PDA

View Full Version : So. Cal streams/rivers locations?

GARYC
03-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Howdy, I live in Ventura County. Can anyone tell me some places/directions to trout fish; streams, rivers, etc. close by here. I know none will be whatcha call "close by". I'd like to keep under 6 hrs. I want to expand my fishing style and locales. Also, will be getting a year Wilderness Pass. Thank you!

steve092
03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Well, good luck getting some info. Not many people are gonna throw out their honey holes in the public forums, but some might tell you though PM.

Just get out and explore the mountains! You're bound to find something. And try Google Earth, there are many places to fish.

GARYC
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Actually, I was looking for additional info as in, do & don'ts, parking (required permits) and overall general common areas, not their favorite spot so to speak. However, I have searched around since the post. And looking into visiting Lake Isabella and Kern River area sometime this in the next few months!
Later.

tacklejunkie
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Forest Adventure pass is a good idea and required at most of the good spots.

If you have a 6 hour span, I'd head to the Sierras. It's pretty much wide open on the creek/river fish up there at numerous areas. The owens and Kern I have heard are both excellent fisheries.
If you are looking for something more distance manageable, there is quite a few Socal Streams. The better ones can be very hard to access and will take some work. Some to the tune of walking several miles at a click for few fish.

Grab some maps and hit your local sport chalet, do some searching online and start asking around. You will have a local spot soon with a bit of work.
I would also extend a few searches to google. A quick search turns up several local creeks, unfortunately.

Just be sure to fish the local wild trout with respect. We don't get many stockings down here like the sierras do and the entire LA area has to compete for very few fish. It is best to catch and release the wild fish, and if you have no idea if it is wild or a stocker, release it too. This way, we have local wild fish to catch for a long time to come. The tiny creeks in LA can get fished out by one bonehead group of people in a couple days if they don't know what they are doing.

You will find some to be tight lipped about their socal trout "creeks" (most wild waters are smaller than a river down here) and for good reason. Use your best judgment. Catch and release the fish with wet hands so you don't harm their slime coating upon release. This can leave them prone to infection later. (you will come across C&R'd fish and see this for yourself sooner or later). Don't use bait so they swallow it and you can't release them, or be sure to be quick on the hookset with bait so you lip hook them. Wild trout in streams will eat a bare hook by itself if they don't see you coming first, so you don't really even need bait. Lures and flies are what it's all about in the creek. Giving yourself a challenge.

Most of all, enjoy yourself out there. If you don't find some fish right away, it's OK because you will soon. Once you do, the search for your honey hole will be over and you will lose some of the fun of finding one. (until you find another). Half the fun of finding that killer Socal wild trout is looking for it, because when you got it, you can't top it unless you find a bigger one.

HIghwayPig
03-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey Gary,

FYI, the lower Kern is not doing so well because of the stocking ban. I went up to my spot about a month ago and didn't even have a hit. When they were stocking I had no problem pulling in a few there. Anyway, I do hear the upper Kern has plenty of wild trout. I have never fished the upper more than 2-3 miles north of Kernville, but they say there are good wild trout far north past that. Here is a website that has some good info. I'm not a fly fisherman, but it seems to have other good info also. Good luck! [URL="http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com"]

fishslayer01
03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I know that the DFG stocks Lion Canyon Creek and the Santa Ynez River in Santa Barbra and Reyes creek in Ventura (in fact they are both on the list to get stocked this week!) but I have never been to them and cant help with directions...
sorry.
Check the DFG website and on-line fishing guide for more info...

steve092
03-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Actually, I was looking for additional info as in, do & don'ts, parking (required permits) and overall general common areas, not their favorite spot so to speak. However, I have searched around since the post. And looking into visiting Lake Isabella and Kern River area sometime this in the next few months!
Later.

Oh, ok. I would definitely buy the forest adventure pass. Just about everywhere where you park on the side of the road (in a forest) requires an FAP.