PDA

View Full Version : Best Setup for Rockfish???????

NOAHNATOR
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Never been Rock Fish Fishing (does that sound right). Going out of Seaforth on Friday for 1/2 day with the wife. yayayyaya.

What is the proper rigging? Line Weight, Weight Size, What Weights (torpedo probably.) and type of hook.

Any help would be appreciated, since the wife has been waiting for this day to come forever.

Thanks Guys,

Noahnator!

TShaffer
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
On charter boats a dropper loop with a 6-10 ounce torpedo sinker (maybe more or less depending on depth) will work with a 1/0 or 2/0 hook and strips of squid. 15-30lb line wil probably do ya good too.

NOAHNATOR
03-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Time to pull out my heavier tackle. Right now I am running 12lb, probably a little small.

Thanks for the advice!

HEMAN
03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
make sure u have good line capacity too...

Ricky-Ray
03-31-2009, 02:44 PM
1/2 day trip your not going to be fishing extremely deep. 250ft would probably be the max or somewhere there about. I would probably go somewhere around 25-30# mono. It's not the size of the fish that are going to break your line, you want a heavier line for more abrasion resistance to the rocks.

Dropper loop setup is usually the most common way for rockfishing. If you don't know how to tie the dropper loop here's a guide, http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Hook size I would bring anywhere from 1/0 to 3/0 and torpedo sinkers from 4oz to 12 oz. What size you are going to use is going to depend on how deep you fish and also how fast the current is going.

sansou
03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
All great info....

But if your doing Seaforth's 1/2 day, I would also bring a stout "freshwater bass" type setup too (or anything you can cast well). The surface fish are starting to re-appear after the recent flurry of YT off LJ. (Though your best bet right now for that stuff is a 3/4 day fishing the middle ground islands).

Have fun & looking forward to your report!