PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Rey sunday cuda's 3-29

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Marina Del Rey was Sundays target.

Got a real late start since the tide cycle has been down the toilet on the weekends in daylight hours.

Got there around 1:30pm…..

Saw Geordybass and Dad out there and we exchanged info and a few cuda hookups !

Landed 9 Cuda, 7 on the troll and 2 with a cast & retrieve.

LC Staysee was my lucky # Sunday.

Largest went 27”, I caught several around 23” and a couple smaller, I farmed at least 6 or more.

Looks like it promises to be a good year for the slimesticks there this season, it’s actually real early for this heavy of a show….sweet….I’ll take the action…good fun !

Also landed 1 YFC on the LC Staysee.

Oh yeah, I also caught a dink Batray about 7lbs or so…

Sorry no pics, I didn’t want to mess with the slimesticks and the camera unless I was going to keep them, I needed to facilitate a quick and non fatal release.

KPN met me out there a little later in the afternoon and he too caught several Cuda an 1 short Halibut.

I even caught a cuda while sitting next to the dock at the launchramp when I left…too funny….good time….good time !
Gary

GeordyBass
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
good to see you old timey!Also,kpn's new lure is sick!!!

Too bad about that bigggggggg farmy fiash!:Crying:

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
[
good to see you old timey!Also,kpn's new lure is sick!!!

Too bad about that bigggggggg farmy fiash!:Crying:
Oh yeah,m I totally left that out of the report..

On my way back to the launch to pickup Khanh, I was trolling my deep diving LC and went DEEP into this niche on a point, as soon as my lure rounded the bend…..

Whamo !……

BENDO !!!!

MAJOR Bendo !!!!!

And it wasn’t no batray, the fight had thump to it and ALLOT of POWER !!!!! I know the fight of a ray and this feller had a different fight pattern !

Several drag runs…..and pole maxing bendage…I actually was faring reasonable well to this fish’s power !!

I had allot of line out but started to get ‘em turned but my worst fears became reality……

That sucka ran around the corner of a pylon off a dock…..

I kept tension on ‘em and could tell he was still there and not too wrapped around…

I slowly worked the boat within about 8’ on the pylon and kept straight tension…

Just when I was about to give up hope, I worked ‘em out, it seemed to free up from the pylon and I got ‘em about 4 foot out of there and then the line goes…..SNAP !

The 15 lb Seaguar most likely got frayed within this whole pole battle so unfortunately we’ll never know what it was but it was HUGE…….at least 20-30 lbs but it didn’t fight like a Ray…..hard ta say for sure but it was Powerfull, that’s for sure…

Geordy and his Dad watched the whole thing from hookup to breakoff, man my Teramar 8’ pole was MAXED out….

If I had ta guess I’d say it was a HUGE Halibut or HUGE White Seabass but we’ll never know but that sucka is swimming with a nice Lucky craft in his mouth as a reminder of our match….

I was in about 15' of water and my LC was running at 10'

He, in the end became the victor, I just wish I could of at least seen what it was for sure….either way….what a battle, I did fight it for quite a while b4 he made that sharp left and did me in….

Whew !....it was a great experience….one that I wont forget anytime soon.

I’ll return again someday soon..
And next time I will prevail !!!!....I can only hope !
Gary

PureAle
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
i was there on sunday, we were fishing the breakwall, first time there, didn't know much. :/

Lipripper93561
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Thats exactly what keeps us coming back for more, those LC's sure can be the ticket at times.

thepuma
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Great report Gary. Loved the story of "the big one that got away". I bet your adrenline was a pumpin. I gotta hit the harbor. Maybe this friday in a tube. What do you look for in the tide? Now I see why you wern't at the Duct on Sunday. Sounds like alot of fun.
Thanks,
Scott

TShaffer
03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Man I really want to get in on some of this cuda action. Too bad about losing that epic battle. I bet that'll be in the back of your mind for awhile.

GeordyBass
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Man I really want to get in on some of this cuda action. Too bad about losing that epic battle. I bet that'll be in the back of your mind for awhile.nahhhh,i had to remind him,,,lol,,,

Wingnut
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Damn, I hate it when you lose a fish and don't even know what it is.
I would like to just get a glimps of the thing before it slinks back into the abyss, oh well, I feel for ya... next time YOU win. :Wink:

DEADROOTS
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Thats sucks man! I lost my LC also while trolling on my way back to the ramp, a lifeguard crossed my line and broke me off. I saw Geordy and Art but didn't catch you guys. You were very elusive that day.:ROFL: I hope the action keeps picking up, they're defiantly going nu:EyePop:ts there!

kpn
03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
It was a nice day out there. We caught fish & had fun.....
Sorry about the lost fish bro.....
Thanks for the invited. We should do this again soon :Wink:.

KPN.