PDA

View Full Version : searching for ghost shrimp

City Dad
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
anyone know of a place in the SM, Malibu, Pt Dume area which holds ghost shrimp?

Appreciate any help

pasadenafishin
03-18-2009, 03:56 PM
this might sound like a stupid question but, are you looking for a bait shop to buy them, or a beach to pump them at??

City Dad
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
this might sound like a stupid question but, are you looking for a bait shop to buy them, or a beach to pump them at??

i'm looking to pump them. can't fine em anywhere in the 818

cappo
03-18-2009, 04:30 PM
i havent heard of anyone having luck finding them on the westside. Theres some spots in MDR that look like it will hold some, but I dont have a pump.

calico killer kevin
03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
A few places in HH and NPH hold them, but it is dirty, messy, and time
consuming...not to mention the pumps. Are they supposed to suck the sand
in and keep it in there? Cause whenever I dig mine into the sand, before
I can get it to the surface, all the of it falls out hence not very many ghosties.
I just use a shovel and dig em up.

BIGRED KILLA
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Try balboa lake.

Bigred

davidth626
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
theres a place near malibu a lil passed zuma beach. its the first state beach passed zuma, matador state beach i think... walk down the dirt path and the even longer wooden staircase. accidentally found it when i stopped surf fishing because i lost my license so decided to bury my friend in sand and he said he saw some "transparent bugs?" looked at them and it turned out to be ghost shrimp. Didnt notice them at first but i looked around and they were all over the place. hope this helps

PS: friends and i were messing around 50 yards south of the staircase around this time of year.

fish4keep
03-19-2009, 06:23 AM
A few places in HH and NPH hold them, but it is dirty, messy, and time
consuming...not to mention the pumps. Are they supposed to suck the sand
in and keep it in there? Cause whenever I dig mine into the sand, before
I can get it to the surface, all the of it falls out hence not very many ghosties.
I just use a shovel and dig em up.

You have bad suction on the pump when that happens. The pump is suppose to slurp the water, some sand, and the ghostie/s from the tunnel the ghostie had dug. If you're getting your own ghosties, the pump is the way to go, digging for them is way more time consuming......

City Dad
03-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll let you know how I do!