PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake 3-31-09

Troutman65
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I fished today and I need a nap before I can do a report. it sucks getting OLD . Report in 3 to 4 hours ( after my nap )

It was another great day at Irvine Lake............. I was playing guide again for my friend Dennis and his Son Kurt. Kurt has not fished Fresh water before, Only on the salt with his Dad on their boat.

I want to add that Monday after work I bought a new Rod, Reel, Tackle bag, Panfish jigs, etc. I wanted to go after the Crappie that are in Irvine Lake . I have never caught one before . So I figured that I needed the stuff.

So first thing I wanted to target the Crappie and then the Trout later on. I get us to the first Crappie stop. I am settting up a Crappie jig ( never did one before either.) I have watched many people fish for the Crappie and seen how they put the jighead on the plastic. I was going to demonstrate for Kurt & his Dad Dennis on how to catch one . Well I was confident and droped down to the bottom and reeled up just a bit and started to work the jig up and down a bit. With in 10 seconds I got bit and I had a Crappie on the hook and reeling it up. I was stoked that my demonstration was effective . So Kurt trys jiging for a while and before you know it he catched his first fresh water fish ever. He was not use to the ultra light gear. But he liked the action and the fight on the gear.

Dennis was next to catch one of the Crappie. I also catched a few at this first stop. We all had fun catching these cool Panfish. On to the next stop. Set anchor and I wanted to try out some different jigs as I am not a jig fisherman per/ say, I am a bait and wait guy. So I tie on a tube jig ( White w/ Red on top. and what do you know ? I catch a Crappie. Dennis and Kurt are having trouble catching with the first jig that was on so I switched it up with White Tube type jigs. The one I put on Kurts kind of looked shadish. ( If there is such a thing , LOL ) He was quickly hooked up onto the crappie. His Dad Dennis did not have much luck after the first stop. I put on a white tube jig on his set up and he just could not hook up. All the while everyone around us were hooking up. I wanted to try another jig that looks like a sm. swim bait. It looks like it could catch fish so I bought it . LOL. Sure enough, it caught a few Crappie.

Dennis is Italian and from Chicago . He is a very funny person and kept me & his son laughing all day. Dennis, I could tell was wanting to get onto some trout and we pulled anchors and went to the first trout spot. I Put away all the Panfish stuff and broke out the trout stuff. I showed Dennis & Kurt how I rig up to catch trout at Irvine Lake . Carolina Rig. We all cast out . Kurt makes Sammy's for all of us and we are just relaxing and enjoying the day.

I had put Power bait ( Gulp Chart. mixed with a little Garlic Power bait. ) I also used rainbow PB. mixed w/ Garlic PB. My Set up got hit and the first trout was soon neted and put into the basket. After 30 min. no bites we move to trout spot # 2 . I have not caught a trout in spot # 2 in 15 years or so. So, I decide to rig up a Plastic Power Worm ( Bubble Gum w/ Bubble Gum Power egg on top. ) Dennis wanted to use some nightcrawlers and his Son followed. You should of heard what Dennis had to say about those Pink worms I was using. But He was not laughing when I got my biggest trout of the year ( so far) at Irvine Lake. I casted out and was kind of jigging the worn sort of and I felt the bite and I set the hook. It was a great fight and the trout was beautiful to watch swimming in the water. It was 4 to 4 1/2 pounds apox. Dennis was floored to say the least. LOL. So I set Dennis & Kurt w / the Pink worm set up. Kurt was next to hook up . His first trout, 2nd fresh water species. Kurt reeled it in and it was a 2 lber. We got it into the basket and casted back out. Dennis was not able to get a trout . He still had a blast fishing with his Son .

Totals for the day.

8 Crappie
3 trout.

Thanks for reading and waiting ( LOL )

TM65

sansou
03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
You catch any wipers? :Razz:

Troutman65
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM

As for the Wipers, I know that around July someone catches one . They were planted in the lake some time ago. Not sure how many are left as they do not reproduce. Thats all I know about them.

Crab
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey man wake up! :) going 2 b there tomorrrow.Looking for the lastest and the greatest.
Were they bitin'....do tell.......hey sleepy head!
No doubt, last week, after bakin' in the boat, I could barely get up for work the next day.
And I mean barely, I think i got up around 9ish....lazy bastard I know. :) But the fishing was greeaaat!......hey...you awake yet?

Hitts0n
03-31-2009, 11:34 PM

lma00000000!!! :ROFL::ROFL:

Hitts0n
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I will be out there 0wning in a few !

fishndrinknsmokin
04-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Looks like Patrick took one my kind of naps......go to lay down for an hour or two and the next thing you know you're waking up the next day! Oh well, it's well deserved rest. Hope you had a good day off bud!

troutdog
04-01-2009, 04:13 AM
ZZZzzZZzzzZzzZZzzzzzzzZzzzZzzzz....:ROFL:

TD

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Looks like Patrick took one my kind of naps......go to lay down for an hour or two and the next thing you know you're waking up the next day! Oh well, it's well deserved rest. Hope you had a good day off bud!

Yep Steve, Thats what happened. I just awoke from my slumber.

dixoncider
04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
center console with a radar arch?????

HelloBendo420
04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
nice job w/ the guide service!
I was out there on sunday for 5hrs looking for those slabs and I couldn't find them. Where'd you ketch em at?

