PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Attempt at NPH.. WITH RESULTS!!

Jaysuuun
03-26-2009, 10:30 PM
GF and I went back to NPH a little more prepared, thanks to all of your suggestions! Got there a little late, so didn't have much time to fish. This time we dropshotted Gulp in Camo around 13th or 12th and as the light was fading away, I hooked up into this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/SBB1.jpg

I can finally add this to my list of species! This beast was caught and released safely. Thanks again for all your suggestions... I'm hoping my numbers will increase soon (and GF is still waiting for hers, lol). Wish us luck!

lurk 182
03-26-2009, 10:32 PM
FNN works. another satisfied customer. spotties are such little scrappers, gotta love em.

PureAle
03-26-2009, 10:34 PM
what nice fish, congrats.

PureAle

doyoufishmuch
03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice job man, way to go. Hopefully the 1st of many for ya.

HESBROS
03-27-2009, 06:21 AM
WTG on your first spottie! I still remember mine....took a whole day of fishing, on Flyngby's boat in NPH. The area you fished is my favorite area to fish from shore, from 9th st all the way to 19th. As other's have suggested to you, I duck under the private walks that lead to the private docks now and then....when the tide is right of course to do so, lower tides are better for getting around. DOnt know if anyone told you in last post, but a 3 inch big hammer on a 1/4 oz lead head will also do the trick. Drop shotting takes some time to get the "action" correct (I am still learning that) so you may consider this for your G/F. My wife does really well down there on the spotties with the swimbaits and a sow retrieve. I am usually down there in the evening on Thu-Fri-Sat and Sun, or just one ofthe days or all or any combination....I may be down there tonight (Fri) since the tide will be right for my kind of fishing!

Jaysuuun
03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
WTG on your first spottie! I still remember mine....took a whole day of fishing, on Flyngby's boat in NPH. The area you fished is my favorite area to fish from shore, from 9th st all the way to 19th. As other's have suggested to you, I duck under the private walks that lead to the private docks now and then....when the tide is right of course to do so, lower tides are better for getting around. DOnt know if anyone told you in last post, but a 3 inch big hammer on a 1/4 oz lead head will also do the trick. Drop shotting takes some time to get the "action" correct (I am still learning that) so you may consider this for your G/F. My wife does really well down there on the spotties with the swimbaits and a sow retrieve. I am usually down there in the evening on Thu-Fri-Sat and Sun, or just one ofthe days or all or any combination....I may be down there tonight (Fri) since the tide will be right for my kind of fishing!

Hmmm...I didn't plan on fishing tonight, but I suddenly have an itch to go fishing :Smile:. My gf doesn't get off work til about 5, so we'll be out there around 6 or so. Maybe we'll see you there.

I stopped by a couple of shops to look for the Big Hammer swimmies, but they didn't carry them. They did carry the big hammer heads so I picked up a few of those. Which shops carry the Big Hammer swimbaits?

calico killer kevin
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Great Job. Yep, like Hesbros said, wait until a low tide and walk under private docks. Aguably the most reliable place in all of NPH.

Big Hammers are my weapon of choice around there. Kill 'em on it. Most tackle shops like The Longfin in Orange, Fisherman's Access in Brea, and Glenn's Tackle in Costa Mesa has them. Call in advance. For hot colors PM me.

DEADROOTS
03-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Sweet! I need one of those under my belt also! Good deal!

Santa Fe Eric
03-27-2009, 08:19 PM
That's what's Up!
Good Work!