PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor Saturday 3-21

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Hit Newport Harbor Saturday morning with Hiro and Emillio from Fnn.

Got out there just shortly b4 light…

As it got light, as predicted, the spotties started up…Hiro started the action and I followed suit shortly thereafter….we fished it HARD ! REAL hard..

It wasn’t wide open…real far from it !
Very slow bite pattern

After a little while and at least 3-4 spotties each to Hiro and I…we moved on….worked around the bend…
Emillio kept getting bit but was not getting things to stick at this point….sorry buddy..

Slow pick…real SLOW…then as I motored us slowly along in search of 2 lil halibut flats I like….thump…

I landed my 1st Halibut for the day…short…probably about 18-19”…we fished on and there was a huge lull in the bite….!

We might have managed a fish or 2 but Slooww

Off to other avenues we went…to the other side of the Harbor we went which showed fish on the meter but the bite was off…and I don’t mean going off…it was shut off !

This seemed to be the pattern for the day…fish around but lockjawed !

I believe I managed 1 spottie out of that zone and we moved on…..I landed another and I think Hiro did as well but still way slow…

Off to other zones we went…after about 2-3 more zones we found some action…

Hiro Hooks up……thump…thump thump…..ahhhh Yes…this seems to be the stuff that we are seeking…and nice bendo so legal could be on the menu…

To the net….Ahhhh yes…nice keeper about 23-24”……….

Emilio is on…sandbass…a quick pic and back he goes…

I got many short bites there but did not drive steel..I might have nailed one at that time but if I did it wasnt anything to remember ?

Emilio nails another Sandbass…hookup…..!

then...yet another Sandbass falls to emilios hook..

Then Hiro makes a cast up shallow, I just happened to be watching the whole thing too….he slowly worked his LC and I saw his rod REALLY load up….

Hookup ! Zzzzzz.....Zzzzzzzzz.... I see the thumping I am hoping for !.....

Ahh yes…another keeper hit the net…..

Nice work Hiro (taught him everything he knows !...ha ha ha ha…but I didn’t teach him everything I know ! ha ha ha)

Another HUGE lull in the bite goes on..

We decide to try the outside of the jetty…..I trolled a LC on the way out…Hookup….mack attack !

and....Hookup….another Mack attack.

After about 20 minutes outside the breaker wall we weren’t feeling the groove so we went back into the inner reaches.

Fished on….pounding it with our gulp baits and a couple other variations..

I landed a pancake…gave her a lil kiss and back in….the love must have flowed at that point cause a few casts later………………………….

HOOKUP !

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…FAST !...long runs !

I sorta know already this aint a halibut but that’s what I wanted so I didn’t even say it…..

Zzzzz…BENDO !....from the back reaches of the boat….off to the bow and beyond !

Zzzzzz…back around the boat....off to the stern this time…….AND around…

I see color….looks like it may be a white seabass by the tone….Zzzzzzzz..off on another drag pulling run….cant tell what it is yet...….Zzzzz….and more bendo and drag pulling !

I pump on that sucka and get it to the boat….

to the net…..Its a HUGE Spotfin Croaker !

Man…what fight !!!!!!

I’ve never caught this species before…I never knew they battled so hard….

A worthy adversary and on my 8lb line was one helluva fight !

Whew..tired me out just writing that !!!!!...ha ha

We do another few creative drifts…..we find this nice little step in the bottom contour…I speak about how this serves as a wonderfull ambush point for the flatties and someone should hookup…we’re drifting perfect !

Hiro’s ON !...Hookup….Zzz !...Flattie….unfortunately a lil bit short but a real fine fish…probably about 18-19”
again nice work Hiro !

We saw Latefisher and crew come cruising by….a quick lil BS and Emillio snapped a quick photo then we were off to other regions…

Still real slow….we picked at a few fish here and there after that but man we did work real hard but we did get some fair action..

Good times…nice day…whata country !!!

We ended up with
Hiro; at least 10 Spotties, 3 halibut

Emilio: 3 Sandies

Gary: at least 10 Spotties, 2 macks, 2 Halibut, 1 Spotfin Croaker.

Slow but in the end not a total loss….good times !

Not sure about other posts or opther peoples success but it wasnt WIDE OPEN at least for us...we worked REAL Hard for the fish but did manage success !

Emilio took a couple more pics, hopefully he will send them to me and I'll post 'em.
Gary

Fisherman57
03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Nice! Congrats everyone!

LateFisher
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Gary,nice report and job well to the whole crew!!!! Just as you said fish monitored everywhere we just could'nt get them to bite. After you talking about useing your LC i'm sitting here thinking what a dumb### I am, I just got a couple the other day and I forgot all about them. I guess the only way i'll be able to catch fish is to bring you along !:ROFL::ROFL:

fatherof5
03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Nice report. Way to stay on the water and keep trying. That is a healthy spot fin!

Wingnut
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
That's a huge Spotfin! :EyePop: Nice work everybody, not a bad day in the harbor.

GeordyBass
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Nice spotfin Gary!Well done on a very tough day guys!

Santa Fe Eric
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
How cruel of you to consider a day
with at least 15 fish a slow day in the bay
while on the same day,
while in the same bay,
Santa Fe went on to say it was Bombay,
and that 14 fish was his best day!:Razz:

You da man Gary!
Much Love Brother!

kgselect
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
That's a huge croaker. One of the biggest I've ever seen. Congrats.

j-DuBb
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Nice day at the harbor....

-j-

doyoufishmuch
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Nice croaker. Way to go man

TroutOnly
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
HEY GARY GREAT JOB ,BUT THE COUNT WANTS TO KNOW WHERES THE BLOOD,,,,,t/o

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
quick note, I think that 2nd flattie pic of Hiro above is one of the short ones, we took more pics but Emilio did not send them, maybe he can post them up....we have pics of a few SBB and SB and some of the other Halibuts..

I don't have those pics.

Just FYI.....

kpn
03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Great job as always guys. Congrats Hiro on the legals :Thumbs Up:.

KPN.

DEADROOTS
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I haven't caught a spotfin in maybe two years. They were going nuts down in San Clemente. Nice job!

calico killer kevin
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice! Vareity is the spice of life...

Was every down there last saturday? LOL
Rendevous next time...LOL

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-25-2009, 05:39 PM
HEY GARY GREAT JOB ,BUT THE COUNT WANTS TO KNOW WHERES THE BLOOD,,,,,t/o

Count Bobula: I will be donating at the red cross next week so your outa luck if it's my blood you seek !! your more than welcome to join me at Childrens Hospital !

(TO ALL: I will say that the hospitals/Red Cross need blood...please donate...PLEASE)

I AM planning on making some more examples of a few stripers in the meantime......

How about a full moon bloodletting ????? when is the next full moon ??? awooooooo.......!