PDA

View Full Version : help with new gear

aoessand
04-01-2009, 12:22 AM
OK so ive just got back into fishing, used to do it when i was a kid with the grandparents, that said ive sorta turned into a Bass Pro Shop whore problem is i don't know whats really good/overpriced. now i know more ball barrings is better, ive been using the old diawa 1300 last few trips on some no name kmart brand rods from like the 80-90s' lol... now the reels don't seem too bad they work lol, but the rods just feel umm stiff i guess alot of time if its not a big bite ill miss it... i did buy an ultra lite set up from BPS and it seems pretty good but again it doesn't seem to preform as good as i thought it would, its the micro lite 8barring on a i think its 5'6" UL BPS brand rod. basically im looking to spend around 200bucks for a rod/reel combo of course less would be better though. i mostly fish for trout but with the cat fish season about to start, warm weather right? i'd like it to work with the normal i guess smaller sized cats you would normally catch at like puddingstone/Santa Fe dam/peck road, or even irvine. any help would be greatly appreciated thnx

DarkShadow
04-01-2009, 09:00 AM
now i know more ball barrings is better

Not necessarily.

It's the quality of the bearing and the placement of them that has a lot more to do than the "how many bearings" something has. A lot of people confuse more bearings as equaling better performance.

ive been using the old diawa 1300 last few trips on some no name kmart brand rods from like the 80-90s' lol... now the reels don't seem too bad they work lol

If you're talking about the SS Tournament Whisker 1300, that's one bad åss reel even today.

http://www.baitnhook.net/ProductImages/reels/daiwass.jpg

My only complaint is the lack of anti-reverse, but the reel has a pretty darn good drag and is built like a work horse. I'm curious to see if your 1300 is made in Japan, instead of the ones made today that are made in Malaysia.

now i know more ball barrings is better

Not necessarily.

It's the quality of the bearing and the placement of them that has a lot more to do than the "how many bearings" something has. don't confuse more bearings as more performance.

But the rods just feel umm stiff i guess alot of time if its not a big bite ill miss it...

Generally, the quality of the graphite in the rod, and not the stiffness, is what will make feeling bites a bite better, as the rod is more sensitive. I use some pretty stout rods that are extremely sensitive, but also have some parabolic rods (rods that bend more) that have some good sensitivity as well.

i did buy an ultra lite set up from BPS and it seems pretty good but again it doesn't seem to preform as good as i thought it would

what did you not like about it's performance? too stiff? heavy? not sensitive enough? too light? short?

basically im looking to spend around 200bucks for a rod/reel combo of course less would be better though. i mostly fish for trout but with the cat fish season about to start, warm weather right? i'd like it to work with the normal i guess smaller sized cats you would normally catch at like puddingstone/Santa Fe dam/peck road, or even irvine. any help would be greatly appreciated thnx

I honestly would get the 1300 serviced (maybe even at Daiwa's location in Cerritos, since I have no experience with Daiwa's service centers?), and you don't even have to spend money on a reel, as I still own a 1300 and a 700 and although they don't see too much action, they are quality reels. Unless you can't stand the lack of anti reverse on the reel, I'd still use that, especially if I'm just getting back into fishing. It'll be a work horse and it won't fail you. That Lifetime bail spring, and the SiC line guide, are no jokes.

Now, the only problem I see is the fact that if you fish for both trout and catfish, you may want to have a second spool for that reel. I'd spool up one with 4# test for trout, and one with 8# for catfish.

That way, you can get a medium or medium/light action rod and be able to fish for both species just by swapping the spool.

As far as the rod goes, I'd get a Shimano Compre Spinning Rod in the 7' model, in Med/Lt. That'll run you about $99 and you'll be able to get a great lifetime warranty on it.

That'll save you at least 1/2 of your original budget.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions.

calico killer kevin
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Okay, let's see...

