PDA

View Full Version : new to saltwater

joebass
03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
i went to bps and bought a 9 foot penn captiva rod and 9000 captiva reel to fish the shore. the pole is 9 foot 10#-20# line and 1-3 oz wt.reel is at 12#-20# test. will this be ok? thnx for the advise

cappo
03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
If you're only going to be targeting sharks and rays, that will be fine. But if you wanted to target perch, croakers, and halibut then it is overkill.

City Dad
03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
ditto what cappo said regarding perch, and asst surf species.

Get yourself a med action spinning setup 6 to 8 feet long, 6lb line - ie. a trout rig - and have at it! Just be sure to rinse after each outing or you'll be replacing the reel in a couple weeks.

joebass
03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
thnx i took the setup back and got the inshore combo with 8# test 7 ft rod med action.i dont go shore fishing much so kept it at $120.00. also got some gulp alive camo worms and smelt bait with #2 bait hooks.i hope this will get me something.thnx 4 the replys.

calico killer kevin
03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Carolina rig those gulp worms, walk up and down the beach, and you should
do just fine. Good luck.

joebass
03-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Carolina rig those gulp worms, walk up and down the beach, and you should
do just fine. Good luck.

thnx bro.think i will head out somwhere around n.b or balboa? that area.any suggestions

calico killer kevin
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't surf fish anywhere near there because there is a harbor, but
I'm sure there are fish there.

joebass
03-19-2009, 06:31 PM
i see your name everywhere on these sites.where do you fish? on a boat or shore?

joebass
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't surf fish anywhere near there because there is a harbor, but
I'm sure there are fish there.
where do you like to fish?

City Dad
03-19-2009, 08:08 PM
IMHO, the Gulp worms are one of those rare things in life which live up to their reputation. They just work.

I go with a #4 or even a #6 mosqutio hook, but everyone has his or her own particular tastes.

Just about any open beach will hold fish. Some tend to be better than others. If you aren't catching or are getting short bit (which often means you've found a bunch of dinks) keep moving. When you find 'em it will be well worth it.

just remeber, this is spawing season - it is up to US to put those mammas back and keep the fishery decent.

you can find pictures of male and femal perch in this thread.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=27802

many people think the guy who wrote it is a complete knuckle-head, which is probably true... but the pictures might be worth looking at.

bsp
03-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Drop down to 4lb or 6lb flourocarbon on your leaders on the carolina rig, and downsize the hooks to size 6 or 8. I use Owner SSWs, but a comparable finesse hooks works just as well. Use a sinker that is heavy enough to keep you in contact with your bait, but light enough to be pushed around by the waves. A slow, steady retrieve is all you will need to get into the surf perch.

Focus your efforts on "structure" like the areas next to rip tides, the deep troughs formed near sandbars, and the deeper bowels in the sand that you can see because they are the areas where waves don't form. This is where the fish will hide because it stirs up food and gives them areas to ambush the food that washes in.

As for specific spots near you, I would try Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica State Beach.

calico killer kevin
03-20-2009, 12:13 AM
i see your name everywhere on these sites.where do you fish? on a boat or shore?
It's because I am everywhere.lol Basically, I like to fish everything ranging
from largemouth bass, to big gills, to tuna. But, I do prefer to fish saltwater
bass such as spotties, calicos, and sandies. I have a kayak so basically
anywhere I can paddle to is my range.

My favorite spots though, are Newport Harbor, Dana Point breakwall, La
Jolla, and Laguna Beach.

joebass
03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
great thnx for info.do i need a boat to fish newport habor and can i fish on shore? are there boat rentals there also.thnx again

calico killer kevin
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
great thnx for info.do i need a boat to fish newport habor and can i fish on shore? are there boat rentals there also.thnx again
You can rent skiffs from Davie Locker or you can fish it from shore. Shore can
be very productive at times especially around bridges and docks. The bass
in Newport Harbor are a little different than other bay bass in the way that
they love to stay around docks. Use a 1/4oz leadhead with any Big Hammer
that has green on it or smelt or sexy smelt colors. Pitch around docks and
retrieve slowly. Light line is KEY. I mean as light as you can go. I use 2lb, but
for beginners I would recommend 4lb or 6lb.

joebass
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
You can rent skiffs from Davie Locker or you can fish it from shore. Shore can
be very productive at times especially around bridges and docks. The bass
in Newport Harbor are a little different than other bay bass in the way that
they love to stay around docks. Use a 1/4oz leadhead with any Big Hammer
that has green on it or smelt or sexy smelt colors. Pitch around docks and
retrieve slowly. Light line is KEY. I mean as light as you can go. I use 2lb, but
for beginners I would recommend 4lb or 6lb.

great.you are the go to guy for info.thnx again kevin