PDA

View Full Version : sharks in catalina?

xahx
06-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Quoted from another forum regarding spearfishing::

"With all the wsb, seals and squid at the east end of Catalina, it was only a matter of time until one of the big boys came in to join the party. Yesterday, two of the Allcoast gals were fishing white sea bass near the eagle's nest on the east end. A seal lurking in their chum line suddenly disappeared in a big splash as a great white muched him in one swift hit..there was nothing left except a big blood spot and oily residue on the surface...stay alert out there.."

Just to let you all know, may or maynot be true but why would someone make this up?

Lets fish for them sharks! <--- *EDIT didnt know they are protected! but seems logical, they are a major part of the oceans food chain&#46;

Greg Madrigal
06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
I read the same post, and it was most likely a great white&#46; They are the only shark I know of that regularly hunts sea lions, in which case, you CANNOT fish for them, they are protected!

GM

fishncatalina
06-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I don't think there's any sharks IN Catalina but&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;

There has been white sharks around the island for years and they are protected 8)

JapanRon
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi fishinCatalina,

Used to think those GW stories were to keep me from float-tubing the West End but after so many sightings &#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46; I've given up&#46;

Still thinking about giving Avalon bay a try though &#46;&#46;&#46;

JapanRon

Ambassadorhawg
06-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Your question basically is&#58; Are there White Sharks aound our area??

ABSOLUTELY, but they are usually not the larger sized units&#46; I have seen footage and heard of and read many reports over recent years about Whites along our So Cal coastline&#46;

They are just another piece of the sea&#46; If you want to see them, big ones in full assult action, go on a multiday trip to Guad Island this Summer&#46; My buddy who works on a long range boat says looking into the eyes of one of those monsters while they are up chewing through a hooked tuna is like nothing else you will ever see&#46;

Dave92706
06-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I saw a great white off Laguna Beach years ago that went a min&#46; of 12-14 feet long&#46; I was in a 17' center console fishing for Macs for Marlin bait &#46; My ex-wife was with me at the time and said there was a red mark on my CVR as big as our boat , as I looked up the GW surfaced and I saw the size of the dorsel fin out of the water and just freaked&#46; The sight of a GW up close will send chills down your spine &#46; My golden retriever was barking up a storm at it and for a moment , I thought he was going to jump over board to get it&#46; I will never forget that fish, nor the sight of those sharp teeth with its mouth open swimming around my boat&#46; I started up the motor and drove 3-4 miles south as fast as my boat would go&#46; Needless to say I will not float tube or kayak in the ocean after seeing that Great White&#46; Call me a whimp or whatever you want to but until you see one up close you just don't think about the ocean the same way again&#46; I've seen lots of things fishing in the ocean over the last 30 years such as migrating graywhales, pilot whales, swordfish, marlin, Mako sharks and tons of other species &#46; If I wasn't so damn scared of that Great White , I would have taken some photos of it but you know, I wasn't thinking that was important on that particular day for safety reasons&#46; A lot of folks may not know this but in the months of October and November we have a lot of sightings of Great Whites off our coast&#46; Don't know why but it just is&#46;
Dave Finkelstein
Clubfish Chartermember
http&#58;//www&#46;clubfish&#46;org

xahx
06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
thanks for your replies, i am very concerned because i am recently participating in free diving at Catalina, and as a beginner, i am scared of what lurks in the waters, so far so good, but im sure one day the chances are that i may run into a shark, Also i am diving from a private boat, not a charter&#46;&#46;&#46; so i am usually only with 1-2 other divers at most&#46;

I have been going to Catalina every weekend or so for the past 2 months, i havent seen anything i should be cautious about, but im sure they are there, somewhere&#46;

I am probably worrying too much anyway, im sure the chances of an attack are rare, and never has a diver been munched at catalina, at least not reported&#46;

Hopefully i stay safe!

