PDA

View Full Version : Need info on fishing in the Sierras in the first week of April.

DMAN
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I have the first week of April off and I finally want to head to Bishop or somewhere up there, but I've never been there. I have no idea what's open, where to go, stay, or see. Any suggestions? If I'm not mistaken, the season doesn't open until the end of April. Any info would be appreciated.

gfishin
03-18-2009, 12:07 AM
whats up bro. Your best be is going to bishop and staying there at a hotel/motel. I usually stay at Ramada inn, in bishop on Elms. street. Then head on to the fishing grounds in the morning. last time we went to Crowley lake and limited out in the first 2 hours or so with 3 guys. But if your planning on going for the opener, its gonna be pretty crowded. I would head up north to the June lakes and mammoth area. good luck.

george,
gfishin

retired96
03-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Keep in mind the general season isn't open until April 25th. So right now you can only fish PVR and the Owens River. You can also now fish the creeks south of Independence on the west side of 395. The fishing in PVR and the Lower Owens has been excellent this winter.

I always stay at the Elms Motel next to the Ramada, rooms are cheaper and they have a nice fish cleaning sink and a freezer.

billy b
03-18-2009, 06:56 AM
If I read you right, you said the 1st week in April. The opener isn't until the last weekend in April. Thererfore, June loop, Crowley, Mammoth and all will not be open yet. You'll have to stay down the hill from Sherwin Grade south. Pleasant Valley Reservoir and the Lower Owens, however, have been really hot according to reports.

Sorry if I brought bad news.

SierraGuy
03-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I have the first week of April off and I finally want to head to Bishop or somewhere up there, but I've never been there. I have no idea what's open, where to go, stay, or see. Any suggestions? If I'm not mistaken, the season doesn't open until the end of April. Any info would be appreciated.

First weekend of april will still be good fishin in the southern sierra... those creeks from big pine south will be loaded with fish. The owens will be solid too.. but can't really give up the spots too easy, good luck man. Just fish the deep pools and bring warm clothes

retired96
03-18-2009, 07:33 AM
A slight correction Sierra Guy, You said Big Pine south, the early season is from Independence south for the creeks west side of 395 only.

My poor neighbor made the mistake a few years ago and was caught on the east side of 395 fishing the sand trap and it cost him 400.00