PDA

View Full Version : downrigger advice needed

fishfinder
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
i am finally going to buy one.
is this a good buy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MMZ5W4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1237397923&sr=8-1&condition=new

any advice on how to mount it? i want to mount it in exsisting pole holder mounts if i can.
any-one own this model?

TrouTracker
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
To FF- I own the Cannon electric downrigger and couldn't be happier with it. In reference to mounting your downrigger, get the opinion from the pro's over at Angler's Marine or your favorite tackle shop. I had Angler's Marine mount mine and they placed it in the perfect location. Because yours is not electric, you shouldn't have any problems with cables. Your downrigger already has a pole holder attached to it. It may look a little cheesy, but it works really well. One thing you may not like is the constant "noise" coming off the downrigger cable. I changed mine out to Power Pro 250 lb line, which totally eliminated the sound. Good luck with your new toy......
Barry A. Ogawa

PureAle
03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
nice. go kill some stripersssss.

PureAle

fishfinder
03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
To FF- I own the Cannon electric downrigger and couldn't be happier with it. In reference to mounting your downrigger, get the opinion from the pro's over at Angler's Marine or your favorite tackle shop. I had Angler's Marine mount mine and they placed it in the perfect location. Because yours is not electric, you shouldn't have any problems with cables. Your downrigger already has a pole holder attached to it. It may look a little cheesy, but it works really well. One thing you may not like is the constant "noise" coming off the downrigger cable. I changed mine out to Power Pro 250 lb line, which totally eliminated the sound. Good luck with your new toy......
Barry A. Ogawa

well we have no tackle shops up here, just ask T.O. we have to drive or shop online.
As for the pole holder. i have the flush mount pole holders and thought there was a mount to adapt the downrigger to them.

alpine8fisherman
03-22-2009, 09:36 AM
i am finally going to buy one.
is this a good buy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MMZ5W4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1237397923&sr=8-1&condition=new

any advice on how to mount it? i want to mount it in exsisting pole holder mounts if i can.
any-one own this model?
Fishfinder-I own the exact model now and I am very please with it. Fishing in most lakes, you troll in ranges not much deeper than 50-60 feet, therefore, the manual unit works fine. For deep lake trolling such as for lake trout or ocean salmon then an electric unit is a must. In my experience, mounting and wiring of an electric units becomes more critical. Do not mount your unit too close to the rear of transom where you have to reach uncomfortable to load the unit. If you fishes alone then mount the unit in mid-ship where it is visible will be advantages. I once fished with a guy that have both rigger mounted in the bow, in front of his boat windshield, at first, I thought they were in the wrong area and it turned out to be the more pleasant trolling experience outing where you did not have to twist around to check your line (unless you have a reel with a "clicker" setting). I mounted my unit onto a 1/2 inch aluminum plate that mounted the rigger onto an adjustable mount. The plate is mounted securely onto the gunwale and the unit can be easily remove from the plate by 4 large wing-nuts. You must mount the unit onto a very secure mounting and do not insert it into a flimsy rod holder PVC type insert. I personally have not have a unit ripped from my boat but have know of such incidents. I only use the unit rod holder only when I am clipping my line onto the holder. I use another rod holder on extension away from the rigger that is more secure and flexible. Hope you find this information helpful and happy trolling.

pwynn
03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
this is what i would recommend i have pretty much the same boat. TO does also and that is the way that i would mount it. i dont think you are going to find a rod older mount to work for you. they are for the gimble rod holders...

check out th3e mounts here

http://www.markiesmounts.com/

TroutOnly
03-22-2009, 11:26 AM
fishfinder ,if youre dr has the tube rod holder switch it out to an adjustable rod holder then you can turn the rod which ever direction makes it easy to work,and the kevlar line is way bewtter than the wire, i taight T/T that deal ,too bad you couldnt see my set up its way cool,,,,T/O

fishfinder
03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
fishfinder ,if youre dr has the tube rod holder switch it out to an adjustable rod holder then you can turn the rod which ever direction makes it easy to work,and the kevlar line is way bewtter than the wire, i taight T/T that deal ,too bad you couldnt see my set up its way cool,,,,T/O

i will check yours out next time i see you out there.
i have been thinking of installing a rear view morror on boat to watch my rods better cause whoever put the rod holders in the boat put them behind the driver seats.

fishfinder
03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Fishfinder-I own the exact model now and I am very please with it. Fishing in most lakes, you troll in ranges not much deeper than 50-60 feet, therefore, the manual unit works fine. For deep lake trolling such as for lake trout or ocean salmon then an electric unit is a must. In my experience, mounting and wiring of an electric units becomes more critical. Do not mount your unit too close to the rear of transom where you have to reach uncomfortable to load the unit. If you fishes alone then mount the unit in mid-ship where it is visible will be advantages. I once fished with a guy that have both rigger mounted in the bow, in front of his boat windshield, at first, I thought they were in the wrong area and it turned out to be the more pleasant trolling experience outing where you did not have to twist around to check your line (unless you have a reel with a "clicker" setting). I mounted my unit onto a 1/2 inch aluminum plate that mounted the rigger onto an adjustable mount. The plate is mounted securely onto the gunwale and the unit can be easily remove from the plate by 4 large wing-nuts. You must mount the unit onto a very secure mounting and do not insert it into a flimsy rod holder PVC type insert. I personally have not have a unit ripped from my boat but have know of such incidents. I only use the unit rod holder only when I am clipping my line onto the holder. I use another rod holder on extension away from the rigger that is more secure and flexible. Hope you find this information helpful and happy trolling.

very good advice thanks.................i know what to do now