PDA

View Full Version : PVR Bicycle Alert!

bob sr
03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
In the 3-20-09 issue of WON, in the Eastern Sierra Fishing Formcharts, I will Quote the following: "Bad news is that BIKES ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED BY DWP on the road next to Pleasant Valley Reservoir."...I wonder what happened? It has got to be something that occurred during the Blake Jones Trout Derby....Has anybody out there heard anything about this???????

Granny Fish
03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
That is interesting.... I wonder what may have brought this about?

Sierra_Smitty
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Wow - that blows. I hate DWP.

fly addict
03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow - that blows. I hate DWP.
Nothing wrong with the DWP. They let us all have access to places that if it was owned by private landowners, we would not have access to. Can you imagine what the Owens Valley would look like if a 100,000 plus people lived up there? All the waterfront property would have no trespassing signs everywhere. No hunting or fishing except in the National Forest. Most people I have met who live up there are happy the DWP is the major landowner!

Sierra_Smitty
03-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Nothing wrong with the DWP. They let us all have access to places that if it was owned by private landowners, we would not have access to. Can you imagine what the Owens Valley would look like if a 100,000 plus people lived up there? All the waterfront property would have no trespassing signs everywhere. No hunting or fishing except in the National Forest. Most people I have met who live up there are happy the DWP is the major landowner!

It's a love/hate thing with DWP. I'm not ignorant to the fact that there are some pluses to DWP being here - but I can still resent them for the way the land was taken and strongly dislike some of their policies.

retired96
03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
And can you imagine what the Owens Valley would look like if LA wouldn't have bought all the land stole the water 100 years ago..

seal
03-20-2009, 08:58 PM

If the DWP had it anything to say about it we wouldn't have access to any of the water they control up there including Crowley! They make up reasons to shut us out of access to water. The only thing stopping them is the threat of lawsuits and public outcry. Then they re-water a section of the Owens and they and LA's mayor pat themselves on the back, although the reason the river ran dry was of their own doing.

fly addict
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
And can you imagine what the Owens Valley would look like if LA wouldn't have bought all the land stole the water 100 years ago..

Yea I can imagine it would look like LA, with smog, traffic, gangs, and no open land for the public to enjoy. And maybe pay high prices at private lakes to catch fish with out tails. Yes the DWP may not be perfect, and how they ended up with all the land up there may not be totally legal, but the alternative would be far worse for people who want to get away and enjoy the outdoors! I am not going to complain about the DWP past actions, that’s history.
In the last 10 years or so the DWP has had to rewater or maintain minimum flows on rivers and streams. That just makes the area better for the fishing enthusiast. I am going to take advantage of the outdoor opportunities that the DWP provide today in the Owens Valley! And no I have never worked for the DWP!

retired96
03-21-2009, 07:17 AM
I can't for the life of me think of one good reason why DWP would ban bikes at PVR. I wonder if someone got hit by a bike rider. The few times I fish PVR each year, most everyone I see is walking.

Would really like to know the reason for the ban.

tpfishnfool
03-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Yea , the first time I went to the owens as a kid , I was blown away by all the LA county signs everywhere. ?? Huh ?? I thought this was Inyo County ? How did they do that ? My Dad said, Son its all about the water in California. It could start wars.. Yea someone stole all that water.

retired96
03-21-2009, 08:50 AM
For those of you that would like to read a very good book about the DWP and the Owens Valley water, " Cadillac Desert" by Mark Reisner. Its a very good read and details many of the shady and fraudeulent ways LA obtained the land and water rights.

sierraslam
03-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I almost got slammed into by 3 out of control bikers walking down to my truck in the dark on the Friday before the Blake Jones Derby. That said, I would not advocate banning bikes. Some people really go all out in decking out there fishing wagons. they should have a wagon prise for the derby.

Eat Sleep Fish
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
...bad news but this will make fishing better in the mid section of the lake eventually.

daveg456
03-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Can we get a PVR bailout so we can ride a bike?

Nice job DWP of supporting your friends and neighbors and the economy in the Long Valley. I know me and my friends won't be taking another trip this year to PVR, before the real season opens, to spend my money in the area. I already went up there once in the off season but you multiply that by dozens if not hundreds of people that WILL NOT go up there any more and you have done a real disservice to the local community.

PVR is a treasure as you can fish it all year long and being able to ride bikes there allows families to bring their kids and plant the seeds for future fishermen to come back again and again. Why would you put road blocks to increasing interest in the area, especially during these economic times?

Is the Federal Reserve running PVR now too?

retired96
03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I sent a email to DWP regarding bikes at PVR, asked if its true and if so the reason. will post their response if I get one.

daveg456
03-23-2009, 07:35 AM
I know a lot of road bikers use that road too vs. riding on the 395 with cars buzzing you at 80 mph so you can add another group of human economic stimulus that will be affected by this idiotic decision.

