PDA

View Full Version : Howdy! Anyone here fish in Alaska?

Koshaw
03-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Didnt know where to stick this question or series of questions since it is regarding both Salt and Fresh water fishing.

I was wondering where to go and fish for halibut, salmon etc, and what places you have had good experiences at.[

I may do this next year or so...depends on finances and vacation time, but I believe in being prepared and getting all info I can before I lay out $1000-3000$.

So any suggestions/pics etc?

Juno? Sitka? Anchorage? Fly ins? Remote cabins/lodges? Good guide services or just wing it on your own?

Any info would really be helpful.

Tight Lines!

Chuck

ghetto dad
03-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Sorry Koshaw, the closest that I have been to Alaska is watching "The Dealiest Catch"

GD

troutdog
03-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Chuck I went on an incredible week long trip that combined the freshwater and saltwater experience, it was awesome to have a little flavor of both types of fishing! Gimma a call and I can answer any questions you may have. You may want to send DocSpotty a PM and see if he can make a recommendation as he lives up there.

Here is the company that we went through....I think you are looking at least $2000-$4000 depending on how long you want to go for and what type of fishing you want to do.

http://www.alaskawilderness.com/

Good luck!

TD

aboos
03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
chuck,

id highly recommend trying to take that trip to alaska! its such an awesome experience even aside from the fishing. the last couple of times we went, we flew into anchorage (checked out a few places..sight seeing places) then drove to soldotna/sterling for fishing. its about a 2 hr drive from anchorage but definitely worth the drive (both sights and fishing) imo. luckily the place where we stayed was right on the kenai river so if we wanted to fish all we had to do was walk all of 20 yards to the river and could fish for salmon (for reds but depending on when you go). also we took chartered trips for king salmon and halibut out in the ocean which was awesome. all in all, our trip cost a lil over $2k for 7 days. airfare, car rental, cabin rental, charters, food, gas ,etc. depending on where you go, what you do and how you do it..the price will vary.

as TD said, send me a PM if you want any more specifics or have any questions.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=4395

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=21928

jim532
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
there were several Alaska vacation/outfitters ant Fred Hall show,
But when you do go, make sure you go at a peak period for viewing aurora borealis.

sashimi
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I fished Coffman cove alaska last august from Aug 15 - 22. I fished 2 days of charter, 2 days on a skiff (on our own) and 1 day fly fishing in the river. It was awesome. Brought back 100lbs of fish (Coho Salmon and Halibut). Cost this year not including airfare and the ferry ride is about 1400 bucks. The food was awesome also. We had crab every other day. 22 min from the crab pots to the table.

There were a lot of black bears in the river though. You can also hunt deer. One of the guys in our group bagged a deer.

Best of luck on wherever you go. Check also on the King regs before you get the stamp because they change the size reqts periodically. WHen we went the min size had to be like 48 inches.

sansou
03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Twice while on leave from the Army, my father and I flew in to Anchorage, rented a motorhome, and spent several days fishing/travelling up to Fairbanks and several days fishing back down (using the eastward highway on the way down both times).

Not sure what that costs, as it was on the old man's dime, but I do feel you get a really good chunk of scenery of what Alaska is all about, not to mention a "non-touristy" version of fishing. I still have fond memories of eating flapjacks in a few of the quiant Russian villages, and frantically biting through thick line to let my salmon go cause a bear downstream got interested in all the splashing!

Aside from fishing the salt, I would imagine the low cost way to experience it is simply to fly-in Anchorage, rent a car, and "motel it" along the way.

Good luck on whatever you end up choosing...Alaska is fishy any way you do it!