PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Canal Question

H20Rusty
03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
I have been in the valley for the better part of 35 years. When I was a kid, I used to fish the canal frequently. I just went out there dying to wet a line and what a difference from a few years back! Where did that lining come from?! Is the whole thing lined now? I drove as far as I could on the service road and the lining went as far as I could see. I am hoping that someone will tell me that the lining doesn't go that far or that there is "as good" bass fishing in some of the ditches or something. After reading some of the other posts I get the impression that it killed the (largemouth) bass fishing. I was totally bummed. Didn't catch jack! :Crying: Is there hope for the bass on the canal? All I saw was several big carp. I thought about sacrificing my sandwich to catch them so I could bury them in my garden for fertilizer. We used to catch monster gills and crayfish out of there and it wasn't far from my house. I was hoping that there would be a great local spot to go to when you can't make it to DVL or Blythe. Kinda like going to your favorite 2 dollar hooker when your wife or girlfriend is holding out on you. But then you get there and you find out she's married and has 3 kids.

Mrmedia
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Desert cat should be able to help you out. I will be going out there a few times this year so I will have more knowledge soon.

LOL @ the favorite 2 dollar hookers. No thanks, lol No STD's for me.

Catrack77
03-19-2009, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=H20Rusty;32186

oatums
03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Are you the guy I talk to yesterday?

Catrack77
03-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Are you the guy I talk to yesterday?

No but I work fo

H20Rusty
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Oatums: I think I talked to you the other day off Dillon Rd? You're buddy caught a dink striper? If that was you, then this is me.

Desert Cat: I have been reading your posts for a few months now. You are a wealth of info. What a great resource working for the CVWD. Its much easier getting quality answers this way rather than the way I used to do it which was to try to call CVWD and try and probe secretaries for info. Trouble is they don't often know much about fishing or general canal information. Thanks for the answer.

Next Question: What about the ditches? The one that I am thinking about is on the other side of the Salton Sea, it goes under HWY 86 and empties into the Salton Sea. It seems to me that it should hold some bass and cats that could feed on tilapia. Any leads?

H20Rusty
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know about the recharge ponds out at windy point? My old man used to take me 4x4ing out there. We tried 25+ years ago a few times but caught nothing. I have always heard of a guy, who knows someone who caught one…and its usually big. But I have never seen myself, or met the guy that actually caught one. I have also heard recently that the ponds have been fenced off. It looks like beautiful water though.

Desert Cat, this one's probably for you too being that you are CVWD and that's CVWD territory.

plumbertom
03-20-2009, 01:08 PM
What about what I've heard about the Sheriffs writing trespassing tickets for driving on the canal road?
I've heard this from a couple of sources now.

H20Rusty
03-20-2009, 03:10 PM
I wonder if that was just an isolated incident? I was out there last weekend and there were off roaders all over the place on the roads around the canal. There are no posted signs telling you to keep off the road. There is even a sign (not official, just spray paint) that said "canal access" with an arrow pointing in the direction showing where you could drive on to the canal service road.

The "no trespassing" signs painted on the canal walls, I was told by a CVWD engineer, mean that no one is allowed in the canal, as in swimming etc. Cars often use the road to travel as far south as El Centro. As a matter of fact, I was almost run down by an early model Hundai traveling north, who pulled up behind me and actually flashed his lights to get me to let him by. He was creating a dust cloud 50+ ft high (going 45-50 mph easy) and left a rooster tail of gravel. He could have been seen for miles around. I think if the Sheriffs really wanted people off that road, signs would be posted and far more people would get tickets. I have been out there 3-4 times since I saw that post warning about the sheriffs. I have not seen any when I have been there this year. I don't doubt that they have been there and that a ticket was given. Sometimes "feces" happens. It won't stop me until I get a ticket and argue it in front of a judge. Not that I'm some kind of badass or anything (and I haven't talked to any lawyers or sheriffs) but, if you are driving in a street legal vehicle, safley and sanely, what's the harm?

Catrack77
03-20-2009, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=H20Rusty;322177][

Catrack77
03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=H20Rusty;322180]

H20Rusty
03-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Does that mean that there would/could/should be fish in Whitewater River?

RamboBoy
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Whitewater is not anymore fishing trout. They preserved the trouts in ponds there, so no fishing!

It is only for the visitors are going to the Whitewater River Park to veiwg beautiful place and also feeding the trout. They will give you a cup of feeding trouts. It was pretty fun to watch boiling trout when you give feeding food to trouts.

Catrack77
03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=H20Rusty;323074]Doe

Toefish
03-23-2009, 10:40 AM
What about what I've heard about the Sheriffs writing trespassing tickets for driving on the canal road?
I've heard this from a couple of sources now.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of the "lotto winners" on that one... I'm going into Court soon with regard to my ticket. I'll let you know what happens. I was looking at the County Ordinance that was sited, and it fell under "operating OHV(off-highway vehicle) on private land"... OHV? It was a Hyundai Santa Fe, and not even a 4X4... Was told it was going to be about $100.00 for the "first" one, then got it in the mail and it was $376...