PDA

View Full Version : Never Give up!!!! Perris Friday 3-27 (long)

Pete Marino
03-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Those are words I live by!! And today at Perris that saying rang true loud and clear.
I had a guide trip today with Jerry and Bill at Perris.
They love to fish but have never bass fished so they thought they would come out with me and give it a try.
For the last 2 weeks Ive been pumping them up on how good the bite has been for me at Perris and they were very excited to get out there and give it a shot. They got especially excited when I told them about the 12 1/2 lber that Paul just caught on his trip with me on Wednesday. :Smile:
Just before the alarm went off this morning I heard a noise out side that sounded like a ghost or something. After a second or two of listening to it, I realized that it was the wind howling outside. :EyePop::EyePop: The first thing I thought was OHHH NOOO... I knew that a heavy wind would make it tough to stay on my fish, which in turn would make it very tuff to catch them.
I head to the lake and see that the wind is still blowing but it wasnt as bad as it was an hour before hand.
I met Jerry and Bill at the dock at Perris and off we go. Heading to our first spot the wind was beginning to pick up...BIG TIME!! We get to the spot and the wind is HOWLING...a steady wind of about 20 mph with gusts of about 30.
NOT GOOD!!!!

I go through the normal ritual of showing my clients how we will be fishing for the day and then I turn them loose while I "ATTEMPT" to stay on the spot. The bass were there but the wind made it basically IMPOSSIBLE to stay on them. After about 2 hours of miserable wind, 6-7 lost rigs and 2 VERY close calls because Jerry almost fell into the drink two times, I decided that we needed to make a move. We headed to the dam to fish shallow for a while...BIG MISTAKE...the wind was blowing into the damn and the 2-3 1/2 ft waves rolling into the dam made it extremely difficult to fish effectively. Not to mention it seemed kinda dangerous because if for some reason I lost power, we'd be into the rocks in 5 seconds!! That wouldnt be good...
So I decided to make a move to the island to get out of the wind.
There we found most everyboat on the lake trying to hide from the wind...
We fished there for about an hour and a half we NO BITES!!:EyePop: This wind was really messing up the bite and slowly taking its toll on my patience..
All I could tell the fellas was to stay possitive and not get discouraged and that I would not quit on them and Id try my best to get them on the bass.
After not getting a bite on the Island I decided to go to the marina where I was sure it would be calmer. So we headed over to the marina...
I couldnt believe how this day was going... I was actually heading over to the marina to escape the wind... Thats not how I normally am but there was a method to my madness..
I wanted to save the trolling motor batteries in hope that the wind would calm down in the afternoon and we'd be able to get on the deep water bite.
We fished in the Marina area for another hour and a half with no bites.
About that time...which was about 1:45 I noticed that the wind looked like it was laying down some... I quickly rigged up the deep water rods and told the guys that we were gonna go give it another shot deep.
On the way over there I told them that if we could hold on the spot that we would whack the bass...
We get there and I put the troller down and take a look around and the wind was laying down nicely.:Smile: I was as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning.
I pull up on the spot and its loaded with bass and they look active!!!
The first cast on that spot was at 2pm and by 2:05 the 1st bass was in the boat... A solid 4 lber caught by Jerry!!! His first Bass EVER!!!! NICE...
A couple minutes later Bill sets the hook and I net his solid 3 1/2 lb bass... Then they told me to fish with them and I make a cast and IM ON!!! 4 lber in the boat!! Now we are rolling!!!! :Smile::Smile:
After that it was bass after bass after bass amounst the 3 of us...
I kept them out there longer because I felt like they deserved to catch more fish after the morning we endured and because I didnt have any plans so I asked them if they minded if we stayed out longer... They were THRILLED!!! I kept them out there till 5:30 instead of coming in at 3:30.
Jerry ended up catching 10 bass with his biggest being 5 lbs..
Bill caught 9 Bass with his biggest being 4 1/2 lbs
And I caught 10 bass with my biggest being 5 1/2 lbs...
Most of the bass were between 3-4 lbs...
Biggest 5 were 23-24 lbs...
Thats a total of 29 bass from 2 pm till 5:30...
They were speechless!!! And thats what its all about!!!
Goes to show...... NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

Jerry...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0328.jpg

Bill...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0337.jpg

Me..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0338.jpg

Jerry..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0335.jpg
Bill...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0340.jpg
Jerry..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0334.jpg

Good Job guys!!!

Pete

PeteMarinoGuideService .com
(909)510-5679

Socal Bassman
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Great work out there Pete! Good to hear that you guys stuck it out and you put them on the fish.

basscatcher
03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
dang pete nice fish.

God BLess

basscatcher

skunkmaster
03-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Saw you guys out there wackin' the fish! We were in the blue/white Bayliner. Like you said the meter was going nuts, but we couldn't buy a bite. Well that ain't true, I guess if we paid you we could! ;) Obviously you've got the bait/lure and technique they like. Glad you got your clients on some fish! Someday we hope to figure these socal lakes out.

Pete Marino
03-28-2009, 09:36 AM
skunkmaster....yeah there are alot of bass there...You should have introduced yourself...

I made the right decision to save the batteries for the afternoon....:Smile:
And Im glad I did.:Wink:

Pete

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
(909) 510-5679

Pete Marino
03-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Now you see why i havent had the time of desire to go to the Pudd...
Ive been killing it out at Perris!!! :Smile:

Pete