PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shark is this?

tunagod1
03-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Caught this shark last weekend hooping at Catalina, Anyone know what kind of shark this is?
This thing was so fat it looked like a baby seal when we first brought it up.We released him/her after the photos. Anyway, we ended up the night with 17 lobster for three of us.

Tuna out

cappo
03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Thats a swell shark, you notice they bloat themselves when you bring them up.

City Dad
03-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I think the FNN rule of thumb is this; Any fish of quesionable identity is a squawfish.

Therefore I can tell you that your catch is a squawfish (or pikeminow if you caught it in WA state)

Since I've been a memeber here I've been amazed at the variety of shapes, sizes and coloration squawfish come in. I used to think they were just a large minow species found in Pacific drainages, but thanks to people who know better than I, I've come to learn that a squawfish is basically anything with fins that isn't a bass - and sometimes it can be a salamander or an old boot.

Squawfish! Squawfish! When I close my eyes all I see are squawfish!

TShaffer
03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not completely sure but I would say swell shark as well. Those are some cool pics and nice job on the lobsters.

nator
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
that looks like a swell shark. me and chris from fnn have caught one of those hooping. the latest hitch hiker for us was a huge bat ray.

midgettosser1
03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
lol. you guys have the same expression in the second pic.

ahahaha... and now that i look... the same expression in the first pic too.

JapanRon
03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi tunagod1,

I agree with cappo ... we caught one ..... no two (pic in 3/2 report) on a moo-moo. They must be spawning or something as I don't think they are that commonly caught around the 'Shoe'. Could be wrong but .....

So often ... we'll get a flurry of catching an odd or uncommon fish simply because they come in shallower to spawn and then return to deeper water for the remainder of the year.

JapanRon

troutdog
03-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I think the FNN rule of thumb is this; Any fish of quesionable identity is a squawfish.

Therefore I can tell you that your catch is a squawfish (or pikeminow if you caught it in WA state)

Since I've been a memeber here I've been amazed at the variety of shapes, sizes and coloration squawfish come in. I used to think they were just a large minow species found in Pacific drainages, but thanks to people who know better than I, I've come to learn that a squawfish is basically anything with fins that isn't a bass - and sometimes it can be a salamander or an old boot.

CD can I get your new dealer's number? :Wink:

TD

Rich and Noah
03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Definately a swell shark. They swallow water when they get scared. I caught a 100lb+ in mexican waters a long time ago and looked it up.

I heard they taste like chicken...

ghetto dad
03-20-2009, 05:29 PM
lol. you guys have the same expression in the second pic.

ahahaha... and now that i look... the same expression in the first pic too.

:ROFL: :ROFL:Its funny, but they actually DO!! lol....

GD

hakaveli
03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
:ROFL: :ROFL:Its funny, but they actually DO!! lol....

GD

Looks like the shark that victor101 ran away from

q3fishboy
03-21-2009, 02:10 AM
So, first of all, that is definitely a swell shark.

We catch then with decent frequency at Goleta Pier.

And, as has been said, they have a defense mechanism of swallowing water to puff themselves up and wedge themselves in cracks so that they can't be pulled out by predators. However, probably more of a problem on a pier since we are elevated, when removed from water they will gulp air instead of water. If they are out of water for long enough, this can result in them gulping so much air that they cannot expel it as they cannot submerge and end up floating belly up. So, please try to minimize handling time or make sure that they are not stuck floating on the surface after release.

Additionally, someone mentioned that they taste like chicken. While I'm sure this was just a joke, it is probably worth it to mention that swell sharks are one of the fish that you should definitely not eat. They have a mild toxin in their flesh that will result in vomiting and otherwise making you sick. They are a cool shark but don't try to eat them.

megafisher94
03-23-2009, 08:55 AM

i remember that argument!!!

City Dad
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
i remember that argument!!!

arguments... ;)

Before I was a professional tilapia chaser I was a professional squawfisher... I don't like to brag, but I've forgotten more about catching squawfish than most anglers ever learn...

Stormcrow
03-23-2009, 11:03 AM
i think the fnn rule of thumb is this; any fish of quesionable identity is a squawfish.

Squawfish! Squawfish! When i close my eyes all i see are squawfish!

that is so true its freakin hilarious!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: