PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing Santa Ana River?

hughpam
03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Just got the call that I'm going tomorrow and want to fly fish if possible. Anyone ever fly fished it? What did you use?

Thanks!

fishslayer01
04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Its tough fishing with a flyrod because of all the trees and brush along the river, should be lots of holdover stockers and a few "wild" bows and Browns as well.
If you spin fish Panther Martins, small jigs and small spoons will work as well.

Tom
04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Just got the call that I'm going tomorrow and want to fly fish if possible. Anyone ever fly fished it? What did you use?

Thanks!

Black and Brown Wolly Buggers in smaller sizes
Caddis imitations work well in Most styles
and don't forget the Mickey finn streamer..they work Great

On the way down the hill you might try Mountian Home creek or Mill creek

Tom

Skyler
04-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Irresistable adams, san juan worms, wooly buggers, and egg imitations seem to work the best for me there. I've had decent success nymphing under an indicator too. Just make sure you have a short fly rod and know how to roll cast, otherwise you will spend more time untangling than fishing. Good luck. They're definitely up there. My daughter and I were up there for about an hour yesterday, and we caught a few.

Skyler
04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Black and Brown Wolly Buggers in smaller sizes
Caddis imitations work well in Most styles
and don't forget the Mickey finn streamer..they work Great

On the way down the hill you might try Mountian Home creek or Mill creek

Tom

Mill creek has gone dead. Went completely dry over the winter. No fish in there anymore. I'd check some of the drainages around it though. I know a few in that area hold wild fish.