PDA

View Full Version : Ca dfg

HESBROS
03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
So I would like to post a poll and see what all the DFG bashing is all about. I like the DFG, Harbor Patrol, Port Police and the USCG! When we are in a situation on the water, I know one if not all of them will be responding!

You can select all that apply.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
03-26-2009, 09:34 PM
DFG needs to regulate more at local lakes on all the familys that have no license and all the ignorant people keeping fish that are posted a catch and release fish!!. I LOVE THE CA DFG!! but they need to do their job better and regulate more.

HESBROS
03-26-2009, 09:38 PM
DFG needs to regulate more at local lakes on all the familys that have no license and all the ignorant people keeping fish that are posted a catch and release fish!!. I LOVE THE CA DFG!! but they need to do their job better and regulate more.

We all know they need more enforcement, they know they need more enforcement. But as a state agency, they do not have a very large budget. Very small compared to other state agency's! It would be great if they could have a CA DFG Reserve program like other LE does.I would sign up!

lurk 182
03-26-2009, 09:39 PM
every experience i've had has been positive, but then i obey the regs so.... as far as them needing to do more enforcement, they're pretty limited with their budget, maybe less time making sure the hooks at Barrett are barbless and a little more manpower at the city lakes where most of the questionable stuff happens. the only difference is the guys who go to Barrett will pay their fine and the guys poaching spawners at your favorite mudhole won't even show up for court.

sansou
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
The times I have dealt with DFG and/or Coasties, they were sufficiently professional. No problems here with them. Sure, in a perfect world (I imagine one in which you would pay mega taxes!), DFG would respond like regular cops....but then again, careful what you wish for.

Not sure what the recent spate of DFG bashing is all about, or if there is even one scintilla of evidence to backup the outrageous claims.

hughpam
03-26-2009, 10:45 PM
I fully support the DFG. They are stand up people everytime I have to deal with them.

exfactor
03-26-2009, 10:47 PM
There are only 200 wardens for ALL OF CALIFORNIA!!! My only problem has been with Ventura harbor patrol concerning the 250 feet from jetty hoopnet rule. They practice as F and G , Coast Guard, and harbor patrol. It's hard to be every where at once.

Fish Dog
03-27-2009, 06:07 AM
I've been checked and I also put down that I've been in violation and warned. The violation that I've been warned about is the wearing your license regulation. In my haste to get a line in the water I've occasionally forgot to pin the license on my shirt. I've been warned for that, (I always have it with me), and so far, all the Wardens only seem to care that I had the license. I suppose if I quit getting excited about fishing I'll quit fishing, so that's my lame excuse. Now, on the other hand, if a Warden did decide to write me up for that, well, what could I say? It is the law and I would have been in violation. I'll also say that every DFG Warden I've ever had contact with have been nice guys or gals and very professional.

And, like exfactor says, the main problem with lack of enforcement isn't that the Wardens don't want to do it, its the fact that there are less then 200 Wardens for the state. I sat down one time and did a little math and came up with a figure something like one Warden for every 50 square miles of California. Throw in days off, vacations, training, court, sick days, injured on duty days off, and so on and I'd be willing to bet that you've only got about 60 or 70 Wardens in the field at any pirticular point in time throughout the entire state.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
I had a very good DFG friend at the pudd back in the late 70,s ,and early 80,s. Not only do there responablitys lie with fish ,the other part is game. My friend use to have to spend most of his time, on mtn watch due to the extreame deer ,and bear poaching ,that occurrs in our local mtns. Can you imagine confronting guys ,with rifles.,compound bows,crossbows,side arms, and not to friendly hunting bear dogs.now that is some dangerous crap. You know the poachers are aware that there car has been towed ,and there weapons will be taken.and some of these brave guys are by themselves. This is the most dangerous, and time consuming part of being a dfg officer. The fishing side is a cake walk. Im glad to see our new local dfg guy ,on the ball at all our local water fisherys.god bless them.there a hell of alot braver then some of the police i know. Give them more credit. This is why the cops, and lifegaurds are asking for licenses ,and trying to help enforce the dfg rules.

Stormcrow
03-27-2009, 08:13 AM
I have no problem with the DFG. They are undermanned, and underfunded. They are simply doing the best with the resources they have to work with. Everytime I have been checked by DFG they have been extremely polite and personable. A pleasure to have around.

FISHNFOOL9
03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
I have no problem with the DFG. They are undermanned, and underfunded. They are simply doing the best with the resources they have to work with. Everytime I have been checked by DFG they have been extremely polite and personable. A pleasure to have around.

