PDA

View Full Version : 3/21 Report

SoCal DVLer
03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Tough bite on Saturday 3/21 due to the harsh conditions with the barometer rising. Caught only a handful of 2 - 2.5lb males......all caught on senko's and green flukes (pegged with a 3/32 ounce weight). Fish wanted nothing to do with the drop shot......everyone else said the same thing back at the dock.....no drop shot fish (very tough day for everyone I talked to back at the dock.....some got the big skunk and top boat had 10 fish according to DFG).

Saw over 60 fish in the shallows, but they all had lock jaw........like others mentioned, also saw big packs of 5 - 8lb FAT females suning themselves on the surface.......really bizzare......wanted nothing to do with any offerings (all were full of eggs). Battled very cold morning, followed by houling wind in the afternoon. Water temp held steady at 57 - 59 degrees most of the day...........I bet the fish will be on the chew and actively guarding their beds when the water temp reaches a sustained 60 degrees.....when that occurs, look out!!!

Warden was patrolling the lake in full force.......checking for idiots using live goldfish and shinners. He showed me pics of guys last week using illegal goldfish, shinners, and blue gill......glad those morons were caught. The warden was a VERY cool guy and even suggested a few fishing tips.......just making sure that the fishing regs weren't being compromised (just doing his job without a power trip.....really enjoyed that).

Anyways, bite should pick up in a week or two if the weather stays nice for 3 - 4 days in a row.......

Stormcrow
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Thats a great report. Thank you for that. My guess is those fat females were primed to come up and spawn but the freak temperature drop associated with that front and spring storm probably disrupted that process. They sit off shore like oil tankers waiting to come in and dock! LOL

Im sure its gonna go off soon!

SoCal DVLer
03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I spotted most of those females in very close proximity to a major spawning area.......I thought they were carp at first because there was a whole plume of them, as I got closer, my costa del mar's easily revealed they were bass.......very interesting seeing all those fish just gingerly cruising around on the surface.

samgann93
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Im goin on april 8th. so ill probably miss the spawn but they will all be gorging on shad =P

im stoked. nice report

SoCal DVLer
03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Im goin on april 8th. so ill probably miss the spawn but they will all be gorging on shad =P

im stoked. nice report

Not entirely true.....you will find pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn through mid-June.........some have already spawned and others may not spawn until May/June (albiet the bulk of the fish will probably spawn sometime in the next few weeks). Good luck finding the shad in a few weeks......may still be deep.....

Mondo21
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Love the report. The Warden sounds like a nice man. Cindy:Smile:

Indo-angler
03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Thank for a detailed report!
Can't wait for it to go wide open!

fishmagic
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for a great report. Hope the bass are ready to play next monday.

SoCal DVLer
03-26-2009, 06:51 PM
If weather is nice this weekend, Monday may be a GREAT day.....good luck.

fishtacosmmm
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
nice report, the shad may come up on a hot day