PDA

View Full Version : Bait & wait, surf style. "Trash fish" trifecta (pics)....

Skyler
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Headed out to the beach with the fam on Saturday. Brought my 9 foot heavy surf setup, and set a surf spike with a 3 oz high-low rig and squid. Also tossed some lures on my cranking rod in a limited small area. Missed a few bites on the lures, and managed these guys on the bait rig. Two new species for me (bat ray and guitarfish), and an old favorite...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1340/1001001e.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1733/1001002a.jpg

A cute little smoothhound:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6010/1001003z.jpg

Until next time, tight lines.

-Skyler

thepuma
03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Great post man. The little shark would be great in an aquarium. Congrats on all of the fish. What a beautiful weekend. I was in Ventura on Saturday and it seemed like a Summer day. No fishing for me though.:Sad:
Thanks for the post. Keep em coming..

MikeAce00
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Congrats on the trifecta!!! Very cool mixed bag. With bait and wait in surf... Is it an obvious tugging on the line compared to the waves just crashing on it? Is it set in the spike with a light drag... normal drag... clicker?

Again congrats! I'm trying to gain a better understanding on this type of fishing and posts like this are super motivating.

Thanks,

Mike

bsp
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Great job on getting a variety of species! Even though I don't do it too much anymore, bait and waiting for sharks and rays is fun, especially during a grunion run. You can get some really good size fish too. How do you unhook bat rays? I always flip them over and put a backpack on the tail, but I was wondering if there is a better way to do it.

Mike: You fish with the reel in freespool with the clicker on in a sandspike. You know you have a bite when you hear a ZZZZZZZZ sound coming from your reel and the rod is bent! The length of the strike depends on how big the fish is. Use enough weight to keep from being pushed around by the waves and current. I find that 3-6oz is usually enough.

FISHSTIX
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Getting stuck with "trash fish" instead of the stinkin' skunk sounds like a good day to me, looks like it was a nice day too.

Skyler
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks, guys.

MikeAce, the waves always pump your line in a somewhat rhythmic pattern. Fish are random in their movements. Also look for your line suddenly going slack. Sometimes it's just kelp, sometimes it's a fish. Either way, give it a tug just in case. After a few times, you'll know when there's a fish on and be able to tell the difference from some kelp or a "white sea bag" lol. As for the drag settings, nope, I keep it tight when fishing that rig. Using a wide gap octopus and a tight line, the fish usually hook themselves on the high low. When using a carolina rig, i'll run a loose drag and tighten befor ethe hookset.

BSP, I usually flip stingrays over as well. But I just step down at the base of their tail and pin their barb in the sand while unhooking them (requires shoes obviously). I don't trust foreign objects. I know I can always press down harder if they start to squirm...a backpack can't, lol. Otherwise, if you are pressed for space (e.g. kayak, or jetty, etc), if you hold a ray by the front of its face and hold it away from you, it's barb generally can't reach you.

bsp
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
BSP, I usually flip stingrays over as well. But I just step down at the base of their tail and pin their barb in the sand while unhooking them (requires shoes obviously). I don't trust foreign objects. I know I can always press down harder if they start to squirm...a backpack can't, lol. Otherwise, if you are pressed for space (e.g. kayak, or jetty, etc), if you hold a ray by the front of its face and hold it away from you, it's barb generally can't reach you.

I am always bare foot, so that exact method doesn't really work for me lol. I'll try it with a plano box and see how it goes. Thanks!

Skyler
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I am always bare foot, so that exact method doesn't really work for me lol. I'll try it with a plano box and see how it goes. Thanks!

In that case, definitely don't try that method, lol.

joebass
03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
In that case, definitely don't try that method, lol. skyler thanks for those tips. now i know what to do if i ever catch one

TShaffer
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Man I'd be happy with a day like that! Nice fish. I'm still waiting for my first bat ray.