PDA

View Full Version : ? on Grant Lake

JusStartnOut
03-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Is Grant Lake(June Loop) being drained? i heard it from someone but can't find anything on it.

sierraslam
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I sure as hell hope not! I was planning on fishing the back side of Grant on Opening Day.

JusStartnOut
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I know. That's usually were a group of us fish also, is on the back side.

sierraslam
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I just called the Marina and the message said that, "Grant will be open at the end of April". Maybe the took some water out for dam repair? I know they did that at Saddlebag 2 years ago. If they drained Grant I would think it would be big news up there. I'll know for sure April 24th when I check out the slaying spots. good fishin!

billy b
03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
with snakes on that side? You just drive around from the West end, right? I know in my old trollin days, there was a stretch on the Southeast side that was called something like "Rattlesnake cove" ... was a great stretch to troll for browines ... even got a kamploop.

GOOD LUCK

JusStartnOut
03-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up sierraslam.

Junior
04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
They are not draining Grant but the water levels right now are severely low. The cove known as rattlesnake cove is a dry beach, the water level is only about 4 feet deep in the narrows. From what I researched, DWP was doing some dam work on another lake somewhere down stream, (unsure where or why, cant find any info) and they used that water from Grant to fill it back up. That lake is full and they are now letting the water level come back up in Grant, dont know how high its going to get. The water needs to come up about 30 vertical feet for rattlesnake cove and the upper part of the lake(where rush creek comes in) to be even remotely fishable. That being said some big fish should be caught out of there this year because the water is so low and the fish should be congregated.

JusStartnOut
04-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up Junior.

sierraslam
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
The years the water levels have been low have been better for fishing at Grant. Makes things kind of ugly looking, but I'll drive up to Silver to get the Alpine effect. Rattle Snakes? I guess I knew that they were around back there, but I have never seen any. I usually fish Grant early and then late in the season, maybe it's too cold for snakes to come out then? If there is a cove called Rattle Snake Cove, I would imagine there are snakes back there. Leaving for Mammoth in 8 days! The last week seems to take forever. good fishin!

Junior
04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
There is a cove called rattlesnake cove, its the first cove uplake of the narrows, on the side opposite the marina. I killed 2 buzztails there last summer, but it was mid summer. The little buggers like the cover and warmth of the rocks and over there on that side. Anyways hopefully the fishing will be good with the water low.

JusStartnOut
04-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Because if it being really low, would they still allow boats or tubers on the lake?

Junior
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM
They still will allow boats and tubes. Obviously tube can be launched anywhere. Now the issue will be where to launch the boat. The marina will probably have a dirt ramp to launch from and a tractor ready to pull out anyone who might get stuck. It can also be done at certain areas of the lake if the boat is small enough and you got 4 wheel drive. Good Luck!

JusStartnOut
04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Hopefully i will be tubing Grant on opening day. Ill be in a bright yellow tube. Thanks for the info.

sierraslam
04-14-2009, 08:59 PM
We will be on the backside in the AM, then Lundy or Silver. good luck! Good fishin!