Same here!!!

troutdog
03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Thumbs up to the undermanned DFG, they are doing the best they can with limited resources. I watched them give a friend of mine a ticket at the Kern River for no license, which I told his stupid arse to buy 2 weeks before we left on the trip....got a great pic of the officer handing hima ticket. Also had our houseboat borded at lake Shasta, I was sweating that only because I had grabbed my gf's license by mistake. I was honest about what happened and showed him my driver's license that had the same address as the fishing license and he laughed about it....I am sure he coulda given me a ticket, but I owned up to it right away.

Be great if they had a volunteer program, in which we had to pass some basic courses and empowered us to hand out citations when we witnessed a violation. Just a thought.

TD

bonitoboy
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I have been checked out by DFG on several occasions. I have yet to meet a dfg who is not professional and told me thank you and good luck after verifying my license and/or catch. Harbor patrol is a different story, way different story. Some are professional, others are not. Too many stories. The only time I felt unsafe on my boat is when a harbor patrol came at me almost full speed and pulled a full reverse just as he was going to run me over. His boat skidded into my inflatable, luckily, i was not anchored and bounced off of him as his wake crashed over. He was in a huge hurry to check to see if we had pfds...we were wearing them.

HESBROS
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I know this is a poll, but for those that indicate that they were cited and were not in violation, could you post the circumstances? Sometimes, we feel we were with in the law, but legally were not.

lurk 182
03-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I know this is a poll, but for those that indicate that they were cited and were not in violation, could you post the circumstances? Sometimes, we feel we were with in the law, but legally were not.

that's exactly it, the people who had negative interactions were probably in violation but have some theory as to why the DFG should have something better to do or that they weren't going to keep any fish, or are frustrated that they got popped when they've seen so many poachers get away. its a little bit like speeding next to two other cars and being upset that you got pulled over and they didn't. its not a perfect system and Arnie wants to take away most of the funding they have now, well, technically i think he wants to "borrow" 30 million from them.

Fish Dog
03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
that's exactly it, the people who had negative interactions were probably in violation but have some theory as to why the DFG should have something better to do or that they weren't going to keep any fish, or are frustrated that they got popped when they've seen so many poachers get away. its a little bit like speeding next to two other cars and being upset that you got pulled over and they didn't. its not a perfect system and Arnie wants to take away most of the funding they have now, well, technically i think he wants to "borrow" 30 million from them.

Well, as they say, prisons are full of "innocent" people...

HESBROS
03-28-2009, 12:40 AM
28 Votes......out of 269 views..........

hughpam
03-28-2009, 12:59 AM
I get checked here on my home lake more than anywhere else. They have all been great. Once I grabbed my hunting license instead of my fishing license. He verified my hunting license and sent me home to get it. He could have cited me but didn't. That's just being a stand up guy.

I agree on the volunteer idea. I would do it.

BabyKiller
03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
oh come on, this an allcoast-type politico post. if they are catching ****, tough. i can see it now, FRIENDS OF THE DFG. we will all be harassing each other for licenses. They are directly responsible for some quantitive data that is leading to closures.

i rode the pursuit with a dfg girl onboard. she asked a few questions of others
1 where are u from( for demographics of an overfisher?)
2 how often do fish(rape) my ocean?
3 how many fish(victims) do u normally catch
later in the day
4 how many fish did u catch
5 how many released
6 what do u do with your catch.

why would i participate? why give them the ammo? even if the dfg is not directly responsible, that data could be used.

p.s. i operate within all the laws; it's not to hard to figure out.

PureAle
03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
all the dfg i ever delt with was at santa fe dam,2 days after stocking, its was raining, and some dude poached 30 trout and took off. Peeps dialed the dfg hotline... moments later a warden comes with a ranger checks everyone that is fishing. nice, polite and professional. but still in a hurry. ranger had some binoculars scoping out the back of sfd.Then they take off to the back with their jeep. Thats what im talking about!

I support the DFG.

jim532
03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
I've had only 1 encounter with a DFG officer. As I was just getting to a spot, we talked for about 15 min as if we new each other all along.

dockboy
03-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Without a doubt I support the DFG. Every agent and ranger I have met has been polite and professional. They are simply doing their best on an incredibly underfunded and strained budget. Its my personal opinion that if Californians really saw the value of their fisheries and game stocks, and the DFG was therefore better funded and manned, the issue we see with the MLPA and such would be far less of a problem. But, that is my 2 cents only.