PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake (3/21)

boomstikit
03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Me and a couple of buddies went to Irvine to do some bass fishing. We arrived at the lake at 6:15am, we were probably the 100th car in line, admittedly I was discouraged at first but the line did move quickly. The next line I stood in was inside the tackle shop to get the rental boat. After finally getting a boat, we were on the lake by 7:30. The last time I fished Irvine was September so I was surprised at how high the lake level is. Our first stop was The Flats, flooded brush/trees and stick ups everywhere. The problem was that there were boats and pontoons everywhere also. It was a zoo. After a while, we decided to move to The Cliffs and fish the points. A parade of boats trolling along the shore was our next obstacle. We anchored off one point when a boat came between us and the shore, and we were maybe 30 feet from shore. So again we moved and headed over to Sierra Cove. As we rounded the point, we counted 16 boats inside of Sierra Cove. So instead me moved around the point and fished some flooded brush near the outhouse. While we were fishing a pontoon boat came up to the dock. The boat had a bunch of questionable looking people on it, blasting their music and drinking. After they returned from their restroom break, I heard one of the guys say he wanted to drive. So he sits down and starts lifting the motor out of the water, and then revs it. Funny thing was that nobody could figure out why the boat was not moving. Talking about a dangerous situation, there was another boat docked that had small kids with them. After they figured out the problem they lowered the motor and floored it. The last place we stopped was Crawdad Point. Only excitement was watching two guys in a rental boat getting stoned. We were off the lake at noon. Final count was 7 bass, all were 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. We caught all our fish on drop shot (dark colored Robo worms). I am not bashing Irvine Lake or the staff. I understand that they can only control what goes on to a certain point. I am just telling people what we experienced yesterday.

fishboy93
03-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Thats sounds like a good day of fishing for the most part. I was there with my dad. You probably saw me back in the Sierra cove. We didnt gat any bass under 2 lbs. and the biggest was about a 5lb female.

Mondo21
03-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a better day out there than we had. I was out at the Flats, it was real slow for everyone. Even the Folks in the boats! Came out w/one Trout(1 1/2 lbs.) from 6:30 to 3:30pm. Thanks for the report. Cindy:Smile:

SteveH
03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
boom,
Sounds like a typical weekend day at Irvine.
You should of known that by showing up on Sat. at 6:15 that you were going to be about 200th in line. I will not fish there on the weekend because of all the "weekend warriors".
You can't blame that on the Vine staff. As long as no one died and the cops didn't show up, it was a good day.
By the way, I've recently seen a ton of bass back by the creek area in the flats. I think there's a ton of shad back up in there. Anyway, forget the vine on the weekend, if your serious about catching some fish, you gotta go during the week.
Tight lines...

mobilereef
03-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Sounds like a blast to me! I need to go and see one of those crazy weekends soon. Have there been any bass over 10 caught this year?

boomstikit
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
SteveH,
I am not blasting away at the lake staff. I understand that they can only control what they see. I think I am just shocked at what I witnessed. But more disturbing was the lack of fishing etiquette. I have read posts about problems at Irvine Lake on weekends in the past but just ignored them, now I know they spoke the truth. If anybody wants to go next Friday for bass, send me a PM.

FishinFireman
03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Booms, you have a PM

VineAssist
03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
SteveH,
. But more disturbing was the lack of fishing etiquette. I .

Booms....
I have had marker bouys picked up while fishing in the general area. Been anchored on basically on top off, cut off,, etc..
The worst was before I got my boat a guy in a bass boat actually bumped into the rental I was fishing. When I said something the guys said "What does it matter your fishing Catfish!"
Truth of the matter is some people probably lack the knowledge or experience and they see you catching fish and think that is where all the fish are! I have had trout anglers follow behind me as I am fishing a swimbait for bass!!!
Common respect is key. If someone comes up and asks me if I will share a spot more than likely I will. However, when people come in cut in front of me on a bank and then come at me (the opposite direction I am going) then I have problems.
The best thing to do in this instance is to call the shop and we will take care of it.