PDA

View Full Version : "The Pipe" 3/20 (pics and video)

baybassboy
03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
headed up the line outta newport friday... got dad a new spinning reel (daiwa coastal 2500) for his birthday and just the thought of using it got him wanting to go fishing... so we grabbed the open water gear and looked to do some sandybass bouncin...

fished some high spots in deeper water as we were getting better meter marks out there. it was honestly r-tard fishing for a bit, which is good since pops casting a baitcaster is painful to watch. i was basically the guide; watching the meter and telling dad when to drop and bounce it off a fish's head. cool to be able to see a sandie take a swimbait in 80ft of water on the meter... so good at one point that we could meter a single fish mid water column and then be able to catch it or at least get it to bump

pics...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/thebigmojob/32009011.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/thebigmojob/32009008.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/thebigmojob/32009013.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/thebigmojob/32009006.jpg

my big fish went right at 6, dads went at 4.5... fun stuff for this time of year

all on the 5" Pearls smothered in hot sauce in natural colors (clearer water)

My Rig:
Reel - Shimano Curado 300DSV spooled with #50 Daiwa Samurai and a short (6') 20# Seagaur Premium leader
Rod - Custom Wrapped Phenix Black Diamond 808 ("Sick Nasty" is the only way to describe this rod)

Dad's Rig:
Reel - Shimano Calcutta TE 400 spooled with #20 Big Game and a short (6') 20# Seagaur Premium leader
Rod - Custom Wrapped Shikari SW 868 (if you have the chance to buy this blank, do it... no matter the cost. i got mine from Phenix at the 2007 Fred Hall Show)

oh, got a few zips on the soaked mackerel (hoping for a big croaker) but they were only interest hits as the baits came back with a crushed head and thats it... nothing would commit to really taking a bait... great signs of life out there right now; tons of bait, good meter marks, and all sorts of mammals... check the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPQFFbzjiSs

SDDave
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Very Nice, Nothing like running five miles from the house for action like that, looks like to much fun...

supasportkid
03-22-2009, 12:23 PM
nice bass out there!

troutdog
03-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Nice bath of bass, that vid is very cool....great to see all that action this time of year!

TD

TShaffer
03-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Very nice bass. How far out were you guys fishing?

JapanRon
03-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi baybassboy,

Most excellent grade of fishy. WTG getting out with dad. Do it as much as you can ...

JapanRon

flyngby
03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Some day I will get my new/used meter down to be that good!!!!

Thanks for the report.

Steve

San Felipe Bob
03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
What kind of fish-o meter do you use?

Good job on the big ones.

SFB

CalamARI
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Nice bass, sweet set-ups too.

kgselect
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Nice sandies. Cool video. Things are starting to happen in the salt.

j-DuBb
03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Nice bass .... pretty sick boil vid.

-j-

baybassboy
03-27-2009, 09:59 AM
thanks for all of the comments guys... my dad and i always have a ton of fun when we fish together; and it was nice to get into a good bite like that...

answers...

Very nice bass. How far out were you guys fishing?

we were about a mile off of the north end of newport...

What kind of fish-o meter do you use?

SFB... just last year, we upgraded to a Furuno FCV620. we had a similar Furuno unit that was much older (which was very hard to part with as sometimes the older stuff is much better), but this unit is amazing. When fishing in <100ft of water, i like to use it in "dual frequency mode". this allows you to see two different size cones at the same time to determine whether fish/structure are directly under you or just close. With much practice, this mode allows you to identify where hard bottom meets sand/mud even without depth change. i rarely use "bottom lock" mode because it can only be used with one frequency at a time and i feel like it is less accurate on the whole. just know that without bottom lock on, that very small mark near the bottom could be a very quality fish.

Nice bass, sweet set-ups too.

thank you very much... each of these set-ups was a significant part of the paycheck, but opting to pay a little more for quality really pays off when you use them a lot. on our way out, my dad and i were actually talking about how far we have come on the equipment side of things. i remember when i was much younger, fishing with my dad out of a soft bottom zodiac, throwing worm kings at boiler rocks with $30 shimano fx spin set-ups. weird that that entire set-up is about the cost of some of the braided lines i use now. but the point is, it took us a looooong time to get to this point and we learned a lot about equipment along the way.

Nice bass .... pretty sick boil vid.

thank you... it really is special to see that much life all in one area... we almost got pooped on!