PDA

View Full Version : Anchor anywhere at Newport Harbor?

minhthn
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, I've save up enough money to buy a 12' inflatable boat and put on a 6hp outboard. I was thinking fishing at nph and Huntington Harbor. Can I just anchor in the middle of the harbor to fish? I'm thinking of fishing near the outlet but never got that far because I'm afraid the water might be too rough. Have any one ever gone out that far with a small boat? I'm asking these question because I never been on a boat except for the one I just bought and are clueless about the boating world. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

HESBROS
03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Why do you want to anchor? drifting and fishing covers more ground. Also, if you are anchored, and have to move for some reason, maybe in a hurry, you have to pull in the anchor. I am not sure on anchoring in the channels. I believe you cannot obstruct vessel traffic in the harbor entrances.

lurk 182
03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
there's going to be a current, or drift most of the time caused by the tide going in and out. you can just cruise along with the drift and use your motor to get back to where you started. a trolling motor may be a wise investment. stay inside the harbor until you're a little more familiar with your craft. some guy on here swamped himself and had to swim for an hour or something so its the real deal out there.

JL
03-26-2009, 09:57 PM
True you cannot anchor in side the mouth of the harbor legally. Some do on slow traffic days and don't get hassled but most days the sheriff will stop and have you pull anchor.
We recently assisted a boater who was testing his small boat to see if he could take his kids in the harbor. He was near the jetty across from the bait barge. He moved in his boat when a wave from a passing boat hit him broadside and flipped him and all his gear into the water. He grabbed his life jacket and was able to hold on to the boat until we we pulled him out. The sheriff came buy and flipped his boat upright and baled his boat for him

My suggestion in a small boat is to fish around the moored boats and around the islands. Plenty of fish in the harbor. Stay away from the outlet.

PureAle
03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
just stay inside the harbor. theres plenty of fish around.

minhthn
03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I was just afraid I might drift into other boats. Are you able to fish anywhere in the harbor? Is stopping in the middle of the harbor ok?

LunkerLover
03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
there's going to be a current, or drift most of the time caused by the tide going in and out. You can just cruise along with the drift and use your motor to get back to where you started. A trolling motor may be a wise investment. Stay inside the harbor until you're a little more familiar with your craft. Some guy on here swamped himself and had to swim for an hour or something so its the real deal out there. that would be me. :( .bro ... Trust me ... Stay inside the dayamn harbor... No need to even get close to the mouth.....

BIGRED KILLA
03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Go to the lake a few times so you have the boating thing down your first time you don't want to be broken down in the middle of the channel on a weekend with power boats and sail boats trying to go around you. Good luck.

Bigred

minhthn
03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks. I'm planing on going to lake Perris on spring break. So far Ive taken it on Newport Harbor and Huntington Harbor but never stop to fish because its feel like you're stopping in the middle of a road or something and the harbor patrol going to tell you to move. That's why I wanted to get out near the mouth because there is a large space, no fear of big boat running you over. I attached and image of where I wanted to go but is guess its too dangerous.

klocked
03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks. I'm planing on going to lake Perris on spring break. So far Ive taken it on Newport Harbor and Huntington Harbor but never stop to fish because its feel like you're stopping in the middle of a road or something and the harbor patrol going to tell you to move. That's why I wanted to get out near the mouth because there is a large space, no fear of big boat running you over. I attached and image of where I wanted to go but is guess its too dangerous.

Your map shows Anaheim Bay not NPH. If that was your intention, ok.
BUT..... Anaheim Bay has a naval weapons depot there and if you were to try and fish in there, you'll probably get harrassed by the navy guys with big 50 cal machine guns on the bow of their boats. NPH might be safer than that type of situation. Just sayin'.......

Good luck with your decision on where to fish.

labboss2003
03-27-2009, 12:47 AM
In Newport make sure you watch out for the blow boats big and small ,if under sail they have the right of way .....................and they will go out of there way to make sure you know what total asses they are .......oh and drunks in the electric boats wont be watching out for you........be safe there is a lot of fish in Newport ...and have fun
troll troll troll you will get them

megafisher94
03-27-2009, 08:19 AM
if your worried about drift then get one of those drift socks. they are for kayaks but it think they'd at least help

minhthn
03-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Ok il keep that in mind. Is it possible to fish at the north of nph, Upper Newport bay Reginal Park? Looking at Google map, It look gigantic.

bonitoboy
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I have an inflatable that is powered by a trolling motor. I have a gas motor but think the trolling motor is quieter around the jetties and more reliable. I have had an aluminum boat and find that the inflatables do not have the tendency to unstable roll like an aluminum (think inch-worm).

I normally fish king harbor and do take my boat outside the harbor (using the trolling motor) when the conditions are right. You have to educate yourself on tide and swell reports, I myself utilize a surfing tide and swell report. Pretty much what is good for the surfers is bad for small boats out of the harbor. I pretty much back myself up with floating radio, not cheap paddles, and the best pfds that money can buy. I also give larger boats (which in my case usually is everybody) a very large berth to avoid their wake. When you are out in the harbor, there is no speed limit and large boats can make a big wake. Sometimes you get an occasional idiot who has to puff up his ego by deliberately buzzing you in their larger, more powerful boat just to get a laugh watching you go over their wake.

NPH is pretty scary in my opinion compared to King harbor for inflatables. Lots of boat traffic and a huge harbor to navigate. KH is puny compared to nph and has a designated harbor egress/ingress lanes. Can't fish in them, but it keeps the transiting boats in a clearly marked lane and leaving the other areas clearly marked to fish/anchor. You can catch a lot of fish in the harbor, but in my opinion the big ones are outside the harbor. Not as many but the quality is better. But again, it is best to learn your craft before venturing out.

minhthn
03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for your advise. I will defiantly invest in a good hand held marine radio. I have never been in king harbor but will drive down there this week to scan the place before putting my boat in there. As for now I will stay in the harbor just to see how everything work.

FISHSTIX
03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
When fishing in the harbor keep your motor in gear and drift with the current , you can go fwd/rev to keep you on the spot and move quicker to another spot instead of having to start and stop start and stop every time. Make sure you keep your eye on the gas tank or you might just drift until you get help. Just make sure when fishing the harbor you have fun and be cautious....Tight lines!!

baybassboy
03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the advise guys. I was just afraid I might drift into other boats. Are you able to fish anywhere in the harbor? Is stopping in the middle of the harbor ok?

while you are allowed to fish pretty much anywhere in Newport Harbor, it is really looked down on, and dangerous, to fish in the middle of the channel anywhere. Too much boat traffic, and to be honest, a lot of people who dont know what they are doing and simply not paying attention. Stick to fishing in or near the various mooring areas throughout the harbor. Not only is there pretty much no boat traffic, the fishing there is usually pretty good with clumps of eel grass and the mooring anchors providing cover. I have anchored in these areas in the past with little harassment from the harbor patrol. And even if they do approach you, just apologize for anchoring there, pull your anchor, and be on your way. They shouldnt try to ticket you, they will just let you know not to let it happen again