PDA

View Full Version : drop shot question ???

jim532
04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
What the hell am I doing wrong?

I've just recently tried dropshotting and have been practicing with different color/pattern different sizes worms and also used an uncle josh dropshot worm. I've tried setting the weight anywhere from 10 to 24 inches below the hook I'm fishing in 3-5 feet deep. whats weird is I have a very captive audience of 5 or 6 bass that just watch as the worm shakes. But no takers.

Any suggestions on how to improve my technique and get them to bite?

samgann93
04-01-2009, 04:10 PM
in 3 to 5 foot depth id mak my leader like 10inches. and try roboworms. other than that you just gotta prectice. find out what they like.

LunkerLover
04-01-2009, 04:18 PM

I've just recently tried dropshotting and have been practicing with different color/pattern different sizes worms and also used an uncle josh dropshot worm. I've tried setting the weight anywhere from 10 to 24 inches below the hook I'm fishing in 3-5 feet deep. whats weird is I have a very captive audience of 5 or 6 bass that just watch as the worm shakes. But no takers.

Any suggestions on how to improve my technique and get them to bite?
With a water depth of only 3-5 feet I'd say a lead 10-24" is okay ... especially if you see the bass holding at that depth. A lot of times, anglers tend to give the worm TOO much action. Realistic bait presentation is SO KEY!!! Try ever-so-slightly twitching every 6-15 seconds (you'd be amazed how much a well-rigged plastic "dances" with the littlest twitch... and be sure to have your drop weight hopping off the ground. Keep your twitches as "non-machinelike" as possible and throw in variety. Try Roboworms ... I'd suggest a CLASSIC come-thru color like Aarons Magic, Margarita Mutuilator, or Oxe Blood.

Also, if you don't have a crap-load of plant life, try BARELY hooking your worm through the head ... don't weedless hook it! Or... "wacky" rig it...

i STRUGGLED big time with d/s for a solid year till I started following the above.

BassandRelease
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
i'd have to agree with everything lunker lover says. the only thing i would change is the leader length. go about 6-7 inches.

marc626
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Your line test(Lb) might be the issue also: go slow as your mind permits then go(retrieve) slower. -peace

jim532
04-01-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks for the tips, I'm gonna try again in a few min, I'm using 8lb flouro using size 4 gamakatsu hook. It just drives me nuts how they all gather round like they're watching a street performer on venice boardwalk.

goseango
04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
scent?? cant hurt......shorten leader and drop to 4-6lb test

MrScary13
04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
try just sweeping the rod slowly and quickly reeling in the slack without moving the weight and wait a couple seconds before moving it again. I usually get bites right after reeling in the slack. Good Luck!

lurk 182
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
fish deeper. those are probably spawners that won't eat anything right now.

lilmystery246
04-01-2009, 11:45 PM
if you can see the bass they are probibly spooked . spawners. try sum rapala minnows if u wanna catch those. if ur talkin bout legg lake u should definatly use lures

BassinChef
04-02-2009, 02:13 AM
I agree with all of the above ,try everything at least once , weather conditions also play a factor that shallow. I personally use 6# berkley transition/or seaguar 100% fluoro and size 6,8, even 10 sometimes but it depends on water clarity , cover, wind.

jim532
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
i tried a different location after work yesterday, both places I've caught bass before using lures or crawlers. Not easy to cast long distance at either spot becuase of the overhead and shorline vegetation. But yesterday had same result. Worm hits the water and bass come in from all directions and just watch it and till I bring it and recast then they disappear then worm hits the water and they all come rushing back. I've been using 8lb vanish but I might try lighter line.

Socal Bassman
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
If they're that finicky, try going down to 6lb test fluoro, with a 4.5" shad colored worm or soft plastic jerkbait, and fish it fast with constant twitches. Pause occasionally, but only for a couple seconds. The key is to not let the fish get a good look at your bait. A translucent colored worm like Baby Bluegill, Hologram Shad, or Salt & Pepper are good choices. Reapers from 3"-5" work good too.

lurk 182
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
if you can see the bass that closely, you're not fishing very deep. get a heavier weight and get it out in the middle of the pond. if you can see the bottom still, even in the deepest sections, find a new pond. learn the side arm cast if overhead is a problem.

DarkShadow
04-02-2009, 12:44 PM
if you can see the bottom still, even in the deepest sections, find a new pond.

:ROFL:

sage advice

CALFISHER4EVR
04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
IF YOU ARE FISHING AT 5 TO 6' FROM SHORE PAY ATTENTION TO HOW HIGH THE FISH ARE FROM THE BOTTOM (SUSPENDING) AND SET YOUR HOOK AT THAT HEIGHT SO YOU WILL BE AT THEIR ZONE. SOMETIMES, THEY GET PICKY AND YOU WILL HAVE TO DOWN SIZE BAIT & LINE. TRY A SMALL SINKER SO PRESENT THE BAIT STEALTHY AND QUITE. MY 2 CENTS:Smile: