PDA

View Full Version : Local Mountains

Fishmaster B
03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Two friends and I went backpacking in the mountains between santa barbara and ventura. It was very beautiful with all the wildflowers blooming. We hiked in to a camp about 6 miles up the canyon. The trail follows a stream most of the way. We saw a good number of fish on our hike in but decided to wait until we got to camp to break out the gear. This turned out to be a bad idea as the further we got the more dense the brush and poison oak was. We tried to fish for about twenty minutes and gave up to go have some drinks at camp. We woke up yesterday with the intention to make a few fishing stops on our way out. Just as we get to the first stop i roll an ankle. It is the size of a softball so no fishing for me. My buddie did proceed to catch a few of the most beautiful trout ive ever seen. (Ill post a pic of his fish as soon as he emails me) I somehow made it out at a very slow pace. Eventhough I didnt get to fish much and i hurt myself, this was an amazing trip in the middle of nowhere. Even more impressive was the fact that they havent stocked this stream in over 40 years, yet there is a great fishery there. Also there is no trash or grafitti and the trail is pretty well maintained. If you want some more details pm me and ill be happy to share more.

mth1997
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Very cool. There's something about packing in that makes a fishing trip a whole lot better. Too bad about that ankle though.

fishinone
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you twisted your ankle but it sounds like a great place to hike and fish.

Get well soon.

thepuma
03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a fun trip for you up until you hit the poison oak, oh yeah damaged your ankle.... You said you had drinks back at the camp? That sounds like fun.
:)
No but, really, it does sound like a cool trip. Too bad about your ankle. At least your partner was able to fish it a bit. Rest your leg. You will be good to go next time.
I have not sprained my ankle in like 15 years. Man I remember almost crying about it when I did.
Getting alot of Spring melt over there?

Fishmaster B
03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
There is definately plenty of water in all the backcountry streams right now. I did carry in a bit of liquor, probably too much. The best part about the mountains around here right now is the wildflowers.