PDA

View Full Version : What are the essentials???

imd12nv
03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Ok so I got my gear ready to hit the salt for the first time. i ended up with a 7ft seeker paired up wit a avet sx, and a 8ft seeker paired with an avet jx. for my inshore stuff ill be using one of my LMB setups. Now my question is what are the essentials for my saltwater tackle box. What size hooks, kinds of sinkers, swivels, iorns, lures, etc etc. i know theres more than one answer but what are the absolute necessities at least to get me started. then i can see what suites my style more and add to it. i will mostly be chartering boats with friends and going on the open party boats. Thx ahead of time.

ghetto dad
03-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok so I got my gear ready to hit the salt for the first time. i ended up with a 7ft seeker paired up wit a avet sx, and a 8ft seeker paired with an avet jx. for my inshore stuff ill be using one of my LMB setups. Now my question is what are the essentials for my saltwater tackle box. What size hooks, kinds of sinkers, swivels, iorns, lures, etc etc. i know theres more than one answer but what are the absolute necessities at least to get me started. then i can see what suites my style more and add to it. i will mostly be chartering boats with friends and going on the open party boats. Thx ahead of time.

Ok homie....im assuming local islands spring and summer

1. Sliders 1/8-2 oz
2. Torpedos 3-6 oz
3. Hooks 4,2,1,1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, and 5/0 (the THREE major to have is 2, 2/0, and 5/0
4. Iron Tady 45, C in mint green, blue and white
Salas 6X Jnr Blue and white, scrambled egg, dorado (for yo yo fishing)
5. Leadheads (I prefer banana style) 1/4-2 0z white, chartruser
6. Small spools of Fluorocarbon leader material (15-40)
7. Whams in green with yellow heads (1/8-1/2 oz)

IMO, u generally dont need swivels unless you are rockfishing. These are some basics, and IMO only....these items should get you by for any 1/2, 3/4, or overnight trips....even 1 1/2 day tuna fishing. Hope this helps

That Dang Guy
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Slide sinkers in 1/2oz. Torpedos in 2,6,8oz. Live bait hooks in size 2,1,1/0,2/0. (Big fan of circles in the 1/0+size) Tady AA and 45s.

That'll cover the basics.

ghetto dad
03-26-2009, 09:30 PM
ALSO i would recommend getting yourself an "Albakore" style tackle box. VERY important, after you seperate your hooks in each comp by size, ADD SOME BAKING SODA!! This helps keep your hooks from rusting, and keeps moisture out...beleive it or not, the SMALLEST amount of SW moisture will wipe out all your hooks...oh yeah, do NOT buy chrome hooks.....stick with the bronze style.....

GD

ghetto dad
03-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Slide sinkers in 1/2oz. Torpedos in 2,6,8oz. Live bait hooks in size 2,1,1/0,2/0. (Big fan of circles in the 1/0+size) Tady AA and 45s.

That'll cover the basics.

make sure you have four oz torps...i use those more than any of the other sizes:Smile:

GD

That Dang Guy
03-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Yea i meant to add 4 there as well, but it skipped some how. =p See any people using circles out there GD? I hands down, love them.

imd12nv
03-26-2009, 11:23 PM
thanks for the info guys. when i started bass fishing i went and boughjt everything i could just to realize i didnt need half of it. just trying to be smart and not get what i dont need. how about tools? pliers etc.

ghetto dad
03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Yea i meant to add 4 there as well, but it skipped some how. =p See any people using circles out there GD? I hands down, love them.

Not like they used to for some reason. I personally like fishing the Owner Light Wire circles, and an FYI, anyone fishing sheephead, these ARE the way to go, especially when using shrimp (ghost or white market shrimp). I fish anywhere from a #4-1/0 Light Circle Hook. When you get a sheephead "bite" (those of you that fish the sheeps know what im talking about, the violent smacking of the rod :ROFL:, I really tried to word this differently, there was just no way), you IMEDIATELY start winding, and about 99% of the time, youre ON!!!!!!!

GD

ghetto dad
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah, check your PM imd12!!! Peace.....

GD