Any other divers out there in this forum?

sashimi
06-18-2007, 11:42 AM
thanks for your replies, i am very concerned because i am recently participating in free diving at Catalina, and as a beginner, i am scared of what lurks in the waters, so far so good, but im sure one day the chances are that i may run into a shark, Also i am diving from a private boat, not a charter&#46;&#46;&#46; so i am usually only with 1-2 other divers at most&#46;

I have been going to Catalina every weekend or so for the past 2 months, i havent seen anything i should be cautious about, but im sure they are there, somewhere&#46;

I am probably worrying too much anyway, im sure the chances of an attack are rare, and never has a diver been munched at catalina, at least not reported&#46;

Hopefully i stay safe!

Any other divers out there in this forum?

NAUI diver since 88&#46; It's been 8 years since I last dove though&#46;

sandiegojoe
06-18-2007, 02:19 PM
great website for recent shark sightings and attacks all along the pacific coast&#46;&#46;&#46;

http&#58;//www&#46;sharkresearchcommittee&#46;com/p &#46;&#46;&#46; k_news&#46;htm (http&#58;//www&#46;sharkresearchcommittee&#46;com/pacific_coast_shark_news&#46;htm)

I was surfing south of san onofre about 3 years back all by myself and saw an 7-8 foot juvenile GWS cruise the surface BETWEEN myself and the beach&#46; No it wasn't a huge one&#46;&#46; but I was on a 6 foot board and felt pretty darn defenseless&#46; Then it disappeared under the surface and I had no idea where it went&#46; Damn scary few minutes before a wave came to take me back into shore&#46;

I used to enter the wind n sea longboard fishing tournament every summer, but after that it just doesn't have the same appeal&#46;

Spear Hunter
06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
XAHX

I've been diving Catalina for years&#46; I have never seen a white myself but last Super Bowl Sun I was diving off the Sundiver in the Little Gieger area and when I got back to the boat the DM says to me did you see it&#46; Two other divers who jumped in right after me ran in to one&#46; It made a pass looking at them then swam off&#46; They said it was about 10 to 12 feet long&#46; I dove there just last week vis is good and I shot a couple of nice calicos

xahx
06-21-2007, 08:55 PM
XAHX

I've been diving Catalina for years&#46; I have never seen a white myself but last Super Bowl Sun I was diving off the Sundiver in the Little Gieger area and when I got back to the boat the DM says to me did you see it&#46; Two other divers who jumped in right after me ran in to one&#46; It made a pass looking at them then swam off&#46; They said it was about 10 to 12 feet long&#46; I dove there just last week vis is good and I shot a couple of nice calicos

Thanks for your input! Funny how you remember the day as the previous Superbowl!

Thats freaky! but seems like mostly smaller Great whites around the area, 9-12' not really small one in my book, but in general these are the 'smaller types' from what i gather, the sharks curiosity will make it want to check you out, another recent report i read said a GWS circled him from 20 ft away then came within 4 ft of him (he looked right into those dark black eyes, so he says, and i believe him too! what an experience) the shark just passed after&#46;&#46;&#46;

this report was from backside catalina inside a kelp area&#46;&#46;&#46; like last week!

Although the chances are rare, its still possible&#46; Dive safe!

lucky catch
06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I've been diving there since 1976 and never run into a GW but you will see large blues&#46; The sharks don't bother me, they just look you over and leave&#46; The Sea Lions will follow you around and attack you to get your fish and they scare me&#46; Once you have a fish drop it back at the boat! &#58;shock&#58;

xahx
06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
good advice thansk!

are blue sharks aggressive species? i know mako are

plumbertom
06-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Lets hope the GWs eat all them damn sea lions&#46;

xahx
06-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Lets hope the GWs eat all them damn sea lions&#46;

serious! but not the divers!

booyaa 4u
06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
LAST SUMMER I WAS MAKO FISHING OFF OF CAT&#46; AND TWO WEEKS IN A ROW I HAD A 20FT WHITE AT MY BOAT GOT UNDER WATER VIDIEO AND ABOVE WATER PITS&#46; OF IT IT SPUN THE HUB ON MY PROP BROKE THE CAVATION PLATE OFF AND SMASHED THE CORNER OF MY BOAT I DONT DIVE MUCH ANY MORE&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;CHAD