The only reason I can see for them to restrict bikes is that people are parking in the middle of the road and the DWP truck that drives by has to deal with this hassle. If this is the case, have signs up saying you can't park in the middle of the road. If it's about a liability issue, have people fill out a release form with a sticker on the bike. If you don't have a sticker, you can't PARK there. This would still allow the road bikers to ride through since they are not stopping to fish.

Whatever the issue, there are simple solutions that can be implemented for the benefit of all.

tpfishnfool
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Just spotted a guy on a trike today there .. He had a big smile and an empty promise ... LOL

EMarty
03-23-2009, 09:38 PM
No doubt bikes would give access to the terrorist... and mussles. Can't believe you guy just don't understand the serious danger bicycle represent. Thank goodness DWP is looking out for all of us.

Joshua
03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
has anyone seen any official statement. Seems like mob mentality. Where is my pitch fork? If I head up there in the next few weeks. i am taking my bike. Are they going to post a guard

I for one have worked with the guys at the DWP plant on Gorge Road. they allowed me to go inside and interview several of the employees. i needed some footage on Alternative Energy (hydro-electric)
DWP doesnt really care about the power, that is a by-product of getting water to LA. Cool guys that work in the office. Before we burn down the place, how about we get some answers.

Sierra_Smitty
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
has anyone seen any official statement. Seems like mob mentality. Where is my pitch fork? If I head up there in the next few weeks. i am taking my bike. Are they going to post a guard

I for one have worked with the guys at the DWP plant on Gorge Road. they allowed me to go inside and interview several of the employees. i needed some footage on Alternative Energy (hydro-electric)
DWP doesnt really care about the power, that is a by-product of getting water to LA. Cool guys that work in the office. Before we burn down the place, how about we get some answers.

I'm interested to see the response to Retired96's email - that should be enlightening.

Martin Strelneck has been here a very long time and is highly respected and well connected up here - I'd be shocked if he would report something like this if he didn't know for sure. I guess time will tell.

http://www.wonews.com/t-NCOnteSpotEventReport-MartinStrelneck-Morethan-031609.aspe

BTW - I've met some of the DWP guys too - all have been cool. I wouldn't think those guys are in a position to make policy though...probably the higher-ups.

EMarty
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
OK so we'll leave the pitch forks and torches for another time. And nobody said anything bad about the DWP employees, heck I've hitched a ride back to the parking lot several time from these guys. Just poking a little fun, and come on the excuse to close Hawiee because of terrorist is laughable... right?

daveg456
03-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, all the times I've come across the people that work there, they are really cool. But this decision seems to have no good legs to stand on.

Retired, can you clue us in on the email or a phone number where concerned fishermen can voice their opinion?

retired96
03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Don't get me wrong, all the times I've come across the people that work there, they are really cool. But this decision seems to have no good legs to stand on.

Retired, can you clue us in on the email or a phone number where concerned fishermen can voice their opinion?

I just used the DWP website, and used the " contact us' email. have not received a response yet.

Joshua
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
what about electric scooters? Lets see where this thing goes. I am all about bucking the system.
What about a unicycle? If they say no bicycles. What if I have a tricycle. It clearly isnt a bicylce. Bi=2. tri=3. I would clearly be within my legal rights.
Where is our teacher friend, he can back me on this.

Who is going to enforce. DFG, local PD, DWP employees could care less if we take bikes in.

BishopTrouter
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
If this is true thats really gonna suck.... But as previously stated that"ll just leave more fish for me b/c it will cut out all the efficient fishermen who bike to the best spots =P

daveg456
03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
what about electric scooters? Lets see where this thing goes. I am all about bucking the system.
What about a unicycle? If they say no bicycles. What if I have a tricycle. It clearly isnt a bicylce. Bi=2. tri=3. I would clearly be within my legal rights.
Where is our teacher friend, he can back me on this.

Who is going to enforce. DFG, local PD, DWP employees could care less if we take bikes in.

If it comes to that, I'll break out my dork cap and buy some roller blades or a razor. What are they going to do when they see little kids on their razors? Have a speed trap and tackle them as they go buy and take away their scoobie doo fishing poles too?

Can Team 57 put together a PVR Biker shirt or something?

SCVchad
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
its probably for the same reason you cant ride at quail lake, which is, actually i dont know

daveg456
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Here's the phone number and email addresses to air your concerns so they don't take your Scoobie Doo poles and the new razor you spent all night decking out with sequins and pearls.

