of braided line. It's really something to see! If you have ever been tuna fishing and watched a tuna get hooked up on a boatline, it's like that, the tuna comes up and partially out of the water at the moment of hook up. Sooooo funny...

You do not have to set the hook using braided line, either.