PDA

View Full Version : Which trolling motor do I need for this?

rrawstron
04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey there all...

I'm looking to pick up a trolling motor for two purposes:

- to put on the transom for rental boats. I fish Lake Murray in San Diego with my sister and it would be nice to have a little motor to put on their rentals.

- to possibly use if I decide to get a pontoon with trolling motor mount.

I'm looking at the Endura motors by Minnkota as they are cheap and seem to get good reviews. What size and shaft length would I need for this?

GeordyBass
04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
you'll do find with the basic sized shaft(36" I believe)....You'd be fine with 30lb thrust but if you want to spend a little more $$$ get the endura 46lb thrust.....you'll never be under powered.....for a full day rental you'd want to have 2 batteries to last you all day,,,Good Luck brotha!!!

rrawstron
04-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of batteries as well?

GeordyBass
04-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of batteries as well?
Wal-Mart sells Marine batteries fairly cheap bro....I think about $45 or so....Costco Batteries are real good too dude,,,about any battery will work fine bro,,,

rrawstron
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Come buy that damn rod from me so I can buy this crap!!!

GeordyBass
04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Come buy that damn rod from me so I can buy this crap!!!
Piss off,,,lol,,,

ElementX
05-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I have an Endura 30 on my inflatable pontoon. I think it has the 30" shaft which really works perfect. My pontoon has the motor mount placed very high compared to just about every other pontoon boat out there and still the 30" shaft reaches down where I need it to be.

I've used it with the rental row boats at SARL and I would say its great for trolling, but not for speed...and I mean its damn slow, espeically with 2 people in the boat. 30 lbs of trust will push the aluminum boat around fine, but you need to be patient because you'll be moving at like walking speed on the fastest setting. Overall, I'd say its worth the trouble :)

As far as batteries, you definitely need a deep cycle battery. This link will serve you well: http://tufox.com/hobie/TrollingPerformance.html