PDA

View Full Version : Lower O- 3/24-26

mth1997
03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
I met my dad in Bishop (half-way point for both of us) on Tuesday, left today. Hit the C&R section as well as popular spots south. My dad has a really bad back so we were confined to easy access areas. You guessed it: easy access, bad fishing.

All I can say is TONS OF FISHING PRESSURE IN THE WILD SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay away from there if you want any sort of seclusion. I counted 10 cars parked in one turnout yesterday (Weds.)

I threw everything at 'em. Elk Hair Caddis, Blue Winged Olive, trico's, various emergers, various nymphs, various midges, and wooly buggers and Matuka's for a few fish each day. No rises at all on the dries, although the hatch was awesome. Even though, I saw very few fish rising throughout the day. Maybe they just didn't want dries or else I couldn't match it?

Caught several small stockers in the keeper section of the Owens on olive Matukas and olive wooly buggers with sparkle, all C&R. Farmed one in the wild section on a black BH wooly with sparkle. Missed a solid strike on a BH Prince nymph as well.

I brought the spinning rig along because I heard the wind was coming. It did, and I'm not a good enough fly fisherman to cast in terrible wind so I went to barbless lures. Caught one small brown and farmed two nice sized, about 12 inches, brownies on my favorite lure: the Rapala F-07 in Hot Steel, one barbless treble hook (I took the upper one out). My dad got a nice 12-14 inch brown on a barbless Castmaster red/silver. That was it for him.

Today (TH) the wind was so bad I packed it up and went home early and P'd off. Here's to hoping for better conditions next time 'round. Sorry, no pics because no fish were picture worthy.

Faulter_Mike
03-27-2009, 01:31 AM
thanks for the report. I like how this was your 395th post and it was in regards to fishing off the 395. nicely planned ;)

txcurry
03-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Matching the hatch can be difficult at times. The fish could have been taking emergers just below the surface, looks like a surface rise to the untrained eye, and with tons of insects coming off you would never guess. The size is sometimes hard to get too. Also, there are times when there's a double hatch going. They could be taking the midges hatching in the middle of the BWO's. You would never guess it, unless you took your little sampling net and dipped out some insects you would never notice the midges.
Those are the times that make fly fishing so frustrating.
Charlie

retired96
03-27-2009, 06:22 AM
There is nothing worse than fishing the Owens when the wind is blowing at mach 1.

mth1997
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
thanks for the report. I like how this was your 395th post and it was in regards to fishing off the 395. nicely planned ;)

haha, didn't even notice that. Good eye Mike!!

Thanks for the tips txcurry. I am pretty new to the fly thing, been fishing hard in our local creeks for about a year, but the these bigger waters give me trouble somethin fierce. I gotta get out there with someone who knows whats up, there's only so much I learn on my own.

Retired96 has obviously been there for the howling winds. Last year it was Hot Creek that blew me off, this year the Owens. Talk about frustration.

dockboy
04-08-2009, 10:32 PM
As has been mentioned, the Owens is a complex system. Ive been humbled many times. Fishing can be frustrating this time of year. The hatches are really starting to come out, unlike early in winter where you are basically limited to midges and BWOs. Now we'll see midges, BWOs, the starting migrations of the spring caddis hatches, and if the weather gets nice enough maybe an early Yellow Sally or two. Use your insect net, and if you can catch a fish large enough to use a stomach pump on, use it. It can make the difference on days like those you saw. And remember, low flows mean the fish are found throughout the river. Sneak up on them, and make short casts and work your way out. Its much harder for the wind to effect you cast with 15 feet out, versus 40 feet.