PDA

View Full Version : Renting Trolling motors

goodguy
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey Vine staff... A thought just popped into my little head... Have you ever considered renting trolling motors to go along with your boats? Maybe like an additional $25 per boat or something??? Just a random thought...

goodguy
03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I guess a NO would have worked... But you could ignore me too that works...

HEMAN
03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
lol.. maybe try sending an email? $25 is kinda steep for a TM rental on a rental boat. I would say like $10 extra for all day?

goodguy
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
lol.. maybe try sending an email? $25 is kinda steep for a TM rental on a rental boat. I would say like $10 extra for all day?

It was just a question not a suggested price... I just wanted to bring up the topic...

sansou
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Good idea, but why not just buy a used trolling motor and battery and bring it to the lake? I see guys here in SD do it all the time, especially the bassers in the spring who go super slow to find nested fish.

The rowboat is $25 to rent at Irvine. Even if Irvine were to charge $10 to rent a TM, you would recoup your costs pretty quick if you were to buy one on your own...

goodguy
03-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Good idea, but why not just buy a used trolling motor and battery and bring it to the lake? I see guys here in SD do it all the time, especially the bassers in the spring who go super slow to find nested fish.

The rowboat is $25 to rent at Irvine. Even if Irvine were to charge $10 to rent a TM, you would recoup your costs pretty quick if you were to buy one on your own...

Yeah, this is a great idea for someone who can afford it... I'm lucky if I can afford a pay lake twice a year... That's pushing it some years even... If I had that much $$ sitting around I'd be able to go fishing more...

VineAssist
03-20-2009, 06:36 PM
We have considered this issue in the past. However, the cost to rent a trolling motor and maintain them would be a lot. Also you would have to figure in the damages side. I am not saying it will not happen but it seems unlikely.
I will bring it up at our next board meeting.

AnglerBob
03-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I know there is a tackle shop in SD that rents them for guys who fish the reservoirs there. I'm not sure how much demand there would be at Irvine.

I'm with Sansou—buying a basic hand-operated trolling motor and bringing it to the lake might be a winning idea. It's one more thing to haul around, though, plus the battery which has to be charged and fussed over. I found a perfectly workable trolling motor stuck in the mud at Castaic last year and have yet to use it. I have fantasies of turning bass pro with it, but I'm afraid the reality is that a detachable hand-operated 12 motor likely pales in comparison to the 24/36-volt, foot-operated $800 jobs you see on the nice bass boats. In a breeze, I think it'd be tough to manipulate it and try to cast at the same time.

If you like the idea of an electric motor so you can troll slower, dragging a bucket or sea anchor using the gas engine might work better. Trolling motors generally won't go all day.

trollmiester
03-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Mess your prop up on the regular or trolling motor at dvl is 100 dollars taken from your deposit you leave when you rent the boatThats two hundred for both damaged props. They show you the conditon when you rent it and when you turn it in. You sign when inspecting it and when u turn it in.

ghetto dad
03-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, this is a great idea for someone who can afford it... I'm lucky if I can afford a pay lake twice a year... That's pushing it some years even... If I had that much $$ sitting around I'd be able to go fishing more...

ure a lil feisty today, huh?? :ROFL:

GD

goodguy
03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
ure a lil feisty today, huh?? :ROFL:

GD

Yeah it was a bad day... hahaha :)

goodguy
03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
We have considered this issue in the past. However, the cost to rent a trolling motor and maintain them would be a lot. Also you would have to figure in the damages side. I am not saying it will not happen but it seems unlikely.
I will bring it up at our next board meeting.

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it... I figured this answer would most likely be what I got. I can imagine that the cost of maintanance etc. would usually outweigh what you got back... I appreciate your response, I was just curious...
thanks!

Hitts0n
03-21-2009, 11:58 AM
i'm lucky if i can afford a pay lake twice a year...

lma00 !! I hear you !:rofl:

Indo-angler
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I bought my own trolling motor, fish finder and battery (and charger) some time ago. There is a definite advantage to have it portable.

I have taken it out to Irvine (and other lakes), but I primarily got it for Diamond Valley. There is a difference of $50 between the basic and the bass boat rental. It pays in the long run and has helped me catch a lot more fish! (Though it is a drag to lug it up the ramp at DVL.)