PDA

View Full Version : Opener countdown

Joshua
03-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I am going to OFFICIALLY start the countdown to the opener. Smitty said I could do it this year. Not really, I dont care nor does he :Secret:

I wasnt sure if I was going to go. I have already taken vacation day. I think I back on track for this year.
I have been checking out heaters on ebay. My 20,000 BTU doesnt do the job Looking at an 80,000 BTU heater, I will start at Intake II in the early morning and move elsewhere once the crowds show. Come on by,. I will be the dumb *** with the huge heater.

Can we get a snowpack report from the Infamous SierraSmitty. I like to hit the South Fork for the opener

Anyone else going, where you gonna fish.
I will be camping at Four Jeffrys.

retired96
03-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Nothing but being strapped down in a hospital bed will stop me from my 39th opener. I'll be camping in Rock Creek for a week.

JusStartnOut
03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
I cant wait either. Ill be in a cabin just above Gull Lake.

deanhall32
03-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Just met Smitty at the Fred Hall Boat Show in Del Mar. Nice to put a face to a name.

Never been up there for an opener. Is it elbow to elbow at most places???

Joshua
03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Just met Smitty at the Fred Hall Boat Show in Del Mar. Nice to put a face to a name.

Never been up there for an opener. Is it elbow to elbow at most places???
it gets a little crowded in some areas. Crowley, convict, Intake II Have pretty good crowds. I havent tried June Loop./
If you get to the water early enough. You can get a choice spot. Dont expect to roll in a 6:30 AM and expect to get your pick.

I brave the cold to make sure I have the spot I want. That is why I am looking into a better heater this year

I have yet to catch anything of any size on the opener. I think it is all about celebrating the fact that trout season has begun. It is a party for alot people and an opportunity to hang out with friends.

Joshua
03-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I can smell it. It will be here sooner that you know. 24 days and couting

King Halibut
04-01-2009, 07:27 AM
All,

Not gonna make the opener, but my brothers and I are heading up to Convict the week of the 18th of May. I have never been to Convict but I hear it's a little slice of HEAVEN!

My brothers have both been multiple times and are dragging me (be it willingly) along to do some serious trout fishing.

We're staying in one of the cabins, so hopefully we won't freeze are arses off!

Best of luck to those who choose to brave the crowds.

KH

Sierra_Smitty
04-01-2009, 08:57 AM
All,

Not gonna make the opener, but my brothers and I are heading up to Convict the week of the 18th of May. I have never been to Convict but I hear it's a little slice of HEAVEN!

My brothers have both been multiple times and are dragging me (be it willingly) along to do some serious trout fishing.

We're staying in one of the cabins, so hopefully we won't freeze are arses off!

Best of luck to those who choose to brave the crowds.

KH

May 18th is Mule Days and then the week of Memorial Day weekend - probably won't be much better as far as crowds go. You should still have a great time though - Convict is a beautiful lake and they have a good operation at the resort there. That area is a little crowded for my taste but I guess I'm a hermit like that. Have a blast!!!

Sierra_Smitty
04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I have yet to catch anything of any size on the opener. I think it is all about celebrating the fact that trout season has begun. It is a party for alot people and an opportunity to hang out with friends.

That's what people say who don't catch fish of size on the opener! hahahaha! To me its about catching big fish and celebrating trout season with friends lol!!!

fishslayer01
04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
has anybody heard yet what lakes will and will not be open in time for the season start?

Joshua
04-01-2009, 10:00 AM
That's what people say who don't catch fish of size on the opener! hahahaha! To me its about catching big fish and celebrating trout season with friends lol!!!
After 7 years of fishing the opener. The best I have done is a 2.5-3 lber. I stick to the Bishop drainage for most of the day and finish up at Convict. Convict and Crowley have a better average size but I prefer to fish the streams.
Smitty, if you want to recommend a spot (PM or email me)

Joshua
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
It is down to 3 weeks. Where is my tent???

Joshua
04-10-2009, 02:11 PM
2 weeks and counting.
And they must be getting snow out these last 2 mini storms
Just checked the Mammoth website. They have 12" of snow in the past 8 days

brownbragger
04-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Man I cant wait...Buddy just came over and we were going over the logistics of the trip and I gave him a pack of carolina keepers as a gift. It'll make his life easier in that cold weather.