Your budget is perfect at $200 because it will get you good equipment that can last you a while. You say that you want to be able to fish for trout, catfish, and maybe bass... Now, the problem arises that each fish is usually fished with different strength of line. The trout prefer very light line, the bass are okay with mid strength lines, and the catfish just don't care. Normally, I fish all three of these species with 2lb line, but that is only for certain techniques and definitely not for the people just getting into fishing. I don't want you to break off a nice fish and blame me for recommending 2lb line...LOL

The combo I would recommend is a Shimano Compre 7' ML 4-10lb rod and a Shimano Sahara 1000 reel. Fill the spool up with 2lb Izorline XXX, buy an extra spool from Shimano in Irvine, and fill that spool up with 6 or 8lb Izorline Platinum. For the rod, check out Longfin in Orange or Fisherman's Access in Brea. Both places should have it. Or, ask SamGann on this website about his Compre because it is the exact model I am recommending and he's selling it for a great price. For the reel, look around ebay as I have found it for 20% less than the retail price which I bought it at Fisherman's Access. The spool can be bought directly at the Shimano Factory in Irvine.

This combo definitely fits your description and will be suitable for 80% of Southern California's shore fishing(Whether it be fresh or salt). Everything together should fit directly into your budget and maybe even leave you a bit to spare on other essentials.

Good Luck

aoessand
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
thanks for the help you 2 its defiantly not the SS 1300 its the D1300 all graphite? doesn't even look like that one. Thank you for letting me know that more BB doesn't necessarily mean better as well, im gonna head to BPS tomorrow and check out that Shimano rod :) i geuss the thing i dont like about the BPS UL set i have already is the rod seems a bit stiff for its size i thought it would be a lot more flex to it and more sensitive it is a 6 um something lol graphite.

DarkShadow
04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
thanks for the help you 2 its defiantly not the SS 1300 its the D1300 all graphite? doesn't even look like that one. Thank you for letting me know that more BB doesn't necessarily mean better as well, im gonna head to BPS tomorrow and check out that Shimano rod :) i geuss the thing i dont like about the BPS UL set i have already is the rod seems a bit stiff for its size i thought it would be a lot more flex to it and more sensitive it is a 6 um something lol graphite.

yeah, then go with CCK's suggestion then as both the suggestions are right on . if it's not the SS1300, you'll want a new reel.

good luck with the selection. remember to put the reel on the rod that you buy (or vice versa) to make sure it feels good.

calico killer kevin
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
If BPS is close or convenient for you, then go right on ahead, but if not, then try to find a local tackle shop. They should have the rod and I can almost gurantee that they have the reel and they will help you out big time. BPS tends to be just as or more expensive than other tackle shops.

I kinda liked the BPS microlight rod and if you're looking for a true trout rod, that would be your best bet for the price.

Stormcrow
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Here would be my opinion:

First, if you are interested in fishing for all types of fish, you really dont need many setups. Heres what I would recommend for setups:

1. Get an Ultra Light Spinning Setup
2. Get a medium action baitcasting setup
3. Get a medium action spinning setup
4. Get a medium/heavy action baitcasting setup

The ultralight will allow you to fish for Trout, panfish, city park bass and even carp

The medium action baitcaster will allow you to fish pretty much anywhere for bigger bass or spotties in salt water

The medium action spinning setup will allow you to fish for bigger cats, stripers at the river, etc...

The medium/heavy action baitcaster will allow you to fish for inshore bonita, sand bass, small yellows, hallies, and toad catfish and LMB

So, with four rods, you could fish almost anything. As you get deeper into fishing, you will expand your collection to fit your style. All I do is fish LMB these days so I have 25 rods for different largemouth applications. I also have 3 trout rods, and 2 rods for cats and a surf rod. I have about 10 Salwater rods that I rarely use today because I dont fish salt too much anymore.

With your budget, FORGET BPS. Its full retail and they dont carry some of the good stuff. Find yourself a local tackle shop with people who know their stuff. Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos is one of my greatest assets. With 200 bucks, look for something used but better than buying something cheap new. You know, I would rather drive a 2 year old Mercedes than a new Honda anyday right? Check Ebay and get yourself some higher quality stuff thats a year or two old. Thats what I would do.

I hope this helps you. My advice isnt always good but sometimes it comes in handy.

DarkShadow
04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I hope this helps you. My advice isnt always good but sometimes it comes in handy.

I thought you'd recommend him to go down to their local city park lake, locate a poacher, and take their gear.

Total cost, $Free.99

aoessand
04-02-2009, 07:21 PM
haha ya ive already had 2 run-ins with poachers luckly neither wanted to back talk lol... as for the local tackle shops where would i find one? i live in Monrovia...