PDA

View Full Version : Live bait weight?

SOSO
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Need help..How much do Sardines and Chovies weigh? I installed Rare Earth Magnets to my Avet SX and MXJ. I can use leadheads to duplicate the live bait weight and figure the right amount of magnets needed.
I pitched a 1 1/2 ounce swimbait rig on my magged Avet. Casts smooth without hardly any thumbing.

Ricky-Ray
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Never really weighed a sardine or anchovy before but if you were able to cast a 1 1/2 oz swimbait your ok for sardines. Anchovies I'm guess if you can cast a 1/8 or 1/4 oz weight you should be in the ballpark area.

migfrias
03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
If we lost the sardines like in the 80's and had nothing but chovies, there would be alot of people in trouble!

miguel

SOSO
03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Never really weighed a sardine or anchovy before but if you were able to cast a 1 1/2 oz swimbait your ok for sardines. Anchovies I'm guess if you can cast a 1/8 or 1/4 oz weight you should be in the ballpark area.

I just tested my magged Avet SX w/ 20lbs test. Casted 1/2 oz. weight smoothly. Anything lighter doesn't cast. Isn't it the same with a non-magged SX? Throwing a 2oz. jig was flawless. Barely any thumbing, and casts like a rocket..

SOSO
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
If we lost the sardines like in the 80's and had nothing but chovies, there would be alot of people in trouble!

miguel

OK? :Confused:

lurk 182
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
no science here but i'd guess sardines are roughly 3/4 oz to a little over an oz. and chovies probably 1/4 to 1/2 oz. now, can you cast them w/o ripping the hook out is the question. rod action has a lot to do with it. most people like soft tips.

fishboy93
03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
check your cast control. it maybe too tight. if thats not it maybe you should get it checked out if somethings wrong with it.

Lightline
03-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Avets are designed for chovies. its like casting a feather with the avet.

some guys recommend Daiwa sealine/grandwave for chovies

SOSO
03-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Avets are designed for chovies. its like casting a feather with the avet.

some guys recommend Daiwa sealine/grandwave for chovies

How far would a fly lined chovie(without any weight) go on a Avet SX w/20lb mono? A regular sized chovie would weigh about 1/8~1/4 oz?

tunafisherman
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Try casting a cloths pin the wood type. Thats about the wieght of the chove.

baybassboy
03-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Need help..How much do Sardines and Chovies weigh? I installed Rare Earth Magnets to my Avet SX and MXJ. I can use leadheads to duplicate the live bait weight and figure the right amount of magnets needed.
I pitched a 1 1/2 ounce swimbait rig on my magged Avet. Casts smooth without hardly any thumbing.

i too have magged both an SX and MXJ using the earth magnets (using the directions on charkbait.com <----- not advertising anything here). On the SX, i used the 3/8" eath magnet with no cup or washer; just the magnet bonded to the frame. I have found this to be the most versitile for both casting baits and dropping baits on the SX (which i also fish with 20#).

A lot of the problems you are going to run into when casting the anchovies have to do with the action of the rod (as stated by other members), but also by how you cast. If you flick the bait at all, the spool will accelerate to fast, and the resulting action of the magnet will greatly reduce your casting distance or even cause a choppy cast.

The best method i have found for casting light baits (chovies) on my "home-magged" SX is to cast almost like im throwing a jig (or freshwater swimbait) in slow motion. That big sweeping overhand cast lets the bait accelerate in a smooth fashion. It takes some practice, but you will get the hang of it.

Practice by putting a 1/8 or 1/4oz. egg sinker right to your hook and casting with no bait. If the egg sinker rides up your line, or causes the rig to "cart-wheel", you aren't casting right. If the rig turns over and the hook leads the weight, yet the weight remains almost right against the hook, you've got it. Mess with how much line is off the tip of the rod when you cast. Find what is comfortable and get good at it. Also, try "flylining" a 4" swimbait on the hook (like the swimbait is your chovie) and screw around casting that. You will get it.

Ricky-Ray
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
How far would a fly lined chovie(without any weight) go on a Avet SX w/20lb mono? A regular sized chovie would weigh about 1/8~1/4 oz?

Distance is going to vary by the angler. Depending on how hard he cast, what rod and so forth.

Why are you so concerned about how far you can cast with an anchovy?? Reason I ask is that I don't usually cast my anchovies. I'll give them a gentle underhand lob so it hit's the water softly and it able to swim away from the boat without looking all "F'd" up from hitting the water so hard.