Lets just hope for some good weather and NO RAIN !!

Joshua
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I am down to 7 days. I am totally unprepared. I do have a license and some tackle.
I like to use new line on all my poles. I take 7 rod/reel rigs. Different poles for different conditions. Creek with jig, bait, lure. Lake with jig, bait x2 and lure. I hate trying to retie in the dark when the bite if going off. just grab another pole and keep fishing.

Something feels wrong this year. I am not as excited as I should be. I get totally pumped for the dove opener. Maybe I feel guilty for missing my daughters softball game

fishslayer01
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
weather report is saying warm but cloudy for opening weekend, should be near perfect conditions...

Joshua
04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
weather report is saying warm but cloudy for opening weekend, should be near perfect conditions...
It is always cold. It may warm up, but it is ALWAYS COLD for the opener

I ran a test on my propane heater today. Pole, , tackle, bait, fishing license, heater and car keys. That is the essentials. And I bought food. Dont want to waste away to under 200#

JusStartnOut
04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
just checked weather.com it is supposed to be raining and snowing.

PINKMEAT
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
what time can i start fishing for these trout? is it an hour before sunrise everywhere?

JusStartnOut
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Good Question. But i have no clue. By the time i get to our destination and in the water, the sun is barely coming up and ppl are already fishing.

brn2fis
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I am going up Thursday before the opener and staying till the Saturday after the opener. I will be staying at Silver Lake Resort. Plan on fishing Grant, Silver lake, Gull, Rush Creek and maybe June. If it is snowing not a problem, pray for no wind. Everyone drive safely the fish will always be there no matter what time you get there. Hope everyone gets a big one! I will be taking my tube, if I put it in that is the question? I have been going up for the opener since 1964. God I love it.

Joshua
04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
what time can i start fishing for these trout? is it an hour before sunrise everywhere?
It depends on where you are fishing. Each county has their own rules. Each body of water could have their own set of restrictions as well. You need to be more specific
Mono and Inyo counties have different rules And the Owens river has different regs, depending on which stretch of water you are on. Confusing.

flytyingreloader
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I want to chime in here and wish all you guys and gals the best of luck and a safe trip for the Opener. I have yet to attend an Opening Weekend, or even an opening week--but I might drag The Ark out to June Loop or Twin Lakes mid-week.

Most of my fishing partners are "hermits", and aren't fond of crowds at all--so the press to hit the Sierras for the Opener wasn't on my radar at all. I'm thinking a Tuesday-Thursday fish expedition would blow the cobwebs out of the Yamaha 4-stroke nicely, and as far as wind and weather go.......it couldn't be much worse than last week's varmint hunt in northern Nevada. Winds to 50 MPH, snow for 2 days to depths of 12" (3" in Winnemucca).

To hell with weather--if conditions are safe enough, I fish or hunt as planned. Even in retirement, time afield/astream/on the water is precious and scarce, and should not be wasted unless a safety issue emerges.

Joshua
04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
To hell with the weather? That is funny, I feel the same way. We only get limited time outdoors, why allow bad weather (hot/cold) to stop us. One day you wake up dead.

Good News (for me) It finally happened. I am pumped for the opener.
I will start at Intake II, then move to the Creeks., Then to South Lake, then off to Convict for the evening bite.
I will be in a 2009 Dodge Caravan (silver) I will be wearing a Raiders hat or Raiders beanie. Stop by and say "what up?" My name is Tom.

The opener is the same day as the NFL Draft. Lets watch the Raiders pick up an over-hyped athlete that is a flop.

PINKMEAT
04-24-2009, 09:01 PM
It depends on where you are fishing. Each county has their own rules. Each body of water could have their own set of restrictions as well. You need to be more specific
Mono and Inyo counties have different rules And the Owens river has different regs, depending on which stretch of water you are on. Confusing.

I want to fish the S. Fork Bishop Creek. Looking for something in the 8-10 lb range. Driving up as I type this. Any info would be appreciated.