1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397),
or 213-481-5411,

ccenter@ladwp.com

txcurry
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the email. WON mistakenly printed in their 3/20/09 issue that bikes are no longer allowed on the PV road adjacent to the reservoir. Apparently their reporter misunderstood a new sign at the walk-through gates, and did not call our office to check before printing the notice. The signs are meant to inform the public that MOTORIZED vehicles are not allowed, which has been the policy since the reservoir opened in the 1950s. Our staff is going to change the signs ASAP to avoid confusion.

Please be assured that bikes are still allowed and there is no change in the long-standing policy.

Regards,

Chris Plakos
LADWP
Bishop Office

retired96
03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Thats good news, but I still have to walk because I don't own a bike.

Sierra_Smitty
03-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Me too hahahaha....

On a side note - Mr. Strelnik made a very uncharacteristic mistake, I'll have to give him a hard time about it next time I talk to him. hahahah!

I saw the sign about a month ago and read it the same way as Martin did - but I was walking and didn't really give it a second thought.

Joshua
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the email. WON mistakenly printed in their 3/20/09 issue that bikes are no longer allowed on the PV road adjacent to the reservoir. Apparently their reporter misunderstood a new sign at the walk-through gates, and did not call our office to check before printing the notice. The signs are meant to inform the public that MOTORIZED vehicles are not allowed, which has been the policy since the reservoir opened in the 1950s. Our staff is going to change the signs ASAP to avoid confusion.

Please be assured that bikes are still allowed and there is no change in the long-standing policy.

Regards,

Chris Plakos
LADWP
Bishop Office

Arent we glad that NOONE jumped the gun on this. Got over excited for no good reason.:EyePop:

Havent we all learned our lesson about WON, Never trust a word they publish . I refuse to look at , let alone buy that rag. Wont even wrap my fish in it. (soap box) Just reinforces my beliefsthat it is a mag full of misinformation
GOD Bless

daveg456
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Along with my friends Pat, Chris, Terry and Jean, I would like to thank you all for helping get rid of the menace that is ambiguous signs. My friends, more so than others, know the dangers of ambiguous words which can lead to confusion, anger and blind dates with the wrong sex. Please help us stamp out any more bad signs that we may encounter in the future.

Sparky70
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
How about Hawiee resavore, DWP shut it again on the pretense of a Terror threat a couple years ago. That was a good place to fish, caught my first DD trout out of it a few years back. How come the DWP don't close down all the dirt roads that run along that pipe-line and call it a terrorist threat? Why? They want to keep the good fishing to their Buddies in the L.A. Area.

daveg456
03-27-2009, 06:50 PM

If you have a trailer hitch, I got a rack at Kragen on sale for about $70 and holds 4 bikes. It works and beats paying $400 for one of the high end ones that hold less.

seal
03-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Arent we glad that NOONE jumped the gun on this. Got over excited for no good reason.:EyePop:

Havent we all learned our lesson about WON, Never trust a word they publish . I refuse to look at , let alone buy that rag. Wont even wrap my fish in it. (soap box) Just reinforces my beliefsthat it is a mag full of misinformation
GOD Bless

Yea I guess your correct. I let my WON subscription go a couple years back and don't think I really have missed a thing. I miss the Double Haul in the Fall tournaments they have cancelled but they priced me out of that competition a few years back.

But DWP is capable of just about anything so that's my excuse for joining in with the mob!

Joshua
03-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Yea I guess your correct. I let my WON subscription go a couple years back and don't think I really have missed a thing. I miss the Double Haul in the Fall tournaments they have cancelled but they priced me out of that competition a few years back.

But DWP is capable of just about anything so that's my excuse for joining in with the mob!
There is planty of reason to question some of the business practices of LADWP from a moral and ethical point of view.
At least can still ride bikes into PVR.

TroutOnly
03-30-2009, 07:57 AM
DIDNT YOU READ THE SIGN,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,t/o,,,,,,

fly addict
03-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Now you why WON’s nickname is the lair. What good is week old news anyway, when you can jump on the web and get info that can be minutes old?

Joshua
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Now you why WON’s nickname is the lair. What good is week old news anyway, when you can jump on the web and get info that can be minutes old?
Because people still need to be MISinformed with outdated information. I guess there are maybe 50 people that dont have access to computers.

fly addict
04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Because people still need to be MISinformed with outdated information. I guess there are maybe 50 people that dont have access to computers.

Joshua,
If people don’t have a computer now days they probably can’t read anyway. They most likely date their cousins, have a month full of rotten teeth and fish with dynamite!:ROFL:

fishinone
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Joshua,
If people don’t have a computer now days they probably can’t read anyway. They most likely date their cousins, have a month full of rotten teeth and fish with dynamite!:ROFL:

wot's Rong with fishin'th dynamyht?