PDA

View Full Version : Wide Open Fishing in NPH 3/21

calico killer kevin
03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Fished NPH from 1:00-4:30 yesterday afternoon and the bite was spectacular!
Fish were biting from 15th St all the way to 6th St. Me and my dad were
fishing from our kayaks, drifting around the docks and casting in between
docks.

My first 4 casts resulted in 3 pig spotties. By pig, I mean all of
them were at least 14". The first two, though, broke me off right near the
yak on 2lb line, so I stepped it up to the citica with 30/8 braid and 8lb
maxima. They still tried to tear my line up by running under docks, but I
horsed them out at fast as I could. Got my first wind knot with Spiderwire
and it's time to switch up lines. LOL. Yeah I know I'm kinda picky.

Most of the fish were holding within 10-12ft of shore right up against the
docks. There were lots of fish breaking the surface between the moored
boats in the middle of the channel and the docks. I think they were just
smelt, but I couldn't get one of them to hit for my life.

Most of the fish were caught on 3" Big Hammers, but a few were caught
rattletraps and cranks. I will be experimenting soon with small hollow body
basstrix swimmies, robo swimmies, sluggs, and other baits soon. For any
specifics please PM me.

Total for me:
9 Spotties
1 Cangler Croaker

Total for Dad:
4 Spotties
2 Sandies(One was like 5" and savagely attacked the 3" hammer)
1 Hali about 14"

Every other dock yielded bites, but couldn't always hookup. Not bad for
3 and a half hours though.

fatherof5
03-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the report and the good details. A great way to spend some time on the water. I can't wait to get out there this week...

TShaffer
03-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice job. Man, I want to go there sooooo bad! I just stocked up on three inch big hammers at the fred hall show too.

HESBROS
03-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Sounds like a great day fishing with dad! Glad you got em........maybe you are the reason the spotties were so shy around my normal spots last night.......lol

fishmounter
03-22-2009, 03:18 PM
What is a Cangler Croaker? Hey don't forget to try a twister tail type 6 inch plastic worm rigged Texas style with a sliding bullet sinker. These work great because you can just work them right on through the eel grass and snaggs. Use a green or pink color for the Halibut and bright green for the bass. Works awesome!

calico killer kevin
03-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the report and the good details. A great way to spend some time on the water. I can't wait to get out there this week...
Thanks dude. PM sent.

Nice job. Man, I want to go there sooooo bad! I just stocked up on three inch big hammers at the fred hall show too.
Me too dude. I spend like $20 at that booth even though the deals weren't that good. The bite is really good, stop hesitating.

Sounds like a great day fishing with dad! Glad you got em........maybe you are the reason the spotties were so shy around my normal spots last night.......lol
LOL thanks. There are like 4 or 5 spotties swiming around with Big Hammer Swimmies and Hammer Heads connected to 2lb line. LOL

joebass
03-22-2009, 03:21 PM
wtg.sounds like fun.i will go tue for my first time shore fishing.i need to pu those big hammers to go with the pogys and sand worms. i want to do shore and bay.

calico killer kevin
03-22-2009, 03:22 PM
What is a Cangler Croaker? Hey don't forget to try a twister tail type 6 inch plastic worm rigged Texas style with a sliding bullet sinker. These work great because you can just work them right on through the eel grass and snaggs. Use a green or pink color for the Halibut and bright green for the bass. Works awesome!
Yep, green with red has definitely been the hot color. Don't really like fishing texas rig because I've noticed that a lot of em are suspended right underneath the dock.

P.S. A Cangler Croaker is a Yellow Fin Croaker. LOL

calico killer kevin
03-22-2009, 03:24 PM
wtg.sounds like fun.i will go tue for my first time shore fishing.i need to pu those big hammers to go with the pogys and sand worms. i want to do shore and bay.
Yep, big hammers are a staple for saltwater bass swimmies. Gotta have 'em. Pogies are really good too. 3/16oz hammer heads.

GeordyBass
03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
why 2lb test???LOL,,,if it was braid then its a whole other story,,,lol,,,Use 12lb.-15lb. test for big hammers bro...:Wink:

flyngby
03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Kevin

Great report but where are the pics????

Steve

calico killer kevin
03-22-2009, 06:22 PM
why 2lb test???LOL,,,if it was braid then its a whole other story,,,lol,,,Use 12lb.-15lb. test for big hammers bro...:Wink:
Ahh hellz no. I was getting bit basically every cast with 2lb and when I stepped it up to 30/8 and 8lb maxima, I was only getting a bite like every 3 or 4 casts. I'm gonna start spooling up with 4 or 5lb test.

Santa Fe Eric
03-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Nice post for sure, but we need some photo's bro!

calico killer kevin
03-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Kevin

Great report but where are the pics????

Steve
Thanks. Pics are on my dad's Iphone, but I don't know how to get them off. I wish I could bring an ACTUAL camera, but I'm not good at keeping electronics dry. LOL

Nice post for sure, but we need some photo's bro!
Thanks bro. Any ideas of how to get them off an Iphone?

kgselect
03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the report. The bite is definitely starting to happen at NPH. By the way, where did you park and launch your yak? At 15th Street? I'm trying to find a good area that has parking. Thanks.

calico killer kevin
03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the report. The bite is definitely starting to happen at NPH. By the way, where did you park and launch your yak? At 15th Street? I'm trying to find a good area that has parking. Thanks.
Yep, i parked at 15th to launch the yaks, but moved the car to the residential area to avoid the coin slots. LOL My next excursion will probably be around M Street though because it have free parking, a great dock to make bait, a small sand beach, and fresh water showers.

bones
03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Sounds like an awesome day in the harbor Kevin. I envy guys who still have their fathers around to fish with.........Great job!
Me and a few pirates are going to invade the harbor on our tubes very soon!

Gotta love those spotties!

Thanks for the detailed report Team57 style!

GeordyBass
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Ahh hellz no. I was getting bit basically every cast with 2lb and when I stepped it up to 30/8 and 8lb maxima, I was only getting a bite like every 3 or 4 casts. I'm gonna start spooling up with 4 or 5lb test.
My bud (Bucketbay) uses 6lb. test Blackwater Line and it is super STRONG!Maybe their 4 is strong too?Too bad that line is expensive!lol...Flourocarbon rules!:Envious:

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
My bud (Bucketbay) uses 6lb. test Blackwater Line and it is super STRONG!Maybe their 4 is strong too?Too bad that line is expensive!lol...Flourocarbon rules!:Envious:

Congrats on the catches out there in NPH, way ta go...

Not sure if I'd go with that light of line on a huge toad...with all the structure and the fight patterns of the fish that frequent there, I'd aggree you will get bit more but the chances of landing the trophies greatly diminishes as you go down in line test.

Not saying you cant land them but I think the risks outweigh the gain...

I personally run 8lb but even 6lb pushes the limit....

I for 1 will stay with 8 most times, I'll switch to a 6lb here and there but very very seldom.

I'm talking flouro.....

Think BIg fish....not many fish....quality not qty...

but one cannot dispute that just catchin fish isnt a hoot...that is why we do it..

Nice work out there..
Congrats,
Gary

calico killer kevin
03-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Sounds like an awesome day in the harbor Kevin. I envy guys who still have their fathers around to fish with.........Great job!
Me and a few pirates are going to invade the harbor on our tubes very soon!

Gotta love those spotties!

Thanks for the detailed report Team57 style!
Thanks. Looking forward to a great Pillaging Pirates report.

I will probably spool a reel with 4 or 6lb Seaguar InvisX and see how it handles.

Congrats on the catches out there in NPH, way ta go...

Not sure if I'd go with that light of line on a huge toad...with all the structure and the fight patterns of the fish that frequent there, I'd aggree you will get bit more but the chances of landing the trophies greatly diminishes as you go down in line test.

Not saying you cant land them but I think the risks outweigh the gain...

I personally run 8lb but even 6lb pushes the limit....

I for 1 will stay with 8 most times, I'll switch to a 6lb here and there but very very seldom.

I'm talking flouro.....

Think BIg fish....not many fish....quality not qty...

but one cannot dispute that just catchin fish isnt a hoot...that is why we do it..

Nice work out there..
Congrats,
Gary
Thanks Gary. The 2lb line is just a great challenge, but it depends on the line. I normally use Izor 2lb XXX and have not had a SINGLE fish break me off on it...ever... I was using Maxima Ultragreen this time and even though it is a little limper, it has a lot less abrasion resistance. I'm looking for a light line casting reel right now such as a Daiwa Alphas or Sol so I don't have to deal with the line twists.

8lb is just a little too much in my opinion unless you're hali fishing. With 8lb, I just horsed them out from their cover. LOL They never had a chance. NPH spottie and fish in general do not respond well to lines over 8lbs and even 8lbs is pushing it.

I'm probably gonna be in your area next time, unless I can find some ghosties. If I do, then I'm gonna fish for croakers.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks. Looking forward to a great Pillaging Pirates report.

I will probably spool a reel with 4 or 6lb Seaguar InvisX and see how it handles.

Thanks Gary. The 2lb line is just a great challenge, but it depends on the line. I normally use Izor 2lb XXX and have not had a SINGLE fish break me off on it...ever... I was using Maxima Ultragreen this time and even though it is a little limper, it has a lot less abrasion resistance. I'm looking for a light line casting reel right now such as a Daiwa Alphas or Sol so I don't have to deal with the line twists.

8lb is just a little too much in my opinion unless you're hali fishing. With 8lb, I just horsed them out from their cover. LOL They never had a chance. NPH spottie and fish in general do not respond well to lines over 8lbs and even 8lbs is pushing it.

I'm probably gonna be in your area next time, unless I can find some ghosties. If I do, then I'm gonna fish for croakers.

Not sure about horsin any toads outa the cover but the smaller models maybe, it seems to be workin for you though so by all means don't fix it...

I can tell you that Seaguar invisx is an absolute Kick ARSE line (not cheap though), it actually holds up to the salt better than most as well (probably more salt/UV resistant to 3times) and super strong and super thin...they do make the new version ..AbrasX which is same diameter and stronger and more limp and less memory (not that invisX has much memory)....I have not tested that version in the salt yet to see the durability but for Striper fishing it has more than proven it's worth.

Anyway, doesnt matter the line, the test, the pole for that matter... in the end it 's just about getting on the fish.

Good luck,
Gary