PDA

View Full Version : Trout - Line Setup

crazedtrout
03-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Lake Fishing from the shore:
Is it acceptable to use a heavier line (e.g. 10lb) on the main line, and then use a 4lb
fluorocarbon leader. Or will the main line have an affect on the trout?

vanillagurilla
03-29-2009, 09:13 AM
10lb? i never use anything bigger than 4lb. main line with a 2lb leader. if your worried about breaking the line... just buy good line. i use izorline xxx 2lb. or p-line cxx 2lb. ive caught 15lb trout and never worried about breakage.

Nessie Hunter
03-29-2009, 09:27 AM
No problem, you could do that...????

BUT:
Problem is Trout fishing is normally a very light Terminal tackle rigging..
Casting ultra light rigs with 10# line would prove difficult.......

bsp
03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
In ultra clear water that would still spook the trout. I'd go with what Vanillagurilla said for line choice. 4lb is fine for tossing Kastmasters, spoons, and the mainline on bait rigs, but you should use 2lb mainline for mini jigs and a 2lb leader for bait. As Nessie said, casting ultra light weights (1/16oz) with 10lb would be very difficult.

Troutslayer620
05-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I fish for Trout all the time, i have even caught an 18 lb Rainbow. I use 4lb PLINE Halo Fluorocarbon line or 4lb Trilene professional fluorocarbon. It is strong enough to stretch and not break right away, and it is nearly invisible in the water. I also use a carolina keeper to hold my sliding sinker. Yes you can use a leader, but what I have found is that you create a weak point in you line when you have the line connected at 2 points. Hard hitting trout will snap the line right away. With the carolina keeper, you have no weak point because you don't separate the line. I have caught over 100 trout ranging from 1lb to 6lbs in the last month and only had my line snap a few times from the fight. Also I have tested Fluorocarbon line versus Mono and hybrid mono using the same set up and bait, side by side and I have out fished the others by 3 to 1. The line works and i am now convinced it is worth the money.
:Smile:

Koshaw
05-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I still love my braided spectra power pro line. It has a 1-2lb mono diameter and I mate it with a 2-4lb fluorocarbon leader of 3-8'.

The 8lb power pro is 1lb diameter and the 10lb is 2lb :D and it casts similar to those line equivalents in mono (ie 1-2lb) but it has the strength of 8-10lb.

It also can stay on your spool 5-10 years as long as you take care of it-ie rinse it from time to time. It also has NO stretch and I have caught limits on it so far...I got 10 last sunday and like 8 a few weeks ago.

Socal Bassman
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Fishing with Kastmasters and spinners, I use 4lb. test P-Line fluorocarbon. If the fish aren't cooperating with lures, I can switch to soaking PB. Just slide on a egg sinker, tie on a swivel, tie on a 2lb. test leader and small treble and you're set.

For mini jigs and flylining Lip Ripperz, I use 2lb. test P-Line fluorocarbon for my main line.

jim532
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I fish for Trout all the time, i have even caught an 18 lb Rainbow. I use 4lb PLINE Halo Fluorocarbon line or 4lb Trilene professional fluorocarbon. It is strong enough to stretch and not break right away, and it is nearly invisible in the water. I also use a carolina keeper to hold my sliding sinker. Yes you can use a leader, but what I have found is that you create a weak point in you line when you have the line connected at 2 points. Hard hitting trout will snap the line right away. With the carolina keeper, you have no weak point because you don't separate the line. I have caught over 100 trout ranging from 1lb to 6lbs in the last month and only had my line snap a few times from the fight. Also I have tested Fluorocarbon line versus Mono and hybrid mono using the same set up and bait, side by side and I have out fished the others by 3 to 1. The line works and i am now convinced it is worth the money.
:Smile:

I like the idea of the carolina keeper. Ever tried the carolina keeper instead of a swivel when fishing fly & bubble on spinning gear?

craznazn
05-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the idea of the carolina keeper. Ever tried the carolina keeper instead of a swivel when fishing fly & bubble on spinning gear?

What is a carolina keeper?

jim532
05-07-2009, 12:34 AM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_23166?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_P2_1

billy b
05-07-2009, 07:52 AM
You just squeeze the CK and it slides up and down your line (needle nose works fine) ... allowing you to instantly adjust how far you are off the bottom. I also like to cut off my hook and trash it at the end of the day if it's been used a lot. I then slide the CK up to the end so I have not leader sticking out ... allows me to wind it all the way up to the top. I guess you could also use a hook bonnet on the end if you wanted to save your hook. The biggie is that I only have to string out my leader and I'm either ready to fish ... or just tie on my worm or treble hook and get at it. Simple and quick. No swivel, extra knot, etc. as mentioned.

Astrolux
05-07-2009, 08:42 AM
MAXIMA all the way its the only line I will use for trout. You can most def. get away with 6pound test and use 4 or 2 pound leaders. I usually use 4 pound and its never let me down.

Troutslayer620
05-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Yes I do not use swivels anymore unless if it with a lure set up.

Troutslayer620
05-09-2009, 03:45 PM

If you didn't go to the link, it is a small piece of urethane that you put your line threw to create a leader without having to use a swivel. It keeps your sinker from sliding and you can adjust your leader length to whatever length you want by moving the keeper up or down. This way you don't have any weak points on your line.

DaFish
05-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Carolina Keeps works for 4 lb line but in the really tough fight it could break off on 2lb line.

I use the keeper most of the time on 2lb. however if the line is older I will just use a BB i believe or the smallest size split shot weight under my larger 1/16 to 1/4 ounce weight and squeeze it enough to hold but not too tight where that will cause the line to break off.

I like to keep my line fresh but sometimes it is not always possible.

craznazn
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
If you didn't go to the link, it is a small piece of urethane that you put your line threw to create a leader without having to use a swivel. It keeps your sinker from sliding and you can adjust your leader length to whatever length you want by moving the keeper up or down. This way you don't have any weak points on your line.

Thanks...I went to the link...interesting. Would a small split shot work as well, but as you've mentioned, a weak point may be created on the line.

craznazn
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Carolina Keeps works for 4 lb line but in the really tough fight it could break off on 2lb line.

I use the keeper most of the time on 2lb. however if the line is older I will just use a BB i believe or the smallest size split shot weight under my larger 1/16 to 1/4 ounce weight and squeeze it enough to hold but not too tight where that will cause the line to break off.

Never mind....lol....

GeordyBass
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Cuda 2lb. test is the best line.It's really thin and has the strength of 4lb. test....My favorite line ever.
10lb test is overkill,even 6 is a little heavy.

ghetto dad
05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Setting the hook with 2-4 lb "leader" and 10 lb mainline, you would surely break your line often when setting the hook or reeling in a fish......just MO

GD

calico killer kevin
05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

The difference is that the CK and split shot is that the CK does not create a "weak spot" in the line when used correctly. It never slips on 2lb line unless you use a weight over 1/2oz.

DaFish
05-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Like these old post.
2 lb Pline CXX light green works great.

10lb line wow that was me one day one with no luck