PDA

View Full Version : The Vine 03/20.............

King Halibut
03-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Well I thought I would take the day off and hit the Vine with the old man. All started good enough, we got there aroung 5:30 and were probably 15th car in line.

Tough to figure out where you're going in the dark seeing as how every time I come to the lake there is more and more and more and more water in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We finally foung a nice "little" spit of dry land that was still above water on what used to be the very productive Trout Island side of the peninsula. We set up and tried every friggin' thing we had: power bait, all colors shapes and sizes, power worms, all colors under the sun, worms, different length leaders, long, short, in between, casting as far as we could, casting shorter, all the while using 2lb. test line.

Let me tell ya............it SUCKED big time, 1 trout @ 9am and a nice crappie around 11:30 and that was it!

Now by no means do I profess myself as any type of professional fisherman, but I do realize that when one can walk the entire span of "dry" fishable land (not much left) on either side on that peninsula (Trout Island side and the Santiago Flats side) and see a grand total of 6 fish something is very, very wrong.

Now I know all you boat owners and renters will poo poo my comments here, but not all of us are fortunate (and I use that term loosley, as I used to) to own a boat or to wish to rent a boat, but just say NO to more water.

It is getting to the point that unless you have a boat you're SCREWED unless you want to stand in armpit high schrubs and foliage which is now where the water level has risen.

Come on Irvine management, I understand that the lake is a reservoir and is used for drinking water and irregation, but you're still charging $22.00 dollars a head to get in to fish, so how about giving us some room to do so?

Oh and to make matters worse, I understand that you plan on putting even MORE water in the lake in order to increase water "sales" this summer! If you're going to charge people to fish, give them room to fish!

I also realize that if I don't like the conditions I can go somewhere else and fish, but I like this lake, I like the scenery and I like that it is close to home, but I would also like to catch some fish without having to trample through bushes and having it costing an arm and a leg.

One other thing, my father is 74 years old and a veteran living on a fixed income. We got to the lake yesterday expecting to pay the normal entrance fee for myself and the senior citizen rate for him. WHAT, Friday is now considered a weekend? When did that happen?
All this time I was under the impression that Friday was part of the work week and weekends were still defined as Saturday and Sunday.
Hell if that's the case I've been working way too many hours when I should have been fishing!

Come on guys, give me a break charge one rate on weekdays (Monday - Friday) and another on weekends and Holidays if you must!

I have come to this conclusion, for those entering the Masters and all remaining tournaments/derbys, I wish you luck. GET THERE EARLY, or you won't find an uninhabited piece of dry land unless of coarse you have or rent or know someone with a boat.

Until next winter when the water level is down and the land is dry..........tight lines.

KH

MAVERICK27
03-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow, we all have a tough day here and there. I certainly have had a few this year. BUT the lake has fish in it! We all limited in a couple hours last weekend. Both places we fished were accessable to pedestrians too. Keep at it, for evey bad fishing day, there are better ones. I personally like the more water. It makes the fish less predictable for the tourneys. For this I mean that they arent just 5 feet from shore now. They can actually go elsewhere. Trout Island has become less and less productive with the more water. You need to go back in the flats or boat dock or woodys cove. Good luck out ther next time!!

dixoncider
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Fished the 20th in the campground by the launch ramp. Had 4 trout for 6 people. pretty slow. saw them stock late in the day so there are fish in the lake.

VineAssist
03-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Okay everybody,
The water level is beyond our control. Please understand that we are a storage facility for water. Irvine Lake is a storage facility for the city of Villa Park and is also used by Irvine Ranch Irrigation District. They are the people that decied to raise or lower the lake level not the managment of Irvine Lake.

I for one am stoked on the increase in water levels. It opens up a lot more than some people might be aware of. When the lake is at full pool the area that is now the campground is unreal trout fishing. Also Woody's Cove becomes very fishable for shorebound anglers.

I saw that King Halibut talked about cutting the brush and so on and so forth. I am not quite sure we can do that due to certain habitat that does grow in the area. We have had people come out in the past and they basically told us we could not cut any brush.

The increase in water levels is going to help out the lake immensly in the long run. The bass, crappie and bluegill are going to get a great spawn off this year. I know all you Trout guys are going to say "Who Cares about that?" However, the Shad are also going to get a awesome spawn off with the increased water levels which will in turn help out the Trout fishing next year. Furthermore with the increased depth at the lake fishing for Trout could possibly last well into July. It all depends on the water temps in the the depth of Irvine Lake. So get out here and fish!

SteveH
03-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Hey there Jimmy "da' hooks",
Are you saying the water level is or will be rising more?
If so, when? I'd love another shot at that cove when it's stacked.
King, sorry for your bad day on the water. That's why they call it fishing and not catching.
I fish the lake every Monday, I can promise you, the lake is full of fish.
If you are not getting bit in a spot, don't sit there all day.
As a local at the lake, I can tell you (as I'm sure you're aware) move, if your not on the fish, it doesn't always require a boat to find them.
So, "Hooks" or "troutdog", tell me about more water!
Cya Monday guys,
Steve