PDA

View Full Version : Native Sun (3-29)

KaliDawgFan
03-30-2009, 05:59 AM
I met up with OFG and Bruce Watson Sunday morning for a little rockfish excursion. I was all excited. I had only been rockfishing once before years ago and caught nothing. So everything I caught today was most likely going to be a new species for me. I also was using my brand new setup...Kencor Pcifica something (little tired and can't remember), Shimano Torium loaded up with 60# Spectra with a 25# mono trailer I guess you can call it. It was pretty slow on the first few spots. We'd get nibbled but nothing would really take the bait. OFG was the first of us to catch something. I think it was a red. She had those reds dialed in after a while, but the problem was most were too small. She also landed a whitefish and a treefish. Bruce and I couldn't buy a fish for the longest time. OFG decided to get some lunch and jokingly told Bruce that he should be able to catch something now that she's away. Sure enough he lands a decent treefish. I on the other hand couldn't get anything to bite. Finally we were put on a spot where the fish were going nuts for everyone. OFG brings in another red. The people to my left and right are bringing in all other kinds and finally I was able to hook a fish. The rockfish skunk is coming off...that was until I noticed it was a stinking blacksmith perch! Oh well, the skunk is off. I saw someone reel in a red with a lingasaurus hitch hiking a ride up. There were quite a few lings being caught today too, but since the season doesn't open until April 1 they were all released. Some were pretty big. I thought why not...threw on a little mackeral and tossed it out. About 30 seconds after it hit bottom I feel a quick, big tug then a hard pull. I set the hook and FISH ON! This was one strong fish. I cranked and cranked and cranked until I finally saw was it was...another stinking perch...

just kidding, it was a ling...my first ever...which was obviously released after the photo. Three more days though and he would've been in my bag. The Native Sun knows where the big guys are now so head out with them Wednesday if you want to catch some.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/GEDC0162.jpg

That was a fun fight. I tried to get another but wasn't able to. I swtiched back to targeting rockfish but was unsuccessful. It was still a fun day though. The seas were a tad on the rough side at times. I don't get sea sick, but I came close today.

boxl0bster
03-30-2009, 06:59 AM
thats awesome ryan!!! man i wish i could have gone out with you guys!! let me know the next time you head out. im thinking of going on the ling opener. ill let you know.

JapanRon
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi KaliDawgFan,

Excellent job on the Ling ..... they're pretty sneaky in their fight !! I hate it when you're about 15 cranks to the top but not yet able to see the critter when it does its' tuck and roll with vertical jackknife routine !! If you think back ...... remember that ?

Good luck on a 'keeper' next time !! Sandabs and Octopus are meat on Mr. Lings menu too !!

Oh .... great report and pics ! Are we missing a pic or ..... ?

JapanRon

troutdog
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
In the picture with the ling(nice fish btw) I noticed a pink reel to the right, was Omar on the boat too? Thanks for the report and call earlier in the week Kalidawg....much appreciated!

TD

ghetto dad
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Yo man....nice report....I really wish youd tell me who you are when you call...lmao.....il glad you guys got out!!!!

GD

KaliDawgFan
03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Yo man....nice report....I really wish youd tell me who you are when you call...lmao.....il glad you guys got out!!!!

GD

You weren't the one who took the reservation this time. I swung by to say what's up after we got back, but I didn't see you.

Koshaw
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Good going guy!

I was on the 31' 'Boat' and saw you guys pull up :D. Didnt see you though.

Glad you were able to fish! Ya guys followed us a bit and wondered around. I will make a report of it as well.

Nice Ling man!

Koshaw