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 08:42 AM
nice job w/ the guide service!
I was out there on sunday for 5hrs looking for those slabs and I couldn't find them. Where'd you ketch em at?

Santigo Flats & Boat Dock Cove. They do move around . Hope you find them .:Smile:

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
center console with a radar arch?????

??? :Confused: ????

Was that the boat you were on?

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey man wake up! :) going 2 b there tomorrrow.Looking for the lastest and the greatest.
Were they bitin'....do tell.......hey sleepy head!
No doubt, last week, after bakin' in the boat, I could barely get up for work the next day.
And I mean barely, I think i got up around 9ish....lazy bastard I know. :) But the fishing was greeaaat!......hey...you awake yet?

Sorry Crab. I ended sleeping through the night. I guess I needed the rest.

MAVERICK27
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Great job Patrick and thanks for the fun read. Now you let the cat out of the bag....pink has been hot lately. Always nice to see that you get to enjoy yourself on the lake as well.

dixoncider
04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
??? :Confused: ????

Was that the boat you were on?
I thought that was the boat you were on...
maybe not.. There were a few salt water type boat out that day.

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Great job Patrick and thanks for the fun read. Now you let the cat out of the bag....pink has been hot lately. Always nice to see that you get to enjoy yourself on the lake as well.

Cat out of the bag Mav.? I have been using Powerbait and N/C lately . I just thought I would throw out some plastic Power worms. Thought of using the orange and the Lemon colored ones also. I just got lucky.:Wink:
Thanks for the read & reply Mav.

Gmoney
04-01-2009, 11:03 AM
yo bro
hope all is good for ya
cool report....thanks for the read
looking forward to seeing ya soon
g$

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
yo bro
hope all is good for ya
cool report....thanks for the read
looking forward to seeing ya soon
g$

G$ !!!!! I have been Good. Nice to see you on FNN. Thanksfor the read & reply. See you soon:Wink:

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I thought that was the boat you were on...
maybe not.. There were a few salt water type boat out that day.

No. We were on a rental.

Granny Fish
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice to see you are getting some time to go fishing. Nice report. Sounds like your friends had a good time.

King Halibut
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Patrick,

As you work for the folks at Irvine, I need to ask you a question, why is there a limit of 5 Crappie/Blugill COMBINED at Irvine?

I can maybe understand 5 of each species, but even that is really pushing the limits.

Most lakes I have fished either have no limit or a limit of 10 to 25 fish per angler.

Both Crappie and specially Blugill breed like mice. Typically, those of us that target those species will only take the larger fish and usually release the bigger breedable females.

I cannot speak for others, but I will only take what my family can eat but come on, even 5 that weigh a pound a piece would hardly feed one person.

Your thoughts?

Thx,

KH

Santa Fe Eric
04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Great Report Patrick,

I love it when you get to go fishing!

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Great Report Patrick,

I love it when you get to go fishing!

I love it when I get to go fishing too Eric :Wink: Thanks for reading & the reply

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Patrick,

As you work for the folks at Irvine, I need to ask you a question, why is there a limit of 5 Crappie/Blugill COMBINED at Irvine?

I can maybe understand 5 of each species, but even that is really pushing the limits.

Most lakes I have fished either have no limit or a limit of 10 to 25 fish per angler.

Both Crappie and specially Blugill breed like mice. Typically, those of us that target those species will only take the larger fish and usually release the bigger breedable females.

I cannot speak for others, but I will only take what my family can eat but come on, even 5 that weigh a pound a piece would hardly feed one person.

Your thoughts?

Thx,

KH

My thoughts are , Thats the rule and thats it.

Thanks for the read KH

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice to see you are getting some time to go fishing. Nice report. Sounds like your friends had a good time.

Thanks GF. We did have fun. I hope trout Season goes into July this year at Irvine Lake.

Mondo21
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds like another great day on the lake for you and friends. Thanks for the vivid report. Cindy:Smile:

Troutman65
04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Sounds like another great day on the lake for you and friends. Thanks for the vivid report. Cindy:Smile:

Thanks for the read Cindy. On days like that I wish I could fish more often. Hope your doing ok. See you when I can.

Patrick

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
As for the Wipers, I know that around July someone catches one . .

Is this a scheduled yearly catch ????? of 1 ?

Ha ha ha ha....sorry buddy...couldnt resist !

Nice job on getting them on a bite....

congrats, love ta see some pics..of the slabs

How big ???

Gary

Troutman65
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Is this a scheduled yearly catch ????? of 1 ?

Ha ha ha ha....sorry buddy...couldnt resist !

Nice job on getting them on a bite....

congrats, love ta see some pics..of the slabs

How big ???

Gary

Hey gary , Thanks for the read & reply. They are not dinner plates but decent size though. Hope your doing well. When you come to Irvine Lake again? Irvine Lake Legends III This Summer?:Wink:

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey gary , Thanks for the read & reply. They are not dinner plates but decent size though. Hope your doing well. When you come to Irvine Lake again? Irvine Lake Legends III This Summer?:Wink:
Hey Patrick, you'll have ta look for me in other waters, other than irvine, thats really not my cup of tea but I do enjoy seeing a nice catch report from you and I'm glad you got on the water and laid it down..

Maybe sometime we can get a lil getogether and catch a fish or 2 and have a cold one...

I'm afraid it would have to be elsewhere though.

Continued success to you....slay a big slab in my name if you would !!!

Take care,
Gary