PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Castaic Pig

Basstaic
03-21-2009, 11:44 AM
It was cold out there today!! I took my dad out to Pyramid yesterday in search of striper and the weather was perfect. I took him to Castaic for largemouths today and it was freezing.

The good news is that I hooked into this 3 pound 3 ounce pig early, and then the weather chased us off the lake by 10:00. The fish were still holding deep (this one was caught in 25 feet of water). The clarity is still unreal and you can pretty much see to the bottom of each cove which gives you a chance to get an idea of what the fish are doing. They are still not spawning (water temp. was 57 degrees), but they are getting ready.

http://zerolimitfishing.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=125

GeordyBass
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice fattie Basstaic!

Making me and captain proud!,,,lol,,,

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
nice work, stay on 'em...and I have been watching you...you are putting time in on them and thats what ya need to do...thats PRECISELY what it takes to get into their mind (so to speak) if your on the water long enough you'll begin to start thinking like them !

soon enough one of the coveted "HAWGS" will be on your line...make sure you have good copolymer or flouro and your drag set right (constantly double check your drag!)...soon on I'll turn some attention to the mossbacks too ! when temps get up and you'll see me out there pounding 'em too.

Stay on it buddy..

nice work on the catch
Gary

thepuma
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Great report with lots of good information. Congrats on the fish and thanks for sharing. I need to get me a boat. I have only fished the upper from the shore. Would like to try in a boat someday. There are some big fish in there.

TShaffer
03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Nice report and nice bass. Way to keep at em.

Basstaic
03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Gary,

You aren't kidding. The longer you are on the water, the more you think like the fish. With the water this clear, you can actually see what they are doing and get an even better idea.