PDA

View Full Version : Last Rockfish question, I swear!

NOAHNATOR
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a Quantum Cabo PT40 & a St. Croix, 7' Med/Heav. 1pc (forgot model # of rod).

If I put Power Pro 50lb on that, due to the line being 12lb mono size, would that still be to small for rockfish in 250-350ft of water?

Ricky-Ray
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
That setup will be fine for your 1/2 day trip. 50# spectra is fine I would just put a short mono leader probably around 10ft or so so you can tie your dropper loop setup and you'll be fine. Again your mono IMO should be something around 25-30#.

One way is to connect the mono directly to spectra using a uni to unit knot http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp, there's also a few other knot's too but I think this is fairly the easiest to do and I've been using this knot for my spectra to mono connection and it has never failed me.

Other option is to use a barrel swivel to connect the spectra to mono

hung380
03-31-2009, 06:07 PM
not a problem as long as you can hit bottom. 50 braid is plenty strong for rockfish. 6oz torpedoes will be your primary if the current isnt too strong.

Liteliner
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a Quantum Cabo PT40 & a St. Croix, 7' Med/Heav. 1pc (forgot model # of rod).

If I put Power Pro 50lb on that, due to the line being 12lb mono size, would that still be to small for rockfish in 250-350ft of water?

The line size is good. No problems at all. You might wanna use a conventional reel though if your goin rockfishing. I watched my buddy get his arse handed to him last year while rockfishing at clemente island. He had the Cabo 80pt and after finally getting the beast of a rockfish to the boat he had to take a ten minute break. Sad thing is the beast was like 8 inches.

NOAHNATOR
03-31-2009, 08:09 PM
I have heard, only heard, that there is really no reason to use a leader, when rockfishing.

Is that true? Please give me any input!

sansou
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
I have heard, only heard, that there is really no reason to use a leader, when rockfishing.

Don't sweat the technicalities...just show up with your stuff and the crew will help you rig up. Your going on a 1/2 day boat. They're used to newbies, tourists and "freshwater pros"....LOL

Worse case scenario, they'll tell you if your gear is not up to par and that it would be advisable to rent a rod (IMO good idea in your case as you have yet to mention in other posts that you own a conventional setup).

NOAHNATOR
03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a conventional setup. I just rarely, only the 2nd time, only go for rockfish.

I decided also on the 3/4 day.

hung380
04-01-2009, 01:58 PM

Imagine if you get stuck in a rock 200 feet down with 50lb braid. Good luck beaking the line before breaking the rod.
10 ft. of 25lb mono serves as a breaking point and to tie your hooks weights. have fun and stop stressing. lol

NOAHNATOR
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
hahha, I know. I will do the braid but add the 